Power amp boost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power amp boost?

I recently aquired a Traynor YCS100 tube head with one hour of play on it and the warrant tag still on the handle for $600. Every day that I spend with it, I realize what a steal it was.

It's got a LOT of selling points and is the most versatile/feature-laden tube amp I've ever owned or plugged into. It's even got more versatility and gig-worthy features than the Hughes & Kettner Triamp MKI that I had last year.

One of those features is the Solo Boost function. The boost is adjustable and there is a switch for it on the floor switch. It functions on all there channels. The highest I've had it is on "5". And that takes the sound to a very LOUD level. And it's not like every other amp's boost function where they all seem to come from the preamp section. Because then you kick most/all of them in on an overdriven channel, they just add more drive/compression to the sound with very little actual gain in volume. This thing acts like you just reached over and cranked up the Master Volume knob when you kick it in. No compression and very little added breakup. Just L-O-U-D! So it's PERFECT for cutting through it all with your leads and not changing the tone of whatever channel you happen to be using at the time. I'm VERY impressed with this thing -- especially for the $$$.

Why don't more amps seem to have this function? Lots have a "boost", but it always seems to just be a Gain knob turned-up instead of a Master Volume-type boost.
    "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco
Working...
X