banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amp stacking with unmatched impendance into one cab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp stacking with unmatched impendance into one cab?

So I’ve been wanting put some rigs together recently. I have a 100w super lead clone which has an impendance switch on the back, I want to stack this in my mix with a Vox mv50 which runs at 4ohms. I’d like to be able to switch between these for a clean/dirty tone. I’d also like to be able to mix them together. Both of these would be going into a 1960ax which is a 16ohm cab. Is there anyway I can do this while retaining all of the amps’ glory? Thanks in advance.

Re: Amp stacking with unmatched impendance into one cab?

Plugging both of those amps into one cabinet will destroy one or both of them. You need another cab or some kind of switching load box to achieve your goal.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

For switching between amps into a single cab, something like the Radial Headbone switcher. To use both at the same time into the same 4x12 cab, as far as I know, you'd have to split the speakers between amps. One amp to two speakers the other amp to the other two. Then you could use an ABY box to switch between amps or run them both at the same time. Not sure how that would sound if there was a lot of power difference between both amps. I guess it would depend, but it's doable.

Comment

Okay how could I do that?

Comment

Yeah that would work but In a perfect situation I’d like to have 4 speakers outputting all the time whether it’s one of the amps or both. I wonder if there is a way to match and mix the outputs?

Comment

I would seem possible with a more complicated switching device but I have no idea if one is commercially available or where to look. Someone else may be more helpful. I'm think that it would be simpler to just use two cabs and an ABY.

Comment

Rewire your cab to accomodate this.[ 2 x 12 / x 2 ]

Make it a stereo wired cab. Run your two heads into it.
              Trying to run your two heads into all four speakers is virtually impossible.
              sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
              - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

^^^ Those are the same plates I use on my cabinets. I don't use them for stereo but they add versatility beyond just being good for stereo. With an ABY switcher, it would work perfectly for what the OP wants to do if he is willing to give up on running all 4 speakers when only a single amp is in use. Of course, the impedance listed on the plate may not be accurate, depending on the configuration and the impedance of the speakers. By the way, they are made pretty well and a bargain at $15 relative to what else is out there. Good choice if they fit the existing input dish cutout.

AES carries them. Here ... https://www.tubesandmore.com/product...lay-monostereo

Check the associated files on that same page for schematics, specs and configurations.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarguy418 View Post
                  Yeah that would work but In a perfect situation I’d like to have 4 speakers outputting all the time whether it’s one of the amps or both. I wonder if there is a way to match and mix the outputs?
                  You can't have to amps connected to a same speaker, because amps outputs would cross, which would fry them.

So you have to split the cabinet, and use 2 speakers for one and 2 speakers for other amp, if you want to mix them.

For a better help, what impedance are the speakers in the cab?
                  "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                  Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Actually, you can. With something like this ... http://www.tonebone.com/headbone.php Just not at the same time.

The issue is that there is no way, that I know of, to have both amps on at the same time running 2 speakers each AND have a single amp run all 4 speakers when it's on alone. It's one or the other on all 4 speakers, or 2 speakers off one amp and 2 off the other.

There probably is a way to do it with a much more complex switcher/switchers but I don't know of any that are commercially available.

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
                      Actually, you can. With something like this ... http://www.tonebone.com/headbone.php Just not at the same time.

The issue is that there is no way, that I know of, to have both amps on at the same time running 2 speakers each AND have a single amp run all 4 speakers when it's on alone. It's one or the other on all 4 speakers, or 2 speakers off one amp and 2 off the other.

There probably is a way to do it with a much more complex switcher/switchers but I don't know of any that are commercially available.
                      Or economically practical. For the price of a switcher you could buy another cab.
                      sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                      - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
                        Or economically practical. For the price of a switcher you could buy another cab.
                        Yeah, it's $250 for the Headbone. Cant imagine what a custom switcher that does what he wants would cost, if it's buildable.

Comment

Well, obviously... If I recall correctly, Guitarguy specifically said he wanted to use both amps at the same time.

For what I understood, the most useful and practical solution for the question would be to connect both amps into same 4x12 cab with 2 speakers for each, and use ABY switcher between amps and guitar.
                          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                            Well, obviously... If I recall correctly, Guitarguy specifically said he wanted to use both amps at the same time.

For what I understood, the most useful and practical solution for the question would be to connect both amps into same 4x12 cab with 2 speakers for each, and use ABY switcher between amps and guitar.
                            I agree with you on the most practical solution. Guitarguy wants to have his cake and eat it too, so to speak. He actually wants to be able to have each amp drive two of the speakers when the two amps are on together. Easy enough with the ABY. But he also wants a single amp to drive all 4 speakers when it is on alone.

Comment

I agree with you on the most practical solution. Guitarguy wants to have his cake and eat it too, so to speak. He actually wants to be able to have each amp drive two of the speakers when the two amps are on together. Easy enough with the ABY. But he also wants a single amp to drive all 4 speakers when it is on alone.
                              I'm not very familiar with headbone: Does it simply swicth between cabs, or can it also be used to switch amps at the same time.

Switcher that puts on all 4 speakers with single amp, and cuts it to 2 speakers per amp when both are on seems technically possible, and not even difficult to design.

But does it exist?

Comment

Working...
                              X