Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Now the downside thoughts of a 5150

Originally posted by Imp View Post
    ...but if you're still using the wrong cab you'll have all the same complaints

try a mate's cab or something?
    I have a V30 loaded Marshall 1960A and a VHT with Eminence's, I got that covered. What Binnerscot hit the area. I want a darker sounding amp but I hate recto sounding dark. I'm not a gain freak, I keep my 5150 below 3 on the gain. I don't like the smoothed over gainy sound, I like a clean dist. but still has kick. Mk 4 sounds good but I'm still curious about the Mk 3.
    Splawn Quickrod
    Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
    Marshall 1960A with Splawn SB speakers
    Mesa Boogie Standard cab with V30's

PRS CE24
    PRS Baritone
    Schecter custom fuzz

Comment

I am telling you bro, get a VHT head to sit on that VHT cab you have.
      I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

Originally posted by VIBROLUX View Post
        Got to play one at GC last week and it's still not my cupotea. I don't do the metal tone thing and like the midrange roar my 5150 and the mk 4's get. Remember I just got that cab cuz it was 150 bucks lol. I'll probably be trading it for a V30 loaded mesa or similar if I can find a trader. Their speakers are an odd choice. Must be good for their heads but eh for much anything else.
        Splawn Quickrod

PRS CE24
        PRS Baritone
        Schecter custom fuzz

Comment

Originally posted by VIBROLUX View Post
          +1

VHT is one of the few boutique amps I'd pay the coin for. Very cool amps.

Jacob re: the MKIII- Think Master of Puppets, AJFA and John Sykes on Whitesnakes 1987 (though he played the massive colliseum heads, it was a MKIII pre-amp). Classic Brad Gillis/Jeff Watson of Night Ranger are Mark II and MKIII amps.

The IIB/C and MKIIIs are very highly regarded.

I think you should look into a MESA Stiletto too. I do think it's more along the lines of what you are talking about. they can be bright, but it really depends on the speakers and EQ settings.

And Celestion 75s will give you a darker, tighter, less raspy tone as well.
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Cool man... I understand if you don't dig it.

Did you have any idea that I used to twang my B Bender through a VHT??? ;-)

I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceShipOne View Post
              Got to play one at GC last week and it's still not my cupotea. I don't do the metal tone thing .
              ? Have you played the Deliverance?
              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Mk IV will cut your ears off with high mids.

Those amps are an exercise in compromise - spend some time with one and you will see. They have a ton of flexibility but the shared EQ and global functions really tie your hands when it comes to getting good sounds across all the channels...

And, as I said, it can be PEAKY AS HELL in the high mids.

For you Jacob, and keep in mind I've listened to a number of your clips through the years and know the kind of tones you go for... I'd probably recommend a newer Splawn Quick Rod with the improved clean channel.

Of course, you're going to buy a Mk IV because your mind was made up before you even posted this thread - you know everything already and no one can tell you otherwise.
                -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Ha I have no idea Greg! Sweet! I will say they have an incredible clean channel, that's for sure. Sosomething, I looked up John Sykes and Metallica's AJFA gear to be sure and James said they scooped post the guitar tracks so that scraps that and Sykes does so many freakin layers he could make a clean fender sound mushy. The others I'll check out!
                  Splawn Quickrod

PRS CE24
                  PRS Baritone
                  Schecter custom fuzz

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
                    Mk IV will cut your ears off with high mids.

Those amps are an exercise in compromise - spend some time with one and you will see. They have a ton of flexibility but the shared EQ and global functions really tie your hands when it comes to getting good sounds across all the channels...

And, as I said, it can be PEAKY AS HELL in the high mids.

For you Jacob, and keep in mind I've listened to a number of your clips through the years and know the kind of tones you go for... I'd probably recommend a newer Splawn Quick Rod with the improved clean channel.

Of course, you're going to buy a Mk IV because your mind was made up before you even posted this thread - you know everything already and no one can tell you otherwise.
                    Don't be an A hole in my thread. A splawn didn't cross my mind....just looked up prices, probably a little outta the range I wanna spend. Those are literally the best sounding live amps I've ever heard. Recorded they're pretty smooth though. Travis Wyrick uses em on Pillar, Disciple, and Eowyn cd's and recorded wasn't that inspiring. But man that smooth makes a live sound KILL!
                    Splawn Quickrod

PRS CE24
                    PRS Baritone
                    Schecter custom fuzz

Comment

I'm not SoSomething, but whatever

Go check out Youtube clips of Blue Murder...live. Tell me Sykes' tone is all that different without the multitracks.

For NR check out (You can Still) Rock In America, Touch of Madness, Don't Tell me You love Me, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                        I'm not SoSomething, but whatever

Go check out Youtube clips of Blue Murder...live. Tell me Sykes' tone is all that different without the multitracks.

For NR check out (You can Still) Rock In America, Touch of Madness, Don't Tell me You love Me, etc.
                        Hmm, interesting. 300 watt coliseum heads, that would hurt in every area.

There are two accurate reps of the Mark 4 I'm basing on, one is this video of JP's rig with Mark 4's that he even tells you what channels he's using. The rhythm parts mostly, lead is great but lots of delay.
                        John petrucci guitar rig 2007/2008 mesa boogie dream theater musicman guitars

And Lamb of God live with their Mark 4's. A very different sound that JP gets, both tones are great to my ears, very present and kicks.
                        Last edited by SpaceShipOne; 04-17-2008, 07:21 AM.
                        Splawn Quickrod

PRS CE24
                        PRS Baritone
                        Schecter custom fuzz

Comment

Don't be an A hole in my thread.
                          I'm myself here, there and everywhere - deal with it or put me on your ignore list.

You know how you are.

You ask for advice and then ignore it every single time.

That says less about me and more about you. I'm just pointing it out. Anyway......

A splawn didn't cross my mind....just looked up prices, probably a little outta the range I wanna spend. Those are literally the best sounding live amps I've ever heard. Recorded they're pretty smooth though. Travis Wyrick uses em on Pillar, Disciple, and Eowyn cd's and recorded wasn't that inspiring. But man that smooth makes a live sound KILL!
                          Those Disciple guys have gone out of their way to make the Splawns sound as little like Splawns as humanly possible. There is no way they're not low-passing the crap out of the guitar tracks on their records.

That said, it's still a smooth-sounding amp, but the presence knob is your friend in the studio.

Do what you want!
                          -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
                            Those Disciple guys have gone out of their way to make the Splawns sound as little like Splawns as humanly possible. There is no way they're not low-passing the crap out of the guitar tracks on their records.

That said, it's still a smooth-sounding amp, but the presence knob is your friend in the studio.

Do what you want!
                            Disciple is the perfect example of a label destroying a band. They changed their music, image, and even gear to suite the label. Now their guitarist and main writer and bassist have left because they can't stand it anymore. And yea, Travis is the "king of commercial" in the Christian industry and everything that comes outta his studio sounds exactly the same. Rubbish.
                            Splawn Quickrod

PRS CE24
                            PRS Baritone
                            Schecter custom fuzz

Comment

Don't be an A hole in my thread. A splawn didn't cross my mind....just looked up prices, probably a little outta the range I wanna spend. Those are literally the best sounding live amps I've ever heard. Recorded they're pretty smooth though. Travis Wyrick uses em on Pillar, Disciple, and Eowyn cd's and recorded wasn't that inspiring. But man that smooth makes a live sound KILL!
                              I've read this about 6 times now, were you being serious!? I thought at first "Jakeson HAS to be just joking here!" And then I was like "Well it is Jacoby." And then I was like "But how could he be serious? Seriously!?" And then I was like "But it is Jacrumb."

Dude, Adam was being really nice (especially with his 'I've listened to your clips' comment). Why'd you have to crap in his mouth?

Comment

Originally posted by BigAlTheBird View Post
                                I've read this about 6 times now, were you being serious!? I thought at first "Jakeson HAS to be just joking here!" And then I was like "Well it is Jacoby." And then I was like "But how could he be serious? Seriously!?" And then I was like "But it is Jacrumb."

Dude, Adam was being really nice (especially with his 'I've listened to your clips' comment). Why'd you have to crap in his mouth?
                                His comment had nothing to do with the thread and was meant to do nothing but be a butt. Simple as that. Now back to the thread's purpose. I still haven't found much info on the Mark 3 and the differences between the 3 and 4.
                                Splawn Quickrod

PRS CE24
                                PRS Baritone
                                Schecter custom fuzz

Comment

Working...
                                X