Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

Have a look - there are people reporting issues with this amp. Read EVERYTHING. Latency issues, switching problems. If these things don't bother you, fine, but you may as well be aware before you part with your cash.

Comment

Originally posted by richard parker View Post
      http://www.blackstaramps.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=52

Have a look - there are people reporting issues with this amp. Read EVERYTHING. Latency issues, switching problems. If these things don't bother you, fine, but you may as well be aware before you part with your cash.
      I have read all the posts before you posted the link. ALl people are saying is that there is a 2 second latency between channel switching. Which Blackstar will more than likely sort out in their newest Firmware update like they did with adding an Effects Loop. And that the tuner on the footswitch isnt great, thats it. Hardly a reason to condemn them imo. Especially when most players have a tuner pedal anyway and considering all else it does for the price.
      Last edited by lewisstorer89; 05-21-2013, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Personally a 2 second latency in switching would render the amp useless to me no matter how good it sounded. Totally unacceptable. Firmware ain't gonna fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
          The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of an FX loop. I'd love to run a tube preamp into the back and then use the TVP power amp emulator. There's also times when you want to have a noise gate or EQ in the loop.
          When I was trying out the ID60, it seemed that the OD modes had a built-in noise gate at work. It was pretty noticeable but seemed to have good settings for threshold and release.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
          My Music

Comment

Originally posted by richard parker View Post
            Personally a 2 second latency in switching would render the amp useless to me no matter how good it sounded. Totally unacceptable. Firmware ain't gonna fix it.
            how is it not going to?. Did you or anyone else think it would be possible for a 2 minute firmware update to add an effects loop?. Surely if that can be done, then speeding up channel switching would be easier

Comment

Originally posted by aleclee View Post
              When I was trying out the ID60, it seemed that the OD modes had a built-in noise gate at work. It was pretty noticeable but seemed to have good settings for threshold and release.
              I hope you can turn this off completely though. I have a Boss Ns2 which I will want to use exclusively. I dont want some sort of built in Noise gate working ontop of my Ns2.... tone sucking and losing sustain etc.

Comment

There's a fairly strong gate in the ID series. You can set it to three levels of sensitivity using the Blackstar Insider software via USB.
                http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for and by the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Comment

Originally posted by sixstringsamurai333 View Post
                  There's a fairly strong gate in the ID series. You can set it to three levels of sensitivity using the Blackstar Insider software via USB.
                  So it cant be turned off?.... hmmmm. I hope setting it to its lowest and then including my Ns2 wont hurt the tone or sustain too much :/ thats lame of them

Comment

Originally posted by lewisstorer89 View Post
                    Dude Blackstar released a firmware update for this amp which only takes 2 minutes via usb that actually makes the Headphones input and direct out on the back double as an effects loop. Its the only reason I want one now. No effects loop was lame...hence why they made one via Firmware updates. GREAT bit of customer service by Blackstar there to code juggle
                    That's fine, but what if you wanted to use the effects loop and emulated out at the same time?

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
                      That's fine, but what if you wanted to use the effects loop and emulated out at the same time?
                      Haha I know mate I know. I personally wont need the Emulated out for shows so having the effects loop instead is great for me. I just hope we can turn it on/off via the Footswitch otherwise whats the point. I heard the USB on the front is also an emulated out, so if its only the back Emulated out that becomes an effects loop, maybe connecting via the USB on the front to the desk/pa is still an option?

Comment

how is it not going to?. Did you or anyone else think it would be possible for a 2 minute firmware update to add an effects loop?. Surely if that can be done, then speeding up channel switching would be easier
                        If you're determined to buy this amp then I really hope you're right but can you imagine any company releasing an amp that takes two seconds to change channels in the hope that, if anyone notices it, they might be able to fix it later ? Two seconds is a long time in live music.

Comment

So it cant be turned off?.... hmmmm. I hope setting it to its lowest and then including my Ns2 wont hurt the tone or sustain too much :/ thats lame of them
                          I think it can be turned completely off. Download the manual from the Blackstar website and it should tell you.
                          http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for and by the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Comment

To the OP: I'm not entirely sure why you're asking for opinions about this amp. No disrespect intended but it seems to me like you have more than made up your mind about it, seeing how you don't take into account any negative or mitigated opinion regarding the amp and will basically tell people that tube amps are bad period.

I don't have anything to say about it, haven't tried it nor intend to but I do know that nothing's ever perfect in this world. I would never replace any of my well-maintained (read reliable even live) tube heads for a solid state but if you like it just go ahead and enjoy!

However, if you come here and ask for opinion, you have to understand and accept that not everybody will agree with you (respectfully) or be praising the amp. That's what a discussion is.

Enjoy the amp and report back!

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Surgeon View Post
                              To the OP: I'm not entirely sure why you're asking for opinions about this amp. No disrespect intended but it seems to me like you have more than made up your mind about it, seeing how you don't take into account any negative or mitigated opinion regarding the amp and will basically tell people that tube amps are bad period.

I don't have anything to say about it, haven't tried it nor intend to but I do know that nothing's ever perfect in this world. I would never replace any of my well-maintained (read reliable even live) tube heads for a solid state but if you like it just go ahead and enjoy!

However, if you come here and ask for opinion, you have to understand and accept that not everybody will agree with you (respectfully) or be praising the amp. That's what a discussion is.

Enjoy the amp and report back!

Cheers!
                              I totally understand that, but the guy pretty much made up that Blackstar are un-reliable and made it look like common knowledge (which isnt the case clearly) and then condemned it because of Channel Switching which isnt that big of a deal, especially when via firmware they created an effects loop so clearly will be able to speed up channel switches in the next update. And when did I say tube amps are bad period?. I said that on paper they are obviously going to be less reliable because of maintenance and tube replacement etc..... nothing more

I havent made my mind up at all actually and would love a number of different Valve amps. Namely a Laney Ironheart and its only lack of funds currently that would stop me buying that amp. When I asked for negatives about it I meant like someone played it and compared it to a Blackstar Valve and it sounded tripe etc. Or that toneally/volume wise it doesnt get anywhere near a valve amp and heres why type answers....

But hey ho
                              Last edited by lewisstorer89; 05-22-2013, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Thats just pure luck. For the most part they can just blow like a lightbulb does, aswell as wear down over time and start to sound ****. Saying you have that many amps but have never needed to replace the tubes in any of them means they must all sound like **** tbh
                                And when did I say tube amps are bad period?.
                                That first quote up there reads like a pretty bold statement to me, considering how a properly maintained tube amp will not only sound great but be very reliable too... I've gigged for more than 15 years with tube amps and never had one fail on me. Pure luck? I don't think so. Changing tubes to keep things fresh isn't "bad reliability" to me, just necessary to attain the best possible tone. Your opinion does differ and I respect that.

I must admit that, as far as I am concerned, 2 seconds delay when switching would be a more than unacceptable, especially since the update that would fix it isn't available yet. Again, that's just me, if it's all good with you please go ahead.
                                That's just an opinion, nothing more.

Comment

Working...
                                X