No announcement yet.

Help with tone: jcm 800 on a budget??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help with tone: jcm 800 on a budget??

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
    Before you do any actual modifications to the circuit try a little bit of tube rolling. JC's ship with tubes that are meh. If it were my amp I would put a couple EH or JJ 6L6GCs in there along with a mix of JJ ECC803S (V1, V2, and V5, my FAVORITE tube for Marshall-based circuits) and ECC83MG (V3 and V4, which both have cathode follower sections). Get an extra ECC83MG so you could try that in V1, too.You could also check out the Jet City Amelia, which seems to be a little less gainy than the JCA50H from what I hear.
    wow! LOOKS AWESOME! but our jetcity dealer is not bringing anything new these days

Comment

Originally posted by cris_hendrix View Post
      wow! LOOKS AWESOME! but our jetcity dealer is not bringing anything new these days
      From what I understand Doug at Jet City is pretty responsive to customers. If you e-mail him ([email protected]) he might be able to tell you how to get one easily.
      Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
        From what I understand Doug at Jet City is pretty responsive to customers. If you e-mail him ([email protected]) he might be able to tell you how to get one easily.
        well, finally i went for the jca50h...it's a beast...much much better than the peavey to my ears...now, has a ton of gain (too much) so i will mod it with time, otherwise sounds almost perfect. I had the impression it sounded worse in the store (the man had a warehouse veteran 30) and comparing to my celestion v-type, the warehouse sounded like...eh...blown? i don't know. But i think i've found a keeper. thanks forum!

Comment

Laney AOR series.
          Originally posted by Gearjoneser
          Put the two together, and make it Kambone.

Comment

Windsor does a good job on a tight budget for sure. Get a good set of PT's in it and have it properly biased and stay away from it's matching 4x12.
            My Bands -
            https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
            www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
            www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
            GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by cris_hendrix View Post
              I guess is the closer/best choice i have. There is a "jcm800 mod" for it, i will check it out. Thanks!
              Any other opinions? is there any love for the Jetcity over the Blackstar for what i need?
              There is with me. I find the Jet City gain to be more controllable and usable. The Blackstar can sound good at higher gain but does not clean up well with a volume roll off or do lower gain settings well like the Jet City will. The Blackstar to me feels more like a good SS amp that a real tube amp.
              Last edited by Ascension; 01-16-2018, 12:31 AM.
              Guitars
              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I know you've already decided, but a DSL40C combo is a good alternative. It's a 2 EL 34 amp with the same control layout as the DSL 50. It's 40 watts with a switch down to 20 watts. I wanted a DSL 50 as a more affordable alternative to another JCM 800. I'd still love to own another 800, but I don't gig and I really don't have room for a head and a cab.

The 40C sounds really good with a creamback speaker and some tube changes.
                My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by newking70 View Post
                  Laney AOR series.
                  Yes, I have owned both and the Laney was the real beast at lower volume levels. The Marshall was very nice though not as evil as the Laney could be.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                    The Blackstar to me feels more like a good SS amp that a real tube amp.
                    +1
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                    X