banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NPD (x2, EQ and Tremolo, looking for tips on the EQ)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD (x2, EQ and Tremolo, looking for tips on the EQ)

I hit one of the local pawn shops today and came away with some nice new toys. I've been thinking about an EQ pedal for a few months now, mostly for my acoustic rig and for my girlfriend's fiddle rig, and after reading someone here saying great things about them. I was buying a Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo at the pawn shop and saw an MXR 6-band. I'd been wanting to get the 10-band because of the level and gain sliders, but figured if I got it at a good price, why not? I talked them into $100 cash and some of their "pawn bucks" that I had in my wallet for the pair. Considering they were both new (this pawn shop thinks it's a music store and orders lots of cables/tuners/pedals/etc), not a bad deal. My Tremolo needs are simple and few, so the Cool Cat was perfect. It's cheap, but it's true bypass and easy to dial in a good setting with.

My real excitement comes from the 6 band EQ. All I can say is "WOW!" this thing is amazing. A few minutes after plugging it in, I had a great tone dialed in. It really opens up the sound a lot. For now, I think this will stay in my girlfriend's fiddle rig, since she has a lot more tone trouble than I do at the moment. I think, I'm going to make getting 2 more a priority. How does the 6-band compare to the 10-band?

I do have a couple of questions about EQ use, as this is the first one I've owned. Firstly, where in the signal chain should I put the pedal? Right now I've got it between my OD's and my amp, would it be better served in the effects loop? I also notice a bit of a volume jump when I engage it, I assume this is just because of the boosted frequencies. Is there anyway to mitigate the volume jump, or is it generally best to just keep it running all the time? Any other general tips for use?
    Go Packers!
Working...
X