banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

general differences between 12a*7 and 5751 tubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• general differences between 12a*7 and 5751 tubes?

just curious as my new amp has a 5751 front. What are your thoughts?
    tele / wolfie
    pittbull 50cl
    greenbacks

Re: general differences between 12a*7 and 5751 tubes?

similar to a 12ax7 but with less gain. usually gives you a brighter, cleaner sound, little less compressed when running the volume up high on a nmv amp

Comment

The 5751 is a military spec tube, with a gain of 70, vs the 12AX7's gain of 100. Thus it is going to be closer to a 12AT7 (gain of 60) in terms of gain than a 12AX7. However, because it is a military spec tube, it is supposed to be more rugged than a 12AX7 or 12AT7
      Originally posted by ratherdashing
      If you don't see the value of a good 1 watt tube amp, it probably means one or more of the following:

- You live out in the country
      - You hate your neighbours
      - You mistakenly believe that your big amp with the master volume at 0.5 sounds good
      - You love solid state amps
      - You don't actually play guitar
      - You kick puppies

Comment

Can't add much more to what's been said already, very accurately put the above posters.
        Switching it for a 12AX7 would increase the gain and decrease the head room a little too.
        "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

as a side note: genuine 5751 tubes are balanced, as per military spec.
          " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

What I have noticed is they overdrive differently. The 12AX7 smooths out and darkens, while the 5751 clips like a power amp tube and is bright and open. If you're looking to add a bright harmonically rich edge(spank & sparkle) to an amp the 5751 makes a good compliment. I use a 12AX7 in the first stage and a 5751 in the second stage of my ADA MP-1, since I can drive each stage seperately. Together they give a lush harmonically rich distortion.

Comment

That reminds me, I've been meaning to try a 5751 in my 18 Watter.
              Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
              Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

100% interchangeable ?
                tele / wolfie
                pittbull 50cl
                greenbacks

Comment

Originally posted by PVFan View Post
                  100% interchangeable ?
                  As far as I know, yes. A Fender Champ with a 12AY7 in the first stage and a 5751 in the second is instant SRV/Knopfler.

Comment

5751 - This is the "milspec" version of the 12AX7, but is also slightly different. The 5751 has the same plate resistance as the 12AX7, but the gain factor is only 70 compared to 100 for the 12AX7. The 12AT7 also has a gain factor of 70, but since the plate resistance is different, the 5751 is closer to the 12AX7. The older "real" 5751's have extra thick mica spacers and extra support rods to minimize microphonic response. 5751's also have matched triode units. Late versions produced by Philips/ECG don't have the extra support and don't perform as well as the older 5751's.

My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by PVFan View Post
                      100% interchangeable ?
                      Yeah, you can change them. Here's some info for you.

Preamp Tube Gain Factor. Tweak your guitar amp's gain to optimize your tone!

"The gain factor of a tube simply measures how much it amplifies the input signal. For example, the common 12AX7 type has a gain factor of 100, while a 5751 (which is often used in place of a 12AX7) has a gain factor of 70. This means that if you plug a 5751 into a socket that expects a 12AX7, the pre-amp will have about 30% less gain. Not only will this make the amp quieter, but it can also alter the sound by making the power section work harder when you turn it up. Many guitar amp users (particularly harmonica players) like to reduce the gain to get a different sound or calm the amp down to prevent feedback."
                      Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                      Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

"Mike I got your name from Myles's on the Dr Z forum. He's the one that recommended the NOS RCA 5751 for the V2 in my Carmen Ghia. Wow, I have never changed one tube that made such a big positive change in any of my Amps. I bought my Ghia new about two months ago and am now changing out the stock tubes. Thanks, Russ"

My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by Koreth View Post
                          The 5751 is a military spec tube, with a gain of 70, vs the 12AX7's gain of 100. Thus it is going to be closer to a 12AT7 (gain of 60) in terms of gain than a 12AX7. However, because it is a military spec tube, it is supposed to be more rugged than a 12AX7 or 12AT7
                          . Except in my opinion 12AT7's suck in gain stages. Admittedly similar in gain but 5751's sound much better in my opinion.

Comment

9 year bump for that eh?

i dont know if 12at7's suck in gain stages but they do react differently than the 5751 even if they have similar gain. in some amps i like a 12at7 better than the 5751 but these tend to be older style non-mv amps. although i did like the 12at7 in an old matchless sc30 a ton for whatever reason

Comment

But a good bump. I've got a couple of NOS mil-spec 5751's that I was thinking of trying in my little Tubemeister 5. Good info.

Comment

Working...
                              X