banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

    Originally posted by Surgeon View Post
    That first quote up there reads like a pretty bold statement to me, considering how a properly maintained tube amp will not only sound great but be very reliable too... I've gigged for more than 15 years with tube amps and never had one fail on me. Pure luck? I don't think so. Changing tubes to keep things fresh isn't "bad reliability" to me, just necessary to attain the best possible tone. Your opinion does differ and I respect that.

    I must admit that, as far as I am concerned, 2 seconds delay when switching would be a more than unacceptable, especially since the update that would fix it isn't available yet. Again, that's just me, if it's all good with you please go ahead.
    That's just an opinion, nothing more.
    after researching it seems all the complaints about channel switching of up to 2 seconds were before the first Firmware update. Its been reduced to 1/2 a second with the update and another is being worked on to release soon to get the switching to instant. Also you can clean up the guitar by rollin back the volume and set the footswitch to effects stomp mode so you just click in effects on the same tone when and as you need them, and this doesnt have any latency so easy get around until the newest firmware is out. So no problems there then.

    And the statement is bold because its true. If I bought a tube amp and played it straight for 10 years and had the same tubes in it it would sound rubbish compared to when those tubes were new. Thats a fact and thats all I meant with the statement.

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

      Originally posted by lewisstorer89 View Post
      And the statement is bold because its true. If I bought a tube amp and played it straight for 10 years and had the same tubes in it it would sound rubbish compared to when those tubes were new. Thats a fact and thats all I meant with the statement.
      Changing valves when they start sounding bad is just part of valve amp ownership. It doesn't necessarily make then unreliable. As I said above; I've been playing and gigging with valve amps for 14 years and I've only ever had 1 valve blow on me and that was a faulty 1, the base of the valve just split. I keep them revalved and biased when they need to be and they've been very reliable for me.

      You wouldn't use a guitar for 10 years and not change strings would you? Or drive a car and not change the oil or tyres for many years at a time? Why would you do it with an amp.

      Another thing to bare in mind: if you have a valve amp and it goes wrong, there are many, many techs around that you can take it to and get it repaired relatively quickly and easilly. Good luck achieving this with an amp that's based around PCBs, computer chips and firmware updates!

      Again, I'm not bashing the amp at all. Read my 1st post in this thread, I praised it as being the best sounding SS/Modelling amp I've ever used. But there are also downsides to this stuff and you seem to be being very blinkered towards them whilst bashing anyone that doesn't agree with you.

      Obviously you're entitled to your opinion and I respect that. Don't feel that you have to bash people just because they disagree with you.

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

        Originally posted by Brow View Post
        Changing valves when they start sounding bad is just part of valve amp ownership. It doesn't necessarily make then unreliable.
        All true, but...

        It's one of many factors that makes tube amp tone variable from day to day and place to place. Here's a list of some issues that can have a noticeable effect on how a tube guitar amp sounds at any particular moment:
        • Tube wear: already discussed
        • Line voltage: can significantly change the bias because of the voltage multiplication in the power supply
        • Temperature / humidity: affects the capacitance between traces on a PCB. Not an issue on SS amps because their internal voltages aren't high enough for it to have an effect. It's much more noticeable as gain increases.
        • Playing duration: amp tone changes during a session, mainly due to component values shifting as they get warmer.


        For me it becomes a question of whether the added maintenance and less consistent timbre are worth whatever advantages one finds in tube amp tone. With my "A" modeling rig, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. With my "B" rig (which will likely incorporate an ID60), my considerations are different but the tech has reached the point where the answer is the same. It sounds good enough that i'll take zero maintenance and consistent tone in a lighter weight package.

        My $0.02, FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, etc.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
        My Music

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

          Originally posted by aleclee View Post
          All true, but...

          It's one of many factors that makes tube amp tone variable from day to day and place to place. Here's a list of some issues that can have a noticeable effect on how a tube guitar amp sounds at any particular moment:
          • Tube wear: already discussed
          • Line voltage: can significantly change the bias because of the voltage multiplication in the power supply
          • Temperature / humidity: affects the capacitance between traces on a PCB. Not an issue on SS amps because their internal voltages aren't high enough for it to have an effect. It's much more noticeable as gain increases.
          • Playing duration: amp tone changes during a session, mainly due to component values shifting as they get warmer.


          For me it becomes a question of whether the added maintenance and less consistent timbre are worth whatever advantages one finds in tube amp tone. With my "A" modeling rig, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. With my "B" rig (which will likely incorporate an ID60), my considerations are different but the tech has reached the point where the answer is the same. It sounds good enough that i'll take zero maintenance and consistent tone in a lighter weight package.

          My $0.02, FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, etc.

          Where exactly are you getting this information?

          Line voltage will affect things regardless of whether its solidstate or not. In fact if the line voltage is way out of spec which it can be a SS amp is a lot more likely to break.

          Also you make these claims about SS amps not needing maintenance? You said there are firmware updates. What do you think they are? They're maintenance generally fixing issues and addressing problems that should have been sorted during the initial build before release.

          I am yet to try one of these amps but i trust Brows opinion on them as i know that he has a good ear.

          At the end of the day use what you want. Nobody here is trying to change that.
          Last edited by Toe-Knee; 05-24-2013, 02:07 PM.
          Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
          WWW.BACKLINE.TK

          Non Biased General Guitar forum
          http://fret.boards.net

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

            Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
            I tried an ID100 head for an hour at Sam Ash, and have to say it's about the best solid state amp I've ever played through. I wouldn't mind having one....either the ID60 or ID100 head.

            One thing with amps in general is that the speaker cab creates almost half the sound, so solid state and modeling amps sound a lot closer to good tube amps when the cabs are high end. I'd be inclined to use these heads with Blackstar's V30 cabs made for their tube amps.
            GJ giving an endorsement isn't something to take lightly. The solid state amp thread of yesterday (?) got my gears a turning for this. GJ knows tone.

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

              Originally posted by aleclee View Post
              All true, but...

              It's one of many factors that makes tube amp tone variable from day to day and place to place. Here's a list of some issues that can have a noticeable effect on how a tube guitar amp sounds at any particular moment:
              • Tube wear: already discussed
              • Line voltage: can significantly change the bias because of the voltage multiplication in the power supply
              • Temperature / humidity: affects the capacitance between traces on a PCB. Not an issue on SS amps because their internal voltages aren't high enough for it to have an effect. It's much more noticeable as gain increases.
              • Playing duration: amp tone changes during a session, mainly due to component values shifting as they get warmer.


              For me it becomes a question of whether the added maintenance and less consistent timbre are worth whatever advantages one finds in tube amp tone. With my "A" modeling rig, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. With my "B" rig (which will likely incorporate an ID60), my considerations are different but the tech has reached the point where the answer is the same. It sounds good enough that i'll take zero maintenance and consistent tone in a lighter weight package.

              My $0.02, FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, etc.
              10000000000 % THIS /\/\/\ thats exactly what I think personally. WELL Said

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

                Originally posted by Toe-Knee View Post
                Where exactly are you getting this information?
                A variety of sources. Let me know what you disbelieve/don't understand and I'll be happy to offer citations.


                Originally posted by Toe-Knee View Post
                Line voltage will affect things regardless of whether its solidstate or not. In fact if the line voltage is way out of spec which it can be a SS amp is a lot more likely to break.
                Not necessarily. Most SS amps have switching power supplies that are not at all sensitive to line voltage. A lot of 'em can take anything from 100V to 220V with no change in timbre, let alone reliability. Compared to tube amps, SS amps are more sensitive to surges but not variations in line voltage.

                Originally posted by Toe-Knee View Post
                Also you make these claims about SS amps not needing maintenance? You said there are firmware updates. What do you think they are? They're maintenance generally fixing issues and addressing problems that should have been sorted during the initial build before release.
                Actually, I didn't make any claims about firmware, though I've done a number of update over the years. Strictly speaking, that's not maintenance. Sharing a same root as "maintain", maintenance is needed to maintain current functionality, not to change or fix bugs.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                My Music

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

                  Originally posted by aleclee View Post
                  A variety of sources. Let me know what you disbelieve/don't understand and I'll be happy to offer citations.


                  Not necessarily. Most SS amps have switching power supplies that are not at all sensitive to line voltage. A lot of 'em can take anything from 100V to 220V with no change in timbre, let alone reliability. Compared to tube amps, SS amps are more sensitive to surges but not variations in line voltage.

                  Actually, I didn't make any claims about firmware, though I've done a number of update over the years. Strictly speaking, that's not maintenance. Sharing a same root as "maintain", maintenance is needed to maintain current functionality, not to change or fix bugs.

                  I wasn't doubting the claims you just seem to be making out that these drastically affect the sound when really they're pretty minor.

                  Especially line voltage. My mains varies day by day from 230v to 260v and i've not had a single issue or noticed any major tonal differences.

                  In regards to SMPS that's something i've not come across in many SS amps that i've repaired. But saying that I haven't repaired too many as not many people seem to get them fixed if they break they just treat them as disposable and replace them. But your point is a good one.

                  With regards to the firmware updates. That's my bad i posted when about to leave for practice and mistook you for the OP. But sometimes firmware updates can be to "maintain" current or past functionality after the supplier previous buggered something up which happens quite often and is what a fair few bug fixes seem to be.

                  But again just to make things clear I have nothing against these amps. One thing I do have something against though is how they're marketing them as "true valve tone" but Blackstar have never been one to not mislead with their advertising.
                  Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
                  WWW.BACKLINE.TK

                  Non Biased General Guitar forum
                  http://fret.boards.net

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

                    Originally posted by lewisstorer89 View Post
                    Thats just pure luck. For the most part they can just blow like a lightbulb does, aswell as wear down over time and start to sound ****. Saying you have that many amps but have never needed to replace the tubes in any of them means they must all sound like **** tbh
                    Are we talking preamp or power amp tubes here?

                    It's not like I haven't changed tubes at all. I've done a fair bit of tube switching to get the right sounds. I've just never had a tube go out on me before.
                    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

                    Lead guitarist and vocalist of...



                    Keep up to date on our Facebook

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

                      Ive got the Blackstar HT40 tube combo which is a fantastic amp with great overdrive sounds and amazing warm creamy cleans, and I am at the moment in the process of testing the Blackstar ID260TVP.
                      Firstly Blackstar have an amazing reputation for quality and its common knowledge that they are more reliable than Marshall. ( incase some of you dont know Blackstar was started by top Marshall employees who wanted to "take things further" and produce great sounding modern reliable amps).

                      I don't have the footswitch here so I cant comment on the small time lapse as mentioned above, but Blackstar are very good at fixing problems in their firmware upgrades.

                      The 260TVP (Total Valve Power) is LOUD and very versatile and gives you a lot of tube variations together with a load of voicing choices plus their patented ISF feature.
                      The tuner on this one works fine and the patch storage is simple.
                      The 260TVP offers stereo sound and the stereo effects sound brilliant ( very 3D ) Whether it would suit everyone is debatable.

                      I am a pro musician of approx 30 years with years of touring etc under my belt etc, and I am looking at this 260TVP as a digital back up for my HT40 tube amp ( as much as I LOVE tubes they can be unreliable if you are unlucky ).

                      Does the 260TVP sound as good as the HT40 ? not even close ( IMO ) The HT40 is so much warmer and with more body and soul.
                      Is the 260TVP a bad sounding combo? Absolutely not! Its an amazing amp with many options and variations, Its a "Swiss Army Amp" and a great option if you want to get as close as possible without actually havng tubes.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

                        Originally posted by Michelleuk View Post
                        Does the 260TVP sound as good as the HT40 ? not even close ( IMO ) The HT40 is so much warmer and with more body and soul.
                        Is the 260TVP a bad sounding combo? Absolutely not! Its an amazing amp with many options and variations, Its a "Swiss Army Amp" and a great option if you want to get as close as possible without actually havng tubes.
                        I am rather interested in purchasing this amp, and I really do like how you describe it as the Swiss Army Knife of amps. I do have a question, which i've yet to see anyone talk about it, and that being the main reason as to why I have yet purchase it. When one engages the TVP, does this amp continue to feel tight and focused like a usual SS amp, or does it introduce that looseness that tube amps tend to have?

                        I ask this because I am looking for a modern SS amp that can do a very wide variety of extreme metal well, that including brutal death metal in the style of early Suffocation.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

                          there is no 2 second latency issue.. i've owned 2 id:60's and an Id:100 and they switch almost instantly (very slight delay) from the console and the latency only occurs when using the foot switch (fs-10).. and that time is about a second.. but it does exist

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

                            Originally posted by Brow View Post
                            I'm assuming Beers changes the valves when they sound bad, just that he's never had 1 blow or break.
                            Correct. I did have my very first EL34 blow on me since my last comment but 1 within 10 years is pretty good. It didn't exactly blow, but it was close. It was flashing blue light and making popping sounds.
                            The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

                            Lead guitarist and vocalist of...



                            Keep up to date on our Facebook

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X