Matchless Avenger - clean issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matchless Avenger - clean issue

My matchless Avenger was custom made for me 2014. I got it plugged it in to my Matchless 410 cab. I have my master at 2 volume at 12 bass 11 mid at 10 treble at 11 bright at 9 reverb at 12. The breakup is way to strong—- fuzzy and flabby—// the amp power section 4 x el84 5 x 12ax7 —- using a gz34 rectifier —— it’s bassically the power section of the HC30 and preamp of the Chieftain. As you Matchless players know that the HC30 has an awesome robust LOUD clean sound. Can anyone tell me how I can clean my Avenger up? I’ve tried the high rating el84s as well as 5751 preamp Tubes and no dice. Anyone know what’s going on? I’m thinking sending it back to Phil at Matchless.

Sincerely,

Allen

Re: Matchless Avenger - clean issue

Pre-amp high, master volume low ? That's probably the problem right there. You need to run those 'backwards' ... pre-amp volume low-ish, master volume set high. If the master volume is switchable/ defeatable, try switching it out of circuit.
    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Also try at7/ay7 Preamp tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
        Also try at7/ay7 Preamp tubes.

I’ll give that a try thanks!

Comment

I apologize lumbering dinosaur for asking but you own a Matchless Amplifier?

Volume at 12 and master at 2 are amazing settings on all my Matchless Amps.

I appreciate your help tho

Sincerely

Matchlessaz
          Last edited by Matchlessaz; 11-18-2017, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchlessaz View Post

Volume at 12 and master at 2 are amazing settings on all my Matchless Amps.

I appreciate your help tho

Sincerely

Matchlessaz
            Which might be great for high gain but no good for cleans. You ought to try Crusty's suggestion and dial it the other way around.[ pretty easy to turn a few controls ]
            It makes no difference that lt's a Matchless . It's how Pre-amp to power amp gain works.

NB: Crusty does have a Matchless.
            Last edited by GoldenVulture; 11-18-2017, 07:25 PM.
            sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
            - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
              Which might be great for high gain but no good for cleans. You ought to try Crusty's suggestion and dial it the other way around.[ pretty easy to turn a few controls ]
              It makes no difference that lt's a Matchless . It's how Pre-amp to power amp gain works.

NB: Crusty does have a Matchless.
              Right on.... I hear hear you.... just saying owning a Matchless Clubman Cheiftainan HC30 as well as the amp of discussion the Avenger——-

All besides the Avenger are killer with volume at 12 and Master bw 12-2 ——— the Avenger volume 12 and master bw 12/2 sounds WAY DISTORTED beyond clarity for a Matchless.

To get with whatever is going on I have my bass at 9 mid at zero treble at 8 bright at zero and reverb at 12......

It’s all good and thank y’all kindly for reaching out🙏🙏🙏

Comment

Originally posted by Matchlessaz View Post
                I don't own an actual Matchless, but my main amp is a DC30 I built .... not from a kit, but from scratch, folding the chasis, doing the woodwork, testing/ selecting every single component, designing the torroidal transformers I had built, tweaking to suit my purposes, etc.

But any valve amp with a master volume is going to behave this way (I opted not to have a master volume control in my build to keep it closer to the Vox AC30, on which the DC30 is based). The entire reason for the development of the master volume control was to allow the user to push the preamp volume whilst keeping the overall output low (as set by the M/V control) in order to emulate the sound of a big amp cranked, but at lower volumes.

So ... high preamp volume with the master set low is for those looking for a dirtier sound at low levels. To get more clean volume from such amps, keep the preamp volume (sometimes/ often called 'gain') low and wind the master volume up .... probably not all the way, but to maybe 50-60%.

Matchless didn't re-invent anything in the amp world, they just built high-quality amps based on older designs, perhaps with a few tweaks here and there. Many amps are a compromise between their clean and dirty sounds, unless they use more sophisticated circuitry with more separate, dedicated channels.

Also the fact that " My matchless Avenger was custom made for me 2014 " .... may play into the equation. In what way is does it differ from the standard model ? If it was tweaked for more gain, it's quite likely that that could limit the amount of clean headroom available.

If you seriously think that trying different gain preamp valves before simply turning a couple of knobs ... well .... the knobs are there for a reason ya know. Forget the numbers of the control settings ... turn the knobs and use your ears.
                Last edited by crusty philtrum; 11-18-2017, 11:29 PM.
                Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
                  I don't own an actual Matchless, but my main amp is a DC30 I built .... not from a kit, but from scratch, folding the chasis, doing the woodwork, testing/ selecting every single component, designing the torroidal transformers I had built, tweaking to suit my purposes, etc.

But any valve amp with a master volume is going to behave this way (I opted not to have a master volume control in my build to keep it closer to the Vox AC30, on which the DC30 is based). The entire reason for the development of the master volume control was to allow the user to push the preamp volume whilst keeping the overall output low (as set by the M/V control) in order to emulate the sound of a big amp cranked, but at lower volumes.

So ... high preamp volume with the master set low is for those looking for a dirtier sound at low levels. To get more clean volume from such amps, keep the preamp volume (sometimes/ often called 'gain') low and wind the master volume up .... probably not all the way, but to maybe 50-60%.

Matchless didn't re-invent anything in the amp world, they just built high-quality amps based on older designs, perhaps with a few tweaks here and there. Many amps are a compromise between their clean and dirty sounds, unless they use more sophisticated circuitry with more separate, dedicated channels.

Also the fact that " My matchless Avenger was custom made for me 2014 " .... may play into the equation. In what way is does it differ from the standard model ? If it was tweaked for more gain, it's quite likely that that could limit the amount of clean headroom available.

If you seriously think that trying different gain preamp valves before simply turning a couple of knobs ... well .... the knobs are there for a reason ya know. Forget the numbers of the control settings ... turn the knobs and use your ears.
                  I completely agree brother—- moreover I made myself important when I said the Avenger was custom made for me—— i called spoke w Phil and asked him if could build me an Avenger- since at the time the Avenger was discontinued....

All I can tell you guys is -

volume is at 12

bass mid treble and bright are at O

Master at 12-2

Sounds killer——-

Tho with the settings I stated —- i’m not sure or positive that the avenger should sound the way does

Comment

Working...
                  X