banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recording direct from a 4x12 cab question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recording direct from a 4x12 cab question...

Not the same thing.

Amp straight out to recorder (without a cab sim) will sound like ass..

Amp -> Cab (which, as an actual cab .. takes the place of a 'cab sim') -> recorder should sound way better..
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
      Not the same thing.

Amp straight out to recorder (without a cab sim) will sound like ass..

Amp -> Cab (which, as an actual cab .. takes the place of a 'cab sim') -> recorder should sound way better..
      You are over thinking it. Amp > recorder = not good. Amp > recorder > IRs = will sound fine.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

If that had been a serial output from the cab ..it might have been interesting to try. But yeah, just idle curiosity on my part. The Amp-> AMT Cab sim -> recorder thing works just fine

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

The sound of your cab is the sound of speakers moving real air. You can't DI this. The direct signal does not know if you happen to be using a quartet of pre-rola greenbacks, for example.

If you went to the trouble of taking a direct signal out with some sort of load-box/cab emulation then you will only sound as good your emulation.

Comment

^yeah mostly that. Even if it were series out it would add up the impedance but not provide a speaker simulation. Hardware cab sims are okay & gigable but man you've got to try some free impulse responses available online for cabs when ya get some time, its a different experience for sure.

Comment

I'm totally a "hardware" guy when it comes to recording. Never been able to get the hang of doing things with my computer. I mix my stuff with Audacity ..but that's it. The AMT CN-1 produces very convincing cab-like tones so that's as far as I'll take it lol. I just thought DI'ing the cab might be a nice alternative.. but it's obviously not a great idea

Youtube

Comment

Once again...Cab-Clone will do what you want. Call Mesa.

Bill
                When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Well, I'm sure it will, but my CN-1 does what I want too and for a third of the price

(Check out the video comments )

I was'nt looking for cab sim reccomendations (^^ mine work's great)...just wondering if I could actually record MY actual cab without mic'ing (apparently not) ..& there it ends

Youtube

Comment

Head > DI box > recorder. Also running in parallel is Head > Cab (serving as a monitor).

Normally DI box is for recording direct without a cab, hence the name.

Comment

On second thought, I think you can record direct from the head to the recorder without a DI box cause the output level is already in line level. You only need a DI box if an amp is not present.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                        Well, I'm sure it will, but my CN-1 does what I want too and for a third of the price

(Check out the video comments )

I was'nt looking for cab sim reccomendations (^^ mine work's great)...just wondering if I could actually record MY actual cab without mic'ing (apparently not) ..& there it ends

Er I think you answered yourself in your first post
                        but say if I used a DI box like my Behringer Ultra G (GI 100) which is meant to go between a head and cab ..and then ran a (line level) line out from that into my recorder...would that work?
                        Here's a link to the manual. - https://www.rapidonline.com/pdf/35-4214.pdf -
                        Check out page 12

This:The GI100 works like a standard DI box. You can use it to tap into your amplifier's speaker outputs, even high-powered rigs with ratings of up to 3,000 Watts. Or, just plug your guitar directly into the GI100, switch on the unbelievably realistic 4x12 cabinet simulation designed by renowned engineer Juergen Rath, and you've got rock royalty-sized tone in a package the size of a cheeseburger! You may never mic your speakers again!
                        Last edited by GoldenVulture; 07-28-2016, 02:35 AM.
                        sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                        - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
                          Er I think you answered yourself in your first post

This:The GI100 works like a standard DI box. You can use it to tap into your amplifier's speaker outputs, even high-powered rigs with ratings of up to 3,000 Watts. Or, just plug your guitar directly into the GI100, switch on the unbelievably realistic 4x12 cabinet simulation designed by renowned engineer Juergen Rath, and you've got rock royalty-sized tone in a package the size of a cheeseburger! You may never mic your speakers again!

And here's the result...

Not saying I have'nt done worse...but..

Hmm...actually, maybe I should give it another go ...but with WAY less reverb...

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                          X