Fender Super Champ x2 is it Tube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Super Champ x2 is it Tube?

do you guys consider this a tube amp that produces a tube tone or is it more of a hybrid?

does anyone know if this truly sounds like a normal tube amp?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2015-02-02 at 4.52.48 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	5836341

Re: Fender Super Champ x2 is it Tube?

It's a hybrid, just opposite of most hybrids, which stick a 12ax7 in front of a solid state power section.

Honestly, I don't much care what it is. The one time I played I've, I thought it sounded pretty damn good.
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

i also thought it was a hybrid until i saw it had 2 6v6 power tubes and 1 12ax7 pre amp tube. i thought since it had power tubes and a pre amp tube it made it a tube amp.

Comment

The 12AX7 is a Phase Inverter tube for driving the 6V6s. But i have to tell you., I own the Fender Super Champ X2 head and the clean channel is an excellent sounding blackface clean which takes pedals very well. And all the tweaks you can perform with the free FUSE software makes this amp outstanding. For me, this is one is a keeper. This amp sounds like many different amps if you use the channel 2 voices. And the onboard effects are a major plus.
        Last edited by Jeffblue; 02-02-2015, 06:18 PM.

Comment

My understanding is that it doesn't have preamp tube gain stages, but uses the 12AX7 to warm up the sound of the digital preamp before it's fed into the tube power section.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

No....whenever you have a Class A/B amp (push/pull if you will) you need a Phase Inverter before the power output.

Comment

The front end is digi, but I remember reading somewhere that it uses the 12ax7 to add OD to the distorted tones. One thing's for sure though, when you run the volume up past 6, those 6V6 tubes will start to distort, adding to to the goodness. I have the XD combo and it just sings.
              Last edited by guitfiddle; 02-02-2015, 11:06 PM.
              - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
              Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
              The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

If it sounds good to your ear, why would it matter? Unless it's a purely academic question.

Comment

Decent little amp , don't much care for the Fender software. Great bedroom practice amp with options.
                  Originally posted by Oinkus
                  I had Big Flannel over here the other night , cleaned up his Tele and did some setup on it , took out the camera and set it down on the desk. I am easily distrac

Comment

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post
                    If it sounds good to your ear, why would it matter? Unless it's a purely academic question.
                    i agree but i can't find one to try out

Comment

I have the Fender SuperChamp XD and love that thing. I've had it for four plus years now. It's my practice amp and have started taking it out for small room gigs. I put in an Eminence Rajun' Cajun' and holy spitfire, Batman that sends it to a whole new universe.

Comment

Resurrecting this thread...

Has anyone swapped tubes on the SC X2 and are there any they prefer?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffblue View Post
                          No....whenever you have a Class A/B amp (push/pull if you will) you need a Phase Inverter before the power output.
                          Yes you do, but it's easy to do with SS too, lots of amps do. For example, the H&K Tubemeisters have SS PI stages, they use the 12AX7s for the preamp, pretty sure the Peavey 6505 minis have SS PI stages as well, lots more of the new lunchbox amps do too I'm sure.

I'm not exactly sure what the Champ X2 uses the preamp tube for, but my guess would be exactly what guitfiddle said, to warm up signal from the digital preamp before it gets to the power section. In the end, if it sounds good, that's all that matters.

*EDIT* Just realized this is a 2 year old thread...

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                            *EDIT* Just realized this is a 2 year old thread...
                            4, but who's counting.

It's still good info.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                              4, but who's counting.

It's still good info.
                              You mean it's not 2017?

Comment

Working...
                              X