Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line 6 cabinets

Hello all;

I'm wondering if there is free wisdom available about the Line 6 Spider V 412 cabinets?
    The price of the unit is nice but....
    Also looking at the Acoustic 412 cabinets.
    I thank all ya all in advance.
    Ponto

Re: Line 6 cabinets

I think if you are looking for bang for your buck the Line 6 would be the way to go. It is loaded with Celestion speakers. The lower end Celestion speakers seem to be voiced for hard rock and metal, Celestion knows their target market. The big question is what kind of music are you playing? What is the application for the cab?

For the money, you are looking to spend you could probably get a used Marshall cab on Craigslist, that might be the better way to go.

Comment

I would be inclined to look for a used Randall with celestions. They sound like Marshalls, built solid, but less than half the price.

My line 6 cab had "designed for line6" celestion that was lighter weight and different cone, not a 'real' celestion. it sounded good but was voiced for emulations and was not road worthy - it started to crap out after a couple years of gigs.

Comment

Unless it's going to be for home use only, I would save up for a cabinet constructed of plywood, not MDF. Or, find a good deal, used. MDF is heavy and doesn't hold up nearly as well to abuse or the elements.
        I have an MDF 4x12 that I got for dirt cheap. It needed work and it now has a plywood baffle and back board. But that cabinet sounds huge. It's loaded with WGS speakers. MDF doesn't necessarily sound bad, but again, it's heavy and no very road worthy. And usually, they don't come with the best speakers. Best bet if the budget is tight, look used for a plywood cab already loaded with nice speakers. Even if you don't plan on gigging with the cabinet, you'll be out more money buying a cheap MDF cab if you end up having to replace crappy speakers. Again, the cheap cabs often don't come with great speakers.

Comment

Unless it's a Spider Valve 412VS, you'd be better off steering clear. The 412VS is plywood and has Celestion V30s and is a good option for a good used cab cheap, but if you search around you can often find Marshall 1960 cabs or even Mesa cabs for fairly cheap
          sigpic
          Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
            My line 6 cab had "designed for line6" celestion that was lighter weight and different cone, not a 'real' celestion. it sounded good but was voiced for emulations
            If you look at the model number, those "designed for Line 6" Celestions are actually just rebadged Seventy 80's. Not even "voiced for emulations", just budget Celestions that happen to be somewhat flat-sounding.

Comment

My playing tends towards the blues and what I need is good mids out of the speakers.

Comment

Then I might suggest the Fender FM 412. They go for about $150 on the used market and are solid plywood construction. They are very underrated cabs with pretty good speakers. I think because they are from the Frontman line they have a stigma, which drives down the price on the secondary market.

Comment

lHey Securb;

Thanks for the advice. I always kept that in mind and I was at my local hole in the wall music store run by a friend of mine and low and behold there was a
                  great FM 412 on the shelf. $99.99 no less !!!!!!! Tried it with a Marshall 50 top and it sounds GREAT.
                  Thanks a million for the advice.

Pontoo12

Comment

Nice score! I would buy a second one for $99 in a heartbeat. Not only is it a good "bang for your buck " cab, it is a good cab. They are also pretty nice looking. Casters, recessed handles and removable grill. I have tons of cabs with all types of the modern and vintage speaker but find myself always going back to the FM 412. It just sounds so damn good.

Comment

It really does sound great, It gives me a really Full Sound with good mids.
                      Thanks again for the advice.
                      Pontoo12

Comment

Working...
                      X