All about tubes 6550/KT88

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All about tubes 6550/KT88

I have search btu couldn't find a topic on those power tubes .

I would like to know :

1) Sonic differences between 6550 and KT88

2) Best model for 6550

3) Best model for KT88

For 2) and 3) could you explain your choice sand compare in detail
    if you have experience them ?

Re: All about tubes 6550/KT88

My Splawn Pro Mod uses KT88s and I've usually had the best results using JJs, though I've found their QC to be a little sketchy lately in some of the tubes I've had. A few of them were really noisy and were unusable in the amp. Other than that, I like the winged C tubes.
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

KT 88 is the most powerfull ,or better said ,power withstanding tube in common amps...
      If the PreAmp section has a well-driven output ,the KT88s are the perfect Powertubes.Clear ,tight and hard to overdrive.But if the the amp needs the Poweramp saturation like Marshall or Orange ,they can be really PITA ,since they have extreme bottom end ,need to driven hard ,wich means more volume etc...
      6550 are very similar ,but rounder tone .looser bottom ,and somehow more "friendly" to the ears...
      KT88 is the "tight" amp lover's choice...
      JJ KT88s are very popular...
      www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Funny , I read that 6550 where more tight dry and woody than KT88 ...

And what about Electro Harmonics 6550 and KT88, I read they are the same tube ?

JJ KT88 seems good , any comparison with Svetlana or EH or other brand ?
        Last edited by fab.regnaut; 03-13-2008, 10:24 AM.

Comment

many of the New Tung-Sol tubes have been rated very good. Like the 6L6 series and 6V6.... as well as the 5881. I haven't read anything on the 6550 but if the follow suit it should be a very good tube.....doesn't help out too much I know....but at least as of recent they have a good rep.

Comment

The 6550s are more brash and aggressive sounding to my ears. I really didn't care for them in my Marshall compared to the KT88s which had more bass and a rounded sound all around.

Luke
            “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

KT88= VHT Pittbull Ultra Lead

Dry, super tight & articuated.

Whenever someone mentions KT88, i automatically think VHT Pittbull UL.

Comment

So Kt88 seems more lush but still tight , and 6550 are more dry ?

Comment

Originally posted by fab.regnaut View Post
                  That's a pretty good description.
                  “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Pretty much, ja.

Although the KT88 are still dry- but the low end is tighter than the 6550's which seperate the 2 in comparison.

Try out a VHT Pittbull Ultra Lead (An ultra-tight amp) at a good volume (not too low, maybe around 4-5) & that's the archetypal KT88 sound.

Comment

6550..ZW Marshall JCM 800
                      KT88 Kerry King's JCM 800..Now you get the picture

6550 Saturates more ,since it distorts earlier ,and more aggresively
                      KT88 is the upgrade to 6650...It distorts much more later ,and it's more neutral or better said Loyal to the preamp sound...As you know ,as long as the Powertube get's distorted ,the definition and bottom end tightness get loose.So KT88 is for people who like to keep definition and tightness in high-gain ,high-volume situations...
                      www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Originally posted by daemon barbeque View Post
                        KT 88 is the most powerfull ,or better said ,power withstanding tube in common amps...
                        If the PreAmp section has a well-driven output ,the KT88s are the perfect Powertubes.Clear ,tight and hard to overdrive.But if the the amp needs the Poweramp saturation like Marshall or Orange ,they can be really PITA ,since they have extreme bottom end ,need to driven hard ,wich means more volume etc...
                        6550 are very similar ,but rounder tone .looser bottom ,and somehow more "friendly" to the ears...
                        KT88 is the "tight" amp lover's choice...
                        JJ KT88s are very popular...
                        Yeah.. I have KT88s in my 2203. HOLY HELL that is a loud amp. Said to put out 150-180 clean watts. And the bottom end is fat.

However, when the output distorts, its a beautiful sound. Fat, rich, warm yet aggressive etc. Not very tight, but this is a Marshall I am glad that you and Rid convinced me to not put EL-34s in this bugger

Comment

If the KT88's bottom end is fat , how can it be tight and articulate ;
                          maybe it is big but not fat/compressed ( because I want to avoid this ) ?

And what about the best models/brands for 6550 and KT88 ?

Comment

If the KT88's bottom end is fat , how can it be tight and articulate ;
                            maybe it is big but not fat/compressed ( because I want to avoid this ) ?

And what about the best models/brands for 6550 and KT88 ?
                            I've no idea how KT88 have huge bass but is still tight & articulated i'm afraid so my answer would be "they just do" Lol.

The best KT88 model surely has to be the VHT Pittbull Ultra Lead.

No clue on the best 6550 model although the Diezel Einstein head takes both 6550 or KT88 (As well as EL34 & 6L6) so that i suppose.

I'd definately go for the VHT P.UL for KT88 though.

Comment

Anymore comments on 6550/KT88 ?

Comment

Working...
                              X