Finally "finished" my new rig...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally "finished" my new rig...

I say "finished" because a guitarists rig is never really done, is it? I know myself too well to say it's done. Last time I said it was done two days later I added the Soldano SP77 to it haha.

I got sick of my mismatched cabs and wanted a matching rig that was all rack based, midi controlled and stereo. So the first step was having some custom cabs made and a matching headshell for my EVH 50w. Thankfully Anthony at Stage Craft cabs was up to the job and every time I asked about something custom I wanted for the cabs the answer was "yes". From the size and spacing of the stripes, the tolex, the grill cloth (same as the EVH cabs), the style of metal corners, the type of casters and rubber feet, everything I nit picked over was done as requested. He hit it out of the park and even went beyond my requests and striped the cabs fully down the back panels, I can't thank Anthony enough for the great job. The pics may not show it but it's not a half ass job of tolex but up against tolex for the stripes these were done right with routing for black string pipe that was used between the black and white tolex sections. Since the cabs were brand name free with no badges I was free to name them whatever I wanted so I decided to stick with the racing stripe car theme and had some '71 Dodge Demon fender emblems drop shipped to Anthony to install on the cabs to finish out the look. I loaded the cabs with all the speakers I had from my mismatched set of cabs I was using before so they have two EVH greenbacks on top and one V30 and one H30 on the bottom. I had planned on switching the H30s out at some point for two more V30s but it sounds so good as is I think I'll just leave it as is.

The signal path for the rack has confused the heck out a few people I've showed it to (pic of the signal routing below) but it basically boils down to the preamp in the EVH 50w and the Soldano SP77 sharing the EVHs power amp and the Fryette Power Station to run one at a time in stereo. I have to also give a big thank you to Ken at Soundsculpture for answering a bunch of questions for me since his ABCadabara pedal is what makes sharing the G-Major 2 with both preamps possible. The EVH and Power Station both being 50w 6L6 ended up being a perfect pair for this application and the Power Station is also great for when I sub in my JMP or Vibrolux so I can attenuate them and give them and FX loop.

I have the SP77 set for very clean with no breakup even from a bridge humbucker and for a lower gain (*low gain for me) from the second channel which can be boosted with the Green Rhino for another level of gain. The EVH is setup up to break up when hit hard on the clean channel or be clean when you go to a neck pickup or roll back volume. Hitting the clean channel with the Rhino also adds another great low gain tonal option. The blue channel is set for more gain than the SP77 and even more with the Rhino pushing it and then finally the red channel which has absurd gain to begin with and certainly doesn't need a push from the Rhino. So, loads of tones.

I built/modded three different pedals to control the DCR-2SR rack wah. The gold one uses the stock Hot Potz II pot. The EB volume pedal took a bunch of cutting and drilling and wiring to work but it ended up my favorite with a huge sweep, it uses a Bourns pot. Finally the chartreuse one uses and EVH pot. They all sounds drastically different despite having the rack wah set the same for each one. I've msotly settled on using the EB with it but the EVH pot pedal is also quite good too.

Here's the routing diagram for those who are curious...

The last piece of the puzzle I think will be a dedicated OD pedal for the SP77, the Rhino is dialed in for the EVH and while it works good for the SP77 set like that it would be better with its own dedicated pedal. So I'm thinking I'll ditch the PH-2 for a second Rhino (unless I can find something I like better, haven't so far) dialed in for the SP77 and may rack-rehouse them in a 1U enclosure to finish off the last slot on the top of the rack.
    www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Re: Finally "finished" my new rig...

Holy cr@p! That looks incredible!

Comment

That is absolutely mind-blowing. A dream rig for sure.
      That's world class stuff there.

Congratulations!
      Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
      Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
      Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
      Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Badass!!

Comment

Holy crap

Comment

You just dont do anything half-@$$ed, do ya Mike??

You need a couple of your killer clones in the pic. That chartreuse sparkle sss strat you did with the floyd....man I still think about that one.
            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm real happy with how it turned out.

Jeff, if you're gonna do it, might as well do it right! All my Clones are gone and with new owners, I haven't owned one in years. All I have left is 1 Charvel, 1 Charvel mutt, 1 Les Paul, 3 of my D'Avanzo brand guitars (well 2 an one in the works) and my first guitar a Guild S60-D.
              www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Looks great Mike!
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

That looks beautiful and expensive and classy and like I wouldn't even know where to plug in or turn it on

Comment

When I saw your EVH head shell for sale, I suspected something was brewing. LOL

And then you hit this home run!

Even the goddam carpet and wall looks badass!
                    Do you have any pics of the rig with the guitars hanging above?

And like you, I'm realizing the Green Rhino is one of the best OD pedals ever made.
                    People knew it in the early 90's, and that why Dunlop hired Jeorge Tripps and reissued it. That thing lights up my room full of vintage amps like nothing else.
                    If I had to sell every OD pedal I have but two, the gold Klon and Green Rhino would stay.
                    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 07-29-2015, 02:01 AM.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by blakejcan View Post
                      That looks beautiful and expensive and classy and like I wouldn't even know where to plug in or turn it on
                      Thanks. It either works off wireless (hidden below the pedal drawer in the back of the rack) or you plug into the tuner with a cable to bypass the wireless. It has a bit of a turn on procedure. Everything is left powered on (amps on standby) so you just flip the Furman switch and most everything powers up. The tuner doesn't power up automatically so you have to hit the button for it, same for the Rhino, Digitech Drop and two Doss pedals. Then flip the EVH and Fryette off standby and you're good to go. I can mod the Boss pedals to power on automatically but I'm not sure about the tuner, Rhino or Drop, haven't looked into that yet but it would be nice to not need to turn them on one by one and have them power up with the Furman like the rest of the rack units and pedals do.

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                      When I saw your EVH head shell for sale, I suspected something was brewing. LOL

And then you hit this home run!

Even the goddam carpet and wall looks badass!
                      Do you have any pics of the rig with the guitars hanging above?

And like you, I'm realizing the Green Rhino is one of the best OD pedals ever made.
                      People knew it in the early 90's, and that why Dunlop hired Jeorge Tripps and reissued it. That thing lights up my room full of vintage amps like nothing else.
                      If I had to sell every OD pedal I have but two, the gold Klon and Green Rhino would stay.
                      Haha, thanks, been working on this piece by piece for a while. I'll try and take a pic that shows the guitars hanging above it later. I haven't found anything to beat the Rhino yet, that 100Hz knob alone makes it the best of the screamers in my book. It booted pedals I built myself and thought I perfectly tuned to my amps. Having full control of mids and bass make it so easy to dial in for any of my amps plus it has a massive amount of output if needed. I'm looking into a way to add midi control and presets to it now (just emailed two companies) otherwise I'd need like 5 of them all set a bit different to really do everything I want. I was considering trying the SD 805 or MXR Il Torino or a few other drives but every time I try something else I think it's good 'til I turn the Rhino back on, so I'll either find a way to make it have midi presets or just get a second one and make due with that.
                      www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Sound clips at some point??????

Comment

What no cup holder! Just kidding man that is a sweet, sweet rig. Not just aesthetically but also functionally. I see a lot of nice rigs and saw to myself "that is nice but not for me'. I your case i could rock the stuffing out of that system. I would love to plug my LP into that setup, crank it, hit the flange and set stuff swirling.

Comment

Sound clips would be very tricky since it runs in stereo and each 4x12 has 3 different speakers in it. So to accurately capture it I'd need 6 mics and a clue as to how to record and mix LOL. It's too damn loud for my phone it would clip the mic easily and not do it any justice anyway. When I get done playing my ears ring, like now lol, but man it's worth it.

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                            What no cup holder! Just kidding man that is a sweet, sweet rig. Not just aesthetically but also functionally. I see a lot of nice rigs and saw to myself "that is nice but not for me'. I your case i could rock the stuffing out of that system. I would love to plug my LP into that setup, crank it, hit the flange and set stuff swirling.

Cup holder? I don't even allow drinks in my car and that has cup holders lol. No food or beverage near the gear haha. I got a bit obsessed with the tones Dave at LA Sound Design is always getting in the videos he posts of racks and pedalboards he does for people so I knew I had to go stereo to even get in that ballpark. Thankfully now I can get my usual tones but also those crazy wide, deep and wet sounding chorus'd up clean and dirty 80's studio rack tones too which are so fun to mess with. It's why I bought the Soldano SP77 really since it's the low buck version of the X99, X88R which I would have loved but they're more than I wanted to spend. Like this type of stuff... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxMCyFGH7XY
                            www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

That has got to be one of the best rigs on the forum.

Comment

Working...
                              X