Sustain only pedal ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sustain only pedal ?

It sounds to me like the "Sustain" mode on that Mad Professor pedal is just slowing the attack on the compressor down, so that transients still spike through, while bumping up the tail end of the note. Any compressor with a variable attack should be able to accomplish the same thing.

Barring weird hold-and-loop stuff like the EHX Freeze (at least, I THINK that's what it does...) you can't have sustain without compression. That's why the Boss pedal would't let you seperate the two functions: one is simply a byproduct of the other. I guess the trick, then, if to find a compressor that either has the flexibility of control, or just defaults to, a sound you like.

One option would be the Duncan Double Back, which has three modes of mixing back in your uncompressed signal, either full range (several other pedals do this too), mostly the mids, or mostly the highs. A ton of flexibility in that pedal, though flexibility comes at the price of fiddliness, which may or not appeal to you.
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

maniac sustainiac is a wild way of doing it. lots of cats used them in the 80s
      or an ebow is another left field way of getting infinite sustain...
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Thnx for all the input. I have been checking back.

I just want the note, lets say when I'm bending - to last a little longer. Some areas of the fretboard don't last as long as others. Sometimes I bend with my first finger - and the note I'm holding never sustains as long as when I bend with my third finger. Or when I try to get two bends out of 1 note if you know what I mean - the lack of sustain limits me.

I am really leaning towards a Barber Tone Press right now.
        But the White Horse up for trade and the Double Back are things I will look into before a decision.
        And - I'm really hesitant to start 'modding' my guitars. I want to keep them all stock.
        I'm not too afraid to do a trem block, but I would rather have a pedal I could use on all my guitars.

Comment

the oldest method in the world is just picking more smoothly and a little softer, also a good vibrato in your note will increase sustain a too.
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by Crane View Post
            I just want the note, lets say when I'm bending - to last a little longer. Some areas of the fretboard don't last as long as others. Sometimes I bend with my first finger - and the note I'm holding never sustains as long as when I bend with my third finger.
            This is a technique problem. Most people get more (and more even) pressure down with the third finger than the first. The additional pressure from the string onto the fret keeps the note ringing longer. With your 1st finger it's harder to keep the same amount of even pressure down, so you're getting less sustain. I don't think that new gear will solve your problem with this.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Crane View Post
                I just want the note, lets say when I'm bending - to last a little longer. Some areas of the fretboard don't last as long as others. Sometimes I bend with my first finger - and the note I'm holding never sustains as long as when I bend with my third finger. Or when I try to get two bends out of 1 note if you know what I mean - the lack of sustain limits me.
                Honestly, and it's probably not the advice you're looking for... I'd try other guitars. If it's just a slight bit more sustain you want it sounds like you just might need a guitar that has more natural sustain.

www.guardiancustoms.com

Comment

Well, I got the Barber Tone Press and couldn't be happier.
                  I leave the pedal on all the time.
                  It adds a few seconds of sustain and that is all I wanted AND I have it set so that I don't get that snap or too compressed sound.

Comment

I hate to resurrect a super old thread but I have been looking for something like this as well. I play slide and I do not want to compress the dynamics of my guitar but I want to be able to run some super long lines with one pluck of the string. I can usually get 8+ notes, depending on how fast I play them. Being able to play the amp and guitar louder helps but not always possible. I have looked at the slide rig but it still compresses your sound and the EHX freeze seems to loop one note but not the notes you are playing

Comment

You can do this with a Fernandes Sustainer pickup, or an Ebow.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The Sustainiac is another option.

Comment

Working...
                        X