Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: All about tubes 6550/KT88

Another note on the KT88:

I just started tracking lead parts yesterday on my band's new album, and I can say without hesitation that if you're trying to decide between Tesla KT88s and winged "C" KT88s, go Tesla every time. The difference is night and freaking day. I ran a bunch of tests in my Splawn Pro Mod and the Teslas beat the "C"s in almost every tonal category. It's like the difference between playing through an 8" speaker or a 12" speaker.
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

WooW , that much difference ?
      Could you elaborate a bit ; more tight ? full EQ ? etc

Did you record your tests ?

Comment

I didn't record the tests because my goal was to get the main lead tone I'd be using on the record. The attempts using the winged "C" tubes didn't even merit the mic pre being turned on.

I'll try to elaborate though.

The JJ's had more of everything. More response, bigger bass, bolder mids, smoother highs, a much smoother character and break-up. The amp felt "alive" with them much more so than with the C's. It sounded more Marshally, too, which is obviously what I was going for by using the Splawn.

I was also able to use much less gain from the preamp and still get a singing lead tone.

I'm no JJ's shill and honestly I'm a bit surprised that the difference was so severe, but seriously it was like night and day.

I'm running the amp at 1/2 power (about 60-70 watts) and to make sure I wasn't just using bad or near-dead tubes I even tried two separate matched pairs of the winged "C"s and there was no difference between them. My opinion, for what it is worth, is that they just suck compared to the Tesla KT88s in every category.
        Last edited by sosomething; 03-17-2008, 06:58 AM.
        -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

@ Fab- I thought you meant best AMP model which use KT88! Lol. Sorry about that. I can't help with which particlar KT88's since i don't own the VHT, but if SoSomething has tried 2 leading brands then you shoudl go with JJ's.

Comment

Yep I will go JJ .
            I went to Soso's myspace to see if he was employed by JJ
            , but no , and he has a good tone on their tunes .

Comment

Please note that I'm not saying JJ's KT88s are the best - I haven't tried every brand! Just that they're far better than the winged "C" KT88s to my ears!
              -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

OK !
                On the site "Tube Asylum" I read a lot of comments about KT88 , and a folk named Jim MacShane wrote that Svetlana SED KT88 is a turd !
                He much prefers the Electro Harmonics KT88 .

So it will be between the JJ and EH .

Comment

Yep - the SED is a turd. I don't usually pan stuff in this way but the guy is not incorrect.

I've never tried the EH ones. If you get those, let me know what you think.
                  -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

I have read that for hifi application the reissue Genalex Gold Lion
                    is the best KT88 of the new production .

I think I will try those .

Comment

Kerry kings jcm 800 2203kk is equipped with kt88's

Comment

Originally posted by acidparty View Post
                        And I'd sure like to have one! (I'd somehow ditch that tribal graphic though)

Comment

Originally posted by acidparty View Post
                          Welcome to the forum! I don't want to be mean to new visitors, but I have to point out that you just revived a decade-old thread to share that.

Comment

Working...
                          X