banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1976 100 watt Marshall JMP Super lead vs 1977 JMP Super lead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1976 100 watt Marshall JMP Super lead vs 1977 JMP Super lead.

I have an opportunity to buy a 77 JMP Super lead with the MV mod. I can’t find any info on that year but plenty on the 76. All the sounds I heard from the 76 sound amazing. Are these completely different tones or would they compare?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Re: 1976 100 watt Marshall JMP Super lead vs 1977 JMP Super lead.

Basically the same amp, however, little things can affect the final sound. I own several early '70's Superleads and they all have their own personality. Can you try out this amp with your own guitar? Ultimately what really matters is how it sounds to you.
    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I can try it with my guitar. is the difference that the 76 is a plexi and the 77 is a metal face?

Comment

The term "plexi" refers to the plexiglass front panel Marshall used until 1969. Starting around 1970 the front panel was metal.

There is no significant difference between '76 and '77 models.

You might want to read up on some Marshall history.

How well do you know your Marshall history? Take a look back from the early days in 1962 to the end of hand-wired circuitry in 1973.

-Chris

Comment

I would also ask what type of music do you like to play? What kind of sound are you looking for?

Where are you located and is the price comparable to your market?

100 watt Marshalls from the '60's and '70's can be temperamental and may not offer the tonal range some players want or need.

A good MV certainly can make all the difference, and there are some modders out there who tweak Marshalls (or like circuits).
          -Chris

Comment

Is it me or was there no information about Marshall’s after 73 in the articles?

Comment

1976 100 watt Marshall JMP Super lead vs 1977 JMP Super lead.

I play metal/ hard rock. I like a good grind also with an organic flavor and a somewhat tight bottom end but not too modern. Tool , System of a Down, AIC, Nirvana are my favorite bands. I’m in The Northwest. This one was a non MV that was modded to have the MV in the back of the amp. No holes drilled.Thank you for your responses btw.

Last edited by themeansr; 11-09-2017, 11:28 PM.

Comment

That is because everything after 1973 is crap...

(I kidd, I kidd)... The 1959 design is basically the same from '67 to '73. The biggest change was going to the printed circuit board mid way thru 1973 (however the sound and design remained until '75-'76). The tubes changed from EL34s to 6550s around that time as well (my memory is foggy) I think there were some cosmetic changes in the '76-'77 range, but if I recall correctly the factory MV started in 1976 (ish).

I will never tell you not to get a classic Marshall ( I have several and love them all like children), but they are not all in one wonders with channel switching and effects loops. Super tight "chugga chugga" is not what they do (you may get what you want with pedals of course). Tone is subjective. One man's bright is anothers cut.

Try it out and see what you think.
                -Chris

Comment

Thx. I have a Roadster that can chug if needed. I’m looking for tone.

Comment

Clapton says "the tone is in the trousers" (but he used Marshalls)

Only you can decide if you like what you hear. You can't go wrong with a Les Paul thru a Marshall in my opinion. I play strats, teles, Les Pauls, Jags/Jazz, everything thru mine and have no complaints.

Of course, I hoard gear like an old lady does cats.
                    -Chris

Comment

Looking for this tone

Comment

Originally posted by themeansr View Post
                        https://youtu.be/LUf551mWkrk
                        Looking for this tone

You will love the JMP then. Play it and have it checked out to be certain there is no monkey business inside
                        -Chris

Comment

In 76, they put out a 50 watt "non cascaded" version MKII / JMP (?) that a lot of people try to avoid, so be aware of that. Don't ask me what non cacaded is- it has something to do with the way the preamp is designed. You'll be fine with the 100 watter.
                          Last edited by MetalManiac; 11-10-2017, 10:54 AM.
                          "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                            In 76, they put out a 50 watt "non cascaded" version MKII / JMP (?) that a lot of people try to avoid, so be aware of that. Don't ask me what non cacaded is- it has something to do with the way the preamp is designed. You'll be fine with the 100 watter.
                            He's looking at a Superlead that was modded to have a master volume, so that doesn't apply. The non-cascaded preamp you're talking about is from the first generation 2203 and 2204 from '75 and '76. I don't remember how it worked, but the high and low sensitivity inputs were literally that. Many players weren't happy with the tone, and it was redesigned for '77. The 2nd generation 2203 and 2204 bypass the first preamp gain stage when using the low input.
                            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by themeansr View Post
                              Is it me or was there no information about Marshall’s after 73 in the articles?

There's allot of good info in here
                              sigpic
                              Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Working...
                              X