New Amp Day: Yamaha THR10C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Amp Day: Yamaha THR10C

I've been looking for something more quiet to practice with as my Fender Blues Deluxe is just too loud. Have not jived with processors personally...Boss was my favorite but still didn't sit right with me.

Was at Guitar Center and found this gem used. I've heard great things about these, but had never tried one. Went out and got my Tele to test it and was blown away by the tone of such a small amp (2x3" speakers.) The amp is not loud which makes it perfect for the apartment. It has head phone out, auxiliary out and even USB out-pretty cool.

Has a setting for Bass and Acoustic--don't have a complete bass on hand but did plug in my Martin-sounded better than any acoustic amp I've used. I think some some might find the effects too simplified but they are perfect for me.

Over all a super amp that sounds phenomenal for the size and price. Anyone else tried one/have one?
    Attached Files

Re: New Amp Day: Yamaha THR10C

I have an old Microcube. It's perfect for such situations as you describe. I've cranked it in motel/hotel rooms without a problem. From what I've heard of it the THR is just as good and in stereo. Enjoy!

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Cool, that seems like a great late night practice amp.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
        I have an old Microcube. It's perfect for such situations as you describe. I've cranked it in motel/hotel rooms without a problem. From what I've heard of it the THR is just as good and in stereo. Enjoy!

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
        Thanks, definitely will enjoy!

I nearly went with a Cube, really dig their drive tones. But just never pulled the trigger for some reason. The THR has amazing clean tones, the Classic model I got is not for those who want a ton of gain though.

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        Cool, that seems like a great late night practice amp.
        It really is...two of the amp settings with gain can get a tad too loud, but everything else is perfect for an apartment even with the volume all the way up. Really cool unit.

Comment

Congrats! I have'nt tried these but I really like the sound of the medium gain/cream ones...
          "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
          If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
            Congrats! I haven't tried these but I really like the sound of the medium gain/cream ones...
            Thanks! My playing doesn't use heavy gain, so I went with the classic. Also having the bass and acoustic settings are cool too. The cleans are very brilliant and chimey like a tube amp...which is what sold me on the amp. I've never found a clean tone I really liked with Pods, GTs, V-amps, etc.

Comment

This is the practice amp I have been looking at. You may have pushed me to finally try one out.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                This is the practice amp I have been looking at. You may have pushed me to finally try one out.
                I would definitely give them a tryout and see what you think–you would probably prefer the 10X over the 10C.

Oh, and these can also run off of batteries. So versatile and the tone for such a small amp is simply amazing!

Comment

Congrats! Welcome to THR master race

Comment

Originally posted by stef89 View Post
                    Congrats! Welcome to THR master race
                    Thanks! Surprised it took me this long. I've only had great experiences with Yamaha products.

Comment

Recently bought the regular THR10, and have enjoyed it a great deal. If you want an amp that "sounds big" on a small scale, these are hard to beat.

A few notes:

1.) If you want more variety, it's a good unit to pair with your favorite software sim, like S-Gear or Bias. Good latency and excellent sound from the speakers. It sends both modeled sound and DI signals simultaneously via 2 different LR channels, which is super versatile.

2.) Mine craps out when on batteries, even brand new ones. Cuts out when I hit the strings hard, to the point where it's unusable. The C and X models might not have this problem. Not a deal-breaker, but annoying as hell because portability is a touted feature.

3.) If you haven't yet, try tweaking with the included software. It keeps the options pretty simple still, but adds some useful tone-shaping features: compression, cab switching, and a couple nice reverbs.

Enjoy!
                      Last edited by Mononoaware; 07-11-2017, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mononoaware View Post
                        Recently bought the regular THR10, and have enjoyed it a great deal. If you want an amp that "sounds big" on a small scale, these are hard to beat.

A few notes:

1.) If you want more variety, it's a good unit to pair with your favorite software sim, like S-Gear or Bias. Good latency and excellent sound from the speakers. It sends both modeled sound and DI signals simultaneously via 2 different LR channels, which is super versatile.

2.) Mine craps out when on batteries, even brand new ones. Cuts out when I hit the strings hard, to the point where it's unusable. The C and X models might not have this problem. Not a deal-breaker, but annoying as hell because portability is a touted feature.

3.) If you haven't yet, try tweaking with the included software. It keeps the options pretty simple still, but adds some useful tone-shaping features: compression, cab switching, and a couple nice reverbs.

Enjoy!
                        Thanks for the info! I haven't tried the batteries yet, was thinking it would be cool for camping but not something I would ever really use. I've read some guys getting 2 hours worth on the THR10C with cheap batteries and 8 hours with others.

Comment

I had an X model, really impressive.

Comment

Hopefully you won't have the problems I've had with the batteries. It hasn't been a problem of the batteries dying early -- it's more like a "fuse" goes out when you push the input sometimes. Turning the amp off and back on resets it, until you whack the strings again. Kind of a buzzkill just when you're ready to rip out a solo.

Comment

I have always been interested in those amps now you really have me thinking.

Comment

Working...
                              X