banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peavey Valveking...did they always do this stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Valveking...did they always do this stuff?

GC had a Peavey setup for some reason, and I plugged into a Valveking 50 combo, which I didn't mind at all.
    Thing is, I thought they were a pretty straight-ahead medium gain tube amp. This one had power scaling down to 1 watt, variable class a to ab knob, and what I'm assuming is a variable "looseness", which sounded like it was unhinging the bass and mids a bit.

I really liked it! Nice meaty cleans. The gain channel broke up in more of my liking and less smooth and uh...good...but, I imagine the amp is also mod fodder.

SO, has the Valveking been like this since it's inception?
    Originally posted by Funkfingers
    Music is for life. Without parole.

Re: Peavey Valveking...did they always do this stuff?

I looked at the new model yesterday and had the same thoughts
    I don't think they did
    Or at least I think the newer design has several upgrades
    I too, liked the tight/loose knob
    The power scaling
    And such

I found the classic 30 to be more to my tastes tho
    Last edited by ehdwuld; 02-17-2014, 12:30 PM. Reason: friggin phone
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

IIRC those are all new features. The second guitarist in my classic rock cover band is actually in need of a new amp and this is right in his price point. What did you think of how it might sound for those kind of tones?
      Custom neck-thru strat
      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
      1995 PRS CE24
      D'avanzo #8
      Breedlove Solo Concert
      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

I've been interested in the new 50 watt combo and like that it's almost $400 cheaper than the Marshall DSL40C, and has all the features (tube indicators, and power scaling especially). Really want to put both of these to the test.

Comment

I'd say take a serious look at it. I mean, it's a Valveking, so I imagine it's going to sound like a Valveking; kind of that hi gain British, with some fizz on top. The tightness control really does loosen it all up into an almost stoner-esque or Leslie West flubby vibe with much thicker low-mid presence, though I didn't hear too much altering of the highs. The AB is your standard half-ass Marshall and the A sounds a little more Voxy.

Oh, forgot to mention, there's a pair of 6l6s in it, and a tube minder function. A couple LEDs on front, and I'm assuming they'll dim or turn red or something when it's time to change out out. Like the Infinium thing Bugera does.

It can also be clicked down to 1 watt and can record to USB.

Dang, I'm really talking myself into it too. :X I thought the combo of the dark humbuckers on the Epi SG400 I was playing were a really tasty match for me with this amp. I'm not sure it'll pull edgy tight metalcore tone. I suspect a pedal would help though.

Comment

I didn't know they had power scaling. That must be new.

The last one I tried was absolute horse ****. Boring clean; fizzy, indistinct high gain. Build quality of a dollar store spatula. Sorry excuse for an amp, in general. That was around 2007 I think.
            Band: www.colouredanimal.com
            Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
            Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post

The last one I tried was absolute horse ****. Boring clean; fizzy, indistinct high gain. Build quality of a dollar store spatula. Sorry excuse for an amp, in general. That was around 2007 I think.
              Actually, dunno if its scaling or attenuation, my bad.
              It still might suck on the gain channel but I'm a fan of lousy distortion, silicon Fuzzes and the HM2. It was the clean channel that I thought some decent cream to it, especially when fiddling with the class and tight knobs.

I'm also essentially ampless. Mac and cheese looks like a 7 course tour of Tuscany when you're starving to death.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Comment

The ValveKing series has been completely re-designed. They were announced at NAMM 2013 but it took Peavey almost a year to get them into stores. There has been almost zero promotion of them and Peavey has only just posted demo videos this week...

In my opinion (though as a Peavey product lover I'm a bit biased) there is no other amp in the same price range that can deliver the quality of tone, variety of features, and recording flexibility of the new ValveKing.

If you have the opportunity to play one it's worth your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwimmerlaik View Post
                  The ValveKing series has been completely re-designed. They were announced at NAMM 2013 but it took Peavey almost a year to get them into stores. There has been almost zero promotion of them and Peavey has only just posted demo videos this week...

In my opinion (though as a Peavey product lover I'm a bit biased) there is no other amp in the same price range that can deliver the quality of tone, variety of features, and recording flexibility of the new ValveKing.

If you have the opportunity to play one it's worth your time.
                  Now they just need to make a 6505 with those features.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                  @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by DeathALT. View Post
                    I've been interested in the new 50 watt combo and like that it's almost $400 cheaper than the Marshall DSL40C, and has all the features (tube indicators, and power scaling especially). Really want to put both of these to the test.

I'm not sure where you are getting this.

The VK 50 is 599 (US) and the DSL40C is 699: difference = 100 dollars.

I checked one out the other day. The VK 50 is wide open in the back with a very small panel going across at the bottom. I would want to install some rear panel wood mounting strips and make a panel that closes in most of the back, except for a couple inch high ventilation opening all the way across, under the chassis; a two - four inch opening.

From the back it looks flimsy and weak. Any rough handling in transit, etc., could possibly break the joints if you don't beef it up. It is a fairly large cabinet with minimal support and an almost totally open back. The speaker looks beefy.

By the way, the VK 20 uses the exact same cabinet. They are big cabinets, which is a good thing in my opinion.

The main problem I see is that for another 100 dollars you can get the Marshall DSL40C with the Celestion Seventy/80 speaker - a half way decent speaker to begin with. The Marshall also has a switch to bring it down from 40 to 20 watts and sounds good at bedroom volumes, and has "EL34" power tubes. The Marshall has a great sounding classic gain channel with gain and volume controls, and a Ultra Gain channel with gain and volume controls. On the Clean channel it has a very cool "crunch" button that overdrives nicely; the Ultra Gain channel has both Lead 1 (green LED) and Lead 2 (red LED) voices, activated by the Lead 1/2 button. It has separate presence and resonance control knobs, and separate reverb control knobs for the Classic Gain and Ultra Gain channels. The cabinet on the Marshall DSL40C is also much thicker and more heavy duty and the back of the amp is mostly closed with a nice ventilation grill. It is a very cool amp and impresses me as a much nicer combo amp compared to the VK 50, from my personal experience. I have a DSL40C and use it all the time to great affect. So for me the Marshall would be worth the extra 100 dollars and the possible wait to save up for it.

I hope this contrasting viewpoint is of value to someone investigating the VK 50.
                    "Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post

+1. I drove about 40 minutes to check out a used one. I absolutely couldn't get a decent tone out of it. Sounded terrible. I remember thinking this couldn't be as bad as it was. It sure was! Really no good tone,just mud.

Nothing like these descriptions. Nothing close.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathALT. View Post
                        This video might give you a taste of the Valveking 50 combo:

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	5806167
                          Originally posted by dominus View Post
                          Now they just need to make a 6505 with those features.
                          I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Like most Peavey products the Valveking series is actually pretty great for the price & it's been much improved since the first version hit the shelves! I have a bunch of truly iconic amplifiers (Marshall, VOX, Fender, Mesa, Dr. Z, Etc.) but I play through Peavey stuff nearly exclusively these days!!!

While I absolutely love my other amps, in a live setting or for a party, or even just in a practice situation, give me a Classic 30 with a speaker upgrade & my pedal board any day!!! I mean they make a good, versatile, & rugged product at a price point that just can't be beat IMHO which makes them perfect for lugging around!!! Plus if they get broken or stolen your not out thousands of dollars!!! LOL, anything past new tubes you can just buy another one!!!

My other amps are just in the back being stored so they still get used plenty at home & I still record with them pretty often although my 6505 mh & Classic 20 mh have some great recording features so I do record with those a lot too!!! Anyhow, if I've got to leave something out in my living room where my 1 year old can get at it or something to bring to a party where a bunch of drunk a$$holes could possibly spill their beers inside them, it's probably going to be a Peavey!!!

I live in a pretty rural area so 99% of the time I can replace Peavey's products for less than it would cost me to send it to the tech & have them repaired....
                            I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

I have a Valveking combo. I think it's the first gen? Had it for a while. It's when they had the 1X12 and 2x12's I think. I have the 1x12. I almost never play through it these days but it's decent after a speaker swap. Didn't like the stock speaker. A WGS Retro 30 was a big improvement. But it does hum. I've been inside it to install external bias test points and bias adjustment pot. But I never did try and quiet the hum.

Comment

Working...
                              X