Now the downside thoughts of a 5150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now the downside thoughts of a 5150

I absolutely love my 5150 and it has served me well, but I feel a tug in another direction. The 5150 lacks a tightness a smoothness I crave. That buzz they have drives me bonkers at times and solos just don't sing the way I want. They kinda bubble off. I don't use tons of gain which is what solves this problem, so I guess I really need another channel. So I've been thinkin, I might want something tighter, a little more dark, metal sounding but still can get around other areas somewhat, singing sustain for those solos, and multiple channels....finally, a good clean sound! Need an effects loop that can be turned on and off and would prefer it to have 16 and 8 ohm plugs. Now don't kill me, I'll be working this summer making a LOT of money so that's not a huge issue, but I'm thinkin.......................Mesa Mark IV. Always loved that thing and has been the only amp I'd ever replace my 5150 with. What do you think, anybody own one and can say anything about it? Here's a video with GREAT tone, and it's just a guitar into a mark IV. The only thing I'm worried about is it being too clean on the gain if that makes sence. Gotta play better lol.

DT Cover BSB rehearsal. Felipe Campos on Bass, Paulinho 'Portnoy' on drums, Thiago Campos on guitar! Recorded on April 2nd, 2008. Expect a few mistakes on t...
    Splawn Quickrod
    Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
    Marshall 1960A with Splawn SB speakers
    Mesa Boogie Standard cab with V30's

PRS CE24
    PRS Baritone
    Schecter custom fuzz

Re: Now the downside thoughts of a 5150

Like your sound is not muffled enough already???

Comment

Why not just get it modded?

Voodoo Amps, the very best in 100% hand-wired tube amps

MKIVs are great amps. But they need alot of volume to deliver the metal goods, and frankly a MKIII kicks it's @$$ at those kinds of tones. The MKIV has alot more versatility, but it can also be a PITA to get dialed in. Its almost TOO much.

Spend a couple to few hundred and get the 5150 modded

OR

try some different speakers...you'd be surprised.
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Mesa sounds good??
        Since when??

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo Amps
          Standard Mod™: $295.00 - Description/Specs:

All Modifications are exclusive to Voodoo Amps™
          We remove the fuzzy/buzzy characteristics in favor or of gain that is more articulate/defined/clear
          The bottom end is tightened up while still being fun to play on
          Channel one/clean channel - is more cleaner & more open sounding
          Bias Mod - Amp is converted to adjustable bias & is included in all Mods (normally $49.95 extra)
          We balance out the frequencies so the amp is more even sounding over all as well as responsive
          Sustain is increased - The amp is more fluid and smooth
          Harmonic content is improved - pinch harmonics come out better
          The EQ section is more active, musical & flexible over all
          Cranked tones at lower volumes & the amp will also sound great at higher volumes
          The amp will be able to cut through the mix better live as well as in the recording studio
          All features will still function the same - We do not add/remove any tubes nor do we drill any holes
          We do not modify the FX-Loop or the switching system, only the preamp & power amp
          Add-On Controls are not available for this model
          Note: Channel 1 makes for a better crunch channel verses a clean channel - if you want a better clean channel we recommend a 5150 II or 6505 Plus
          Voodoo Mods™ retain your amps resale value verses decreasing it
          Average turn-around time 3-5 days - rush service is available
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by Rid View Post
            Mesa sounds good??
            Since when??
            Niels you gotta play a Stiletto (v2) !

Seriously.

Comment

....bah...

Comment

Originally posted by Rid View Post
                ....bah...
                <------------------See my Avatar

Comment

Never liked a single Mesa in my life.....I have tried the Stilettos.....somewhere it still sounds like a Mesa...

Comment

A good point to bring up, what's the difference between the mk 3 and 4? The three is quite a bit cheaper.
                    Splawn Quickrod
                    Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
                    Marshall 1960A with Splawn SB speakers
                    Mesa Boogie Standard cab with V30's

PRS CE24
                    PRS Baritone
                    Schecter custom fuzz

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceShipOne View Post
                      I absolutely love my 5150 and it has served me well, but I feel a tug in another direction. The 5150 lacks a tightness a smoothness I crave. That buzz they have drives me bonkers at times and solos just don't sing the way I want. They kinda bubble off. I don't use tons of gain which is what solves this problem, so I guess I really need another channel. So I've been thinkin, I might want something tighter, a little more dark, metal sounding but still can get around other areas somewhat, singing sustain for those solos, and multiple channels....finally, a good clean sound! Need an effects loop that can be turned on and off and would prefer it to have 16 and 8 ohm plugs. Now don't kill me, I'll be working this summer making a LOT of money so that's not a huge issue, but I'm thinkin.......................Mesa Mark IV. Always loved that thing and has been the only amp I'd ever replace my 5150 with. What do you think, anybody own one and can say anything about it? Here's a video with GREAT tone, and it's just a guitar into a mark IV. The only thing I'm worried about is it being too clean on the gain if that makes sence. Gotta play better lol.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4IJ4yVvHBuQ
                      The Mark IV sucks!

Buy it and send it to me. In return you get the AWESOME Marshall MG30dfx.

Is it a deal?

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceShipOne View Post
                        I might want something tighter, a little more dark, metal sounding but still can get around other areas somewhat, singing sustain for those solos, and multiple channels....finally, a good clean sound! Need an effects loop that can be turned on and off and would prefer it to have 16 and 8 ohm plugs.
                        A MKIV will get you all of that, though I wouldn't call the MKIV a dark sounding amp. Its razor sharp attack and smooth character tend to be middle of the road to bright sounding depending on your settings. You get some serious thump, but the low mid voicing doesn't give a very dark tone like a Recto (for example). The MKIV is a great amp, endless hours of fun!
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

...but if you're still using the wrong cab you'll have all the same complaints

try a mate's cab or something?

Comment

Have you considered a VHT?
                            I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

Apart from the switchable loop an Engl Blackmore head should be exactly what you want.
                              - 03 B.C. Rich Custom Shop Stealth EMG 81(n)/89(m)/60(n)
                              - 04 Malmsteen Sig. Strat DMZ HS-3(b)/YJM(m)/YJM(n)
                              - 05 Line 6 Variax 700
                              - 08 Schecter C-7 Hellraiser Blackout N/B
                              - 04 B.C. Rich NJ beast(Speedloader) SD Dimebucker(b)/Full Shred(n)
                              - 99 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock SD Dimebucker(b)/Full Shred(n)
                              - Clarity(by Johnson) Ovation Copy
                              - Takamine acoustic(not sure abut year and model)
                              -Engl Sovereign 100 Vintage 1x12 Combo + Engl Pro 4x12 (V30s)

Comment

Working...
                              X