Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick ohm question.

Real quick.

Can i replace the stock 16ohm speaker in a 1X12 combo amp, with an 8ohm speaker ?

Is it safe to do so ?

If so, what will i notice ?

Thanks to all
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Re: Quick ohm question.

I wouldn't. Especially if it's a tube amp.

Comment

It would depend on the amp and how hard you plan on working it. Unless it's a piece of junk or you plan on running it flat out a mismatch from 16 to 8 wouldn't bother me. I've never blown any amp (either guitar or home stereo) from a mismatch. But I keep in mind how much the amp can "lift" and keep the volume level reasonable.

Comment

Impedance matching is always the best policy!
        People do 1 step mismatches frequently and get by, BUT I don't/won't unless the manufacturer of the amp approves it in their manual. Higher impedance is potentially harder on a tube amp than lower than recommended. Higher impedance is fine for a solid state amp; lower is NOT! Anything other than a match results in loss of efficiency as well.

Can I haul 1 ton of gravel in my 1/2 ton pickup truck? ....Every day? ....For years?

Comment

Do you have an 8ohm tap on the amp?

Based on the amp and components it could be fine for years or could cause issues immediately.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thanks to all so far.

No, the amp in question is not mine.
            I am justtryign to help a friend.

The amp is a 30W Orange Rocker 30 1X12 combo.
            Stock speaker is a 16ohm unit.
            He can get a used 8ohm Jensen Blackbrid ---> https://www.jensentone.com/jet_series/blackbird_12

I almost think the stock speaker is a Vintage 30 . . . but not 100% sure.
            Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

Comment

I wouldn't do it
              My rule of thumb is - higher ohm cabs/speakers cool with lower ohm output but not vice versa.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hydro View Post
                I wouldn't do it
                My rule of thumb is - higher ohm cabs/speakers cool with lower ohm output but not vice versa.
                You have it backwards for tube amps....what you state is correct for solid state amps.

Comment

Rocker 30s stock speaker is a Vintage 30 and the amp (and all modern Oranges) are engineered with that speaker in mind.

That amp is a modern classic and is getting harder to find. I wouldn't mod it.
                  green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                    Rocker 30s stock speaker is a Vintage 30 and the amp (and all modern Oranges) are engineered with that speaker in mind.

That amp is a modern classic and is getting harder to find. I wouldn't mod it.

Thanks Empty Pockets . . . i'll tell Mark (the owner of said Rocker 50)

That brings a 2nd question to light : IF the amp is so sweet . . . why would Orange discontinue something so good ?
                    I can understand if a unit does not sell . . . but if it is popular, and sell well, because it is a good sounding amp mmmmmm ?

Comment

PS : talking about being discontinued.

I read on the Orange FB Page that the Thunderverb 50 is discontinued, or is about to be discounted

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
                        Can i replace the stock 16ohm speaker in a 1X12 combo amp, with an 8ohm speaker?
                        No problem. Just be sure to move the plug to the 8-ohm jack.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Orange Rocker.png
Views:	1
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	5796157

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75182[/ATTACH]

Now that IS good news . . . thanks ArtieToo !!!

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75182[/ATTACH]
                            Right??? It should have a 8ohm speaker outlet, at least every one I've ever seen was 8ohm/16ohm switchable. As Artie's pic shows it should have two 8ohm jacks. You should be able use either one if you are only running one 8ohm speaker but look for a speaker main....
                            I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Originally posted by hydro View Post
                              I wouldn't do it

Check out p. 29-34 from the Mesa boogie manual, which has a great explanation of impedence matching, and also says which mismatches are safe, including configs with multiple cabs, etc. In particular note, from p. 29

"You can always have a higher resistance (16 ohms, for example)
                              without damaging results, but too low of a resistance will likely cause problems.
                              MIS-MATCHING: When running a higher resistance (for example: 8 ohm output into 16 ohm cabinet), a slightly different feel and
                              response will be eminent. A slight mismatch can provide a darker smoother tone with a little less output and attack. This response is
                              a result of the amplifier running a bit cooler"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X