Jet City JCA100H Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet City JCA100H Review

Well I've had this for a couple of weeks now, and only recently had a chance to crank it.

For those who don't know about Jet City, it's a company that was set up by Mike Soldano and a couple of other guys. A lot of the amp circuit designing is done by Mike Soldano himself - including custom specs for the transformers. The flagship amp, the JCA100H features the overdrive channel design from the Soldano Hot Rod+. They also make a JCA50H (50W version of the 100H), a JCA20H (20W 1 channel crunch monster), and a combo version as well. There is one particular amp (to be released) called the PicoValve, designed by Andy Marshall of THD, based on the UniValve.

Aside from amps, they also make cabs based on Soldano cab designs, as well as an isolation cab especially for recording, and they will soon be making a series of effects pedals.

Manufacturing is all done offshore, in China. That said, Mike Soldano and his partners frequently visit the factory there and ensure that quality standards are up to Mike's specifications, and that quality assurance is top notch.

As a result of this offshore manufacturing, the costs are much cheaper than similar built in USA products would be, but since the designs, specs, and tolerances all have to meet Soldano standards, the amps sound fantastic.

I mentioned I had a chance to crank my JCA100H and find out what it's made of. Evidently, half a cow was stuffed into the headshell. Seriously though, it runs 5 12ax7s and a quad of 6L6s.

This thing is beefy as hell on the overdrive channel (full gain). Playing through a Mesa Boogie Rectifier cab (V30s), it sounded massive. Sort of halfway between a Dual Rectifier and a Peavey 6505 (ironic, considering both those amps borrow a lot in terms of preamp circuit design from the Soldano SLO). Big bottom end that can be loose and smooth if you want, or tight and percussive. The mids are very present - in a good way - whether or not you scoop them with the 3 band EQ. Highs are smooth and usable. Never does this amp get shrill or harsh sounding, even with the treble and presence dimed. There is a pronounced Low and Low-mid character to this amp, which is what gives it so much beefy punchiness and body.

It excels at crunchy low to mid-gain settings. You can turn up the gain on the Normal channel if you want to get a nice overdriven tone, or you can dime it for a really thick crunch. Where the normal channel leaves off in terms of gain, the overdrive channel picks up. Low gain settings on the overdrive channel are thick and crunchy, getting progressively more saturated as you turn up the gain. Great JCM800 kinda tones as well, but more beefy because of the low/low-mid oomph. Regardless of where you set your gain levels on either channel, the amp stays exceptionally clear sounding and has a really interesting ability to really sing when playing leads.

Cleans can be almost sparkly with the Normal gain set low, but it is not a Fender type clean. It's definitely got some warmth in the lows and mids, with a smooth top end, but I haven't yet played single coils through it, so I'm not sure how they would sound (awesome, I'm sure, but this isn't a fender, so it won't sound like one).

the interface is extremely simple.

two channels with independent gain control and volume control.
    Shared 3 band EQ
    Presence
    single button channel switching footswitch comes included
    FX Loop, like most Soldanos, does not have level controls, but I don't use an FX loop anyway so it was a moot point for me.
    Speaker jacks for 4 ohms (2), 8 ohms (2) and 16 ohms (1)

Overall, fantastic amp, and it sounds even better with a TS9 in front of it.

I am happy
    Last edited by CTN; 09-03-2010, 10:25 PM.

Re: Jet City JCA100H Review

Glad to hear you like it so much. I am really interested in Jet City Amps, but I don't know if I can get over the 6L6 thing....I have myself convinced that EL34's are the way to go. I love the Marshall sound so much. However, there are a lot of people raving about Jet City....especially for the money.

It's really good to hear a hands on review from a forum bro.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

Well, I have to check up on whether they can run EL34s...but I know their transformers are built well enough to handle even KT88s with just a little biasing.

But this is something I've been curious about as well, running either EL34s or KT77s. I'll email Doug at Jet City and see what he says.

Comment

How much headroom does it really have with humbuckers?

Comment

TONS.

granted, if you have really hot humbuckers, it'll be easier to overdrive the clean channel, but in that case, you can always keep the gain on the clean channel low and crank up the channel volume to keep your sound clean and loud.

Comment

Nice review!

I was extremely impressed with the 20 watter. I've played a couple SLOs , and I certainly would not say these have the SLOs harmonic structure, depth, brilliance or overall jizz factor, but for the money these are insanely good sounding amps- Looking for a good 80s+ hard rock modded marshall type sound, these fit the bill better than anything Marshall makes these days. Very surprising considering the EL84s- its pretty aggressive for an EL84 amp- does not have the sweetness/compression/jangle usually associated with that tube. The distortion side anyway is great- the 20w has little clean headroom and the tone is a bit pedestrian, I've not played the 100W, should be improved there.
            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Jeff, I think you may have found the tone "pedestrian" in the 20-watter because of the tubes. As soon as I swapped those out, it made a world of difference, and it is a GREAT sounding amp. I was very impressed at the store, but once I started really getting to know it at home, I fell in love.

You're right about the clean headroom. There is very little. However, the cleans really are nicer than they seem to get credit for. You're just not going to get the amp loud using them. I think that's where the higher-wattage heads come in.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                Jeff, I think you may have found the tone "pedestrian" in the 20-watter because of the tubes. As soon as I swapped those out, it made a world of difference, and it is a GREAT sounding amp. I was very impressed at the store, but once I started really getting to know it at home, I fell in love.

You're right about the clean headroom. There is very little. However, the cleans really are nicer than they seem to get credit for. You're just not going to get the amp loud using them. I think that's where the higher-wattage heads come in.

I should clarify, I was talking purely about the cleans on the 20w when I used the term "pedestrian"- the distortion side is impressive.
                I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

COOL!

I was thinking about getting one but ran into a XXX with my name on it instead.

I love my 20wt 333, great little amp!
                  My Bands -
                  https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                  www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                  www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                  GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Great review, I have been looking at the JCA for a while now. Have you tried to run a fuzz through it by any chance?

Comment

I havent had the chance to run one yet. I really liked the 20 watter!
                      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Thanks for the review. I've been seeing those amps for sale at ok prices but I've been a bit wary about the quality at the price point. It's nice to hear that it's good.

Do you know how it compares to the JCA100H Plus?
                        There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one

Comment

Didnt see the answer to this question.. Whats the diff tween the JCA100H and the JCA100HDM?? 50/100 switching??
                          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

the HDM has the soldano depth mod, 50/100W switching, and it's also got a slightly different set of output transformers i believe.

sounds a little bit smoother, and a tad more compressed, not as open and airy as the 100H

Comment

thanks

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                              X