Looking for 2x12 small cabinet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for 2x12 small cabinet

Smaller the better. I think I have it narrowed down to a Mesa, Randall, Vader or Carvin 2x12. I prefer a smaller footprint and especially shorter than the taller 2x12s like the Orange and Avatar types. Any other cabs I may have overlooked? I might even consider a Carvin SX 2x12 amp as the amp itself is the same size of their 2x12 cabinet which is compact. I could remove the amp section if it sucks and just put in a 1 space EQ or something and from the used prices I could get a Carvin SX200/SX300 for cheaper than buying a new Carvin 212 cabinet by itself.

Re: Looking for 2x12 small cabinet

Hermida Audio makes small, lightweight speaker cabinets. Hermida Audio.

Comment

Thanks but not digging the speaker layout and it is on the taller end at 19" as most of the cabs I mentioned are 18" or less. Also price is pretty steep at $275 before shipping with no speakers plus not digging the no-grill look either. Thanks for trying though.

Comment

* Carvin GS212: 17.5"H x 26"W x 10.25"D - $219 new

* Carvin SX200/300: 17.5"H x 26"W x 10.25"D - $269 new

* Carvin V212: 17.5"H x 26"W x 10.25"D - $299 new

* Laney Cub Cab: 18.43"H x 26.97"W x 9.25"D - $199 new

* Mesa Stilletto: : 15.25"H x 26.75"W x 12.75"D - $300 to $400ish used

* Randall RT series: 14.2"H x 29.5"W x 18.5"D - $299 new

* Vader 2x12: 18"H x 30"W x 14"D - $300 to $400ish used

On the higher end for a new cabinet the most I'd spend for a loaded cab (but not likely unless they are great but doubt it since nobody talks about them) is the:

* Laney GS212IE: 14"H x 28.15"W x 17.9"D - $329 new
        Last edited by Fusion1; 04-05-2011, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Leaning towards the Randall for sheer metal look and bonus points for having casters with no extra charge AND one of the shortest of all the cabinets. 2nd choice is one of the Carvin options and either one of these are still less than a new Avatar cabinet and MUCH smaller. I did want to state I am looking for best bang for buck as well.

Comment

you seem to be into the metal look

I would rule out the open back cabs then; you wont get bass response that you need for hard rock/metal. thats not good cause that laney $200 cab looks pretty sweet and weighs only 30 pounds!! that would be nice to carry, but then again a fender pro junior weighs less than that if your going for weight and not hard rock tone.

I have an Orange 2x12 closed back that weighs 61 lbs. its a pain to carry but easier than a 4x12. casters dont help for the stairs etc. 2x12s from orange are cool cause you can tilt em sideways and the head still fits on top, and no casters, so the bass response is better since the speakers meld into the floor for better bass response.

heavier is generally better sounding, what head do you have? the speakers and cab and head need to match well.

Comment

I had one of those cheap Crate V-series 2x12 cabs stolen and it sounded fine even with the crap speakers once they were broken in. Till now I haven't looked for a replacement 2x12. If it had been a smaller cabinet it may not have gotten stolen since I wouldn't have minded to take it back and forth from rehearsals, but it was a PITA to schlep around, so I just left it at the bass player's place and his roomate or his roomate's buddy stole it.

I've used my Polytone Mega Brain head through it, my variety of low watt tube amps and my main practice amp my Pignose G40V. I use other heads for metal Line 6 Spider III HD150, Peavey XXL but for metal I'd want one of my 4x12s. The Carvin V212 is closed or a removable panel for an open back sound. Also would mention that Jetcity 2x12 as it is either open or closed back with removable panel and it is cheap at $199? but it is tall and bulky, same with the cheap $199 Bugera 2x12 kind of bulky, and I'm not down with that if I have to take it to and from whenever I am playing.
              Last edited by Fusion1; 04-06-2011, 12:31 AM.

Comment

I do dig the metal look even though this band I am in isn't playing metal. I could see me using my Pignose G40V sitting sideways on that Randall RT cabinet and seeing people's confused looks. Better yet the Randall 2x12 on the side as a verticle 2x12 and the Pignose on top. Then again I could see using my new Bogner Alchemist head sitting on that Randall as well.

Last edited by Fusion1; 04-06-2011, 12:43 AM.

Comment

I use a Mesa 212 V30 Maverick combo, and I like to sit it on a Mesa 212 Horizontal Recto. Nice little portable half-stack. Closed-back Recto adds some nice projection and thump to the bottom end of the Maverick. They are spendy, but I think Mesa does some of the best cabinetry in the biz. They keep their value well. If you find an older Fender Bassman or Bandmaster small 212, they are very good too.

Good luck!

Bill
                  When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I personally like the Cravin
                    Originally posted by grumptruck
                    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                    Originally posted by Gear Used
                    PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
                    Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
                    Mesa Stiletto Ace
                    Gurus 5015
                    Mesa Widebody 1X12
                    Pedalboard

Comment

i think the Marshall 1936 is the short 2x12 in their range. Might not be what your after and may be a bit pricy in the states
                      It's a valve sporker... it sporks valves

Comment

mwalluk, have you played through a Carvin or just like what you'd seen/read about?

boogiebill, thanks for that info on the Mesas. If I could find one local for sale for cheap I'd be on it, but I never see them for sale that often near me but on craigslist in other cities out of state for they turn up now and then usually fairly cheap.
                        Last edited by Fusion1; 04-06-2011, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Uk Ant View Post
                          i think the Marshall 1936 is the short 2x12 in their range. Might not be what your after and may be a bit pricy in the states
                          Actually I just looked it up and it seems like one of the largest 2x12s I've come across.

23.62"H x 29.53"W x 12.20"D

They actually advertise the 1936 cabinet as being one of the few that fit full size heads which means it's at least as wide as a 4x12. Basically it is one of the tallest and widest 2x12s I've seen and is the exact opposite of what I am looking for.

Comment

you have alot of guitar heads! I see the bogner alchemist cab weighs 25.75"W x 26"H x 10.25"D
                            58 lb.

the Celestion G12H are gonna match well with the head. Id prolly do that and deal with it.

with my search I was about to get the mesa 2x12 rectifier cab at one point, it sounds really good when I played it with my jcm900 of all things. it weighs a ton. I bought new. Im glad I got my orange 2x12 cause I returned the first one since there was all this buzz, likely from a loose screw somewhere; glad I did not have to trouble shoot on that one!

Comment

I';m more about convenience these days. I still have my 4x12s but not in a metal band now so they sit in storage. I actually have more heads than that haha. I have an Ampeg SS150H and a Fender M-80 Pro as well.

That Bogner cab wouldn't even fit in my car so that's a no go besides it looks like a beast and now wanting to lug that around. In qmy quest for a 2x12 SMALLER IS BETTER!

Comment

Working...
                              X