DSL 40c vs Irt 60c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSL 40c vs Irt 60c

Hey, I have a Peavey Bandit 112 and I'm pretending to buy my first tube amp.

I'm between the Marshall DSL 40c and the Laney Ironheart 60c, but if I choose the dsl I'm probably going to change the speaker to some creamback, because from what I've heard on youtube, it has a really thin sound. Since I play things like thrash/heavy/death metal, it would be handy if the amp had a nice amount of gain, tight bottom end, stuff like that. The amp needs to be good at low bedroom volumes as well as giggin' volumes.

What would be better? Thanks in advance.

Re: DSL 40c vs Irt 60c

pretending?
    1988 Fender MIJ ST54 Hardtail Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
    2005 Edwards E-JR-100LTD/DC w/Gibson P90
    2012 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Mahogany Satin
    2015 Fender Road Worn '50s Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
    2018 Gibson Limited Edition Les Paul Junior
    -------
    1979 Marshall JMP 2204
    1997 Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
    2021 Epic Amplification AR50
    2022 Mojotone British 800 2204​

Comment

Originally posted by cliffenstein View Post
      pretending?
      Patent pending.
      Wackor
      Ørdøg
      NecroPolo
      Diabolus in Musica
      SIDrip Alliance
      Book of Shadows
      RKH

Comment

Originally posted by Cthulhu784 View Post
        Since I play things like thrash/heavy/death metal (...)
        I guess, you'd be much happier with separate head + cab, then. None of the sounds you want to hear are really coming from a combo you want to buy. If you still intend to do so, most probably the closed-back Laney IRT60 2x12 will bring you closer to the target sound.
        Wackor
        Ørdøg
        NecroPolo
        Diabolus in Musica
        SIDrip Alliance
        Book of Shadows
        RKH

Comment

Slayers other guitarist uses the dsl then boosted it with a ts808
          tone slut
          Marshall DSL 40C
          Fender EVH Striped Series
          Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
          Fender Squier Tele Affinity
          Mogami cables

Comment

A friend of mine has an Ironheart 60 head with the matching 2x12 and I had to sit in front of that thing for quite a while unless I got a sound I liked.
            I don't think there's even a hint of "vintage" sounds in that thing. Forget about ZZ Top, Van Halen, Boston or Deep Purple with it.
            It's either clinical cleans or ****ing Metal straight off, which IMO it does well but not spectacularly either.
            I also wasn't too impressed with it's tonal variety. Despite having lots of push-pulls in the EQ section and added controls, I found myself most of the time not liking what I got out of it.

I'd much rather rock a Laney GH50L in that price bracket (I think they're kinda close if you search well), which is much simpler.

EDIT: And all of what I said is of course subjective and debatable, but there's one thing I forgot which is not: It sounds like crap at low volumes. And that's a fact.
            Though maybe with a better cab it wouldn't, who knows?
            Last edited by Diego; 07-16-2016, 08:50 AM.
            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

So, can you guys recommend me a tube combo amp that match that things I want? For now, I would still go with the Irt60. Since I play with a ss amp, I think I can get really better tones (than the ss) with that laney, and there's the variable wattage, a really handy thing to me.

Comment

Originally posted by cliffenstein View Post
                pretending?
                Sorry, my first language is portuguese. What I wanted to say was "intending to", or something like that.

Comment

Diego very precisely described the Laney IRT amp, it is like that. Suitable for metal but not very versatile.

Still I think your best call is a separate 1x12" or 2x12" closed back cab (Laney IRT cabs kick ass I think, after speaker change) and a tube head. If a smaller power is enough for you, an ample of new options come around: Engl Gigmasters, Peavey 6505 Mini, EVH LBX, Randall Diavlo, Orange Tiny Terror and so on. Some of these small amps are pretty badass. Check the support of these companies in your country, check youtube videos and so on.

Originally posted by ken361 View Post
                  Slayers other guitarist uses the dsl then boosted it with a ts808
                  The 100w head, yes, but not the 40w combo. The combo doesn't have THAT sound. It is still nice for what it is.

Sorry, my first language is portuguese. What I wanted to say was "intending to", or something like that.
                  No problem, it was just funny, the good way. Don't worry for a second. English is my 3rd language, too. No one bothered about it and I've been here since 2002 or so.
                  Last edited by NecroPolo; 07-16-2016, 12:59 PM.
                  Wackor
                  Ørdøg
                  NecroPolo
                  Diabolus in Musica
                  SIDrip Alliance
                  Book of Shadows
                  RKH

Comment

So, can you guys recommend me a tube combo amp that match that things I want? For now, I would still go with the Irt60. Since I play with a ss amp, I think I can get really better tones (than the ss) with that laney, and there's the variable wattage, a really handy thing to me.
                    Too bad. You just missed a Jet City combo as Musician's Friend's Stupid Deal of the Day.

Comment

I would definitely recommend the 40c.

the old 401 marshall is a little nicer sounding due to it's full and balanced green channel, but the new ones does a good job too. I imagine a speaker swap would work wonders.

Comment

Working...
                      X