Celestion Gold or Cream?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celestion Gold or Cream?

Anyone have first-hand experience with these two speakers? Which would you use in a 1x12 cab that's mostly used at low volumes, but will sometimes be used loud in a full-band scenario?

Thanks.

Re: Celestion Gold or Cream?

FWIW, I've tried both of these speakers in a 1X12. In my case I settled on the Celestion Cream for that cabinet in the end. Although I did end up buying another gold to load my old 1969 Fender 2X12 cab eventually...

Anyway, In my 1X12 I thought the cream had a better character regardless of volume & I also find it more versatile. (I.E.- more compatible with a verity of of heads &/or styles of amplifiers) That said I do like the golds for higher gain &/or louder stuff a little better, or if I'm not overly concerned about a super dynamic clean tone? Again they are in a very old closed back 2X12 that's full of what's likely asbestos soaked house insulation but it has fantastic bass response when it's pushed!

Obviously speakers are very subjective so just like buying new pickups it's a rather personal choice. The size, design, build material used, & shape of the cabinet itself have a lot to do with the end result in your tone so if it's at all possible definitely try to hear them yourself. If not I think I remember The Tone King having a decent comparison video on YouTube that you can give a listen to with some headphones to get some idea of their differences & nuances?
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Thanks! Yeah, I saw that vid. In your experience, is the Gold much louder than the Cream like it is on that vid?

I've heard that and another comparison between the Cream and the Gold. It seems to me like the Gold is raspier and the Cream is... creamier? LOL. Is that your experience as well?

Honestly, I'm leaning towards the rougher, grindier tone of the Gold in the clips.
      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 11-24-2017, 01:57 PM.

Comment

I have no experience with the Cream, but a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue I bought used has a Celestion Gold in it and sounds amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
          Thanks! Yeah, I saw that vid. In your experience, is the Gold much louder than the Cream like it is on that vid?

I've heard that and another comparison between the Cream and the Gold. It seems to me like the Gold is raspier and the Cream is... creamier? LOL. Is that your experience as well?

Honestly, I'm leaning towards the rougher, grindier tone of the Gold in the clips.
          the rougher tone is because the gold is a lower watt speaker...the Tone King guy did no volume adjust ( but YOU can ) Both speakers have 100dB rating ...If you don't need the extra watts the gold 50 watt is great. The 90 is a better choice for more headroom cleans.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post

I don't know if I'd say that it's louder per say, but probably a bit more "open" sounding??? To my ears the Cream had a softer Midrange attack & a rounder/softer E.Q. in general. Again in my case I was looking for a lil more headroom & the extra wattage was also a plus because that 1X12 is pretty much the only cabinet that I always have out so it gets a lot of use with a verity of different 5W-50W amps....

I keep the other cabinets & my larger amps in storage down in my basement. Mostly because I'm just too lazy to go drag them out every time I want to play my living room & then put them back when I'm done, but also because I've got a fairly psychopathic 9 month old son who loves to destroy anything in his path!

LOL, plus personally I think they just don't sound as good when they're soaked in breast milk but again, speakers are subjective things...

Do you mind me asking what amp or amps your planning running through this speaker primarily?
            I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Thanks for the replies, dudes!

Originally posted by johnthomas View Post
              Both speakers have 100dB rating
              Yes, but so do the Vintage 30 and the Creamback H, and having both, I can tell you the Creamback is noticeably louder. My guess is Celestion rounds up their dB measurements, and maybe the Vintage 30 is something like 99.5 dB, and the Creamback is like 100.4, maybe? I don't know, that's me just guessing. It might be the same case for the Gold and the Cream?

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
              Do you mind me asking what amp or amps your planning running through this speaker primarily?
              Primarily my 1W Randall RD1 (12AU7 tube for power) at low volumes for bedroom practice, but I also want to be able to bring a small 1x12 to jams with my 20W Krank Rev Jr. (6L6's for power) instead of hauling a 4x12 around.
              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 11-25-2017, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Right on... I'm sure either would sound pretty great but the Gold may be a better choice for you since neither is a very high wattage amp. It should push a little more air with your 1W Randall & they have a tighter bass response while being pushed which is something that I'm assuming you are after?

At least those are my thoughts useing my 6505mh as a reference amplifier & keeping in mind that my Cream loaded 1X12 is a half-back cabinet while my Gold loaded 2X12 is a closed-back cab....

Comment

The gold is a spectacular sounding speaker.
                  Cream is excellent too.
                  But it is really hard to go past spectacular isn't it? Nice to have a touch of magic in the tone.
                  "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

My guess on the differences in perceived "loudness" between two Celestions with the same efficiency ratings are due to a difference in peaks and/or dips in the speakers responses where the human ear is most sensitive. Generally, the 2K-5K range but more narrowly, the 3.5K-4K range. Celestion probably measures average efficiency over a certain frequency range. So while two speakers may average out the same over that entire range, one may produce higher peak responses over the most sensitive range of human hearing. Then there are cabinet and room effects which can accentuate or attenuate certain frequencies or frequency ranges. To be clear, besides a very basic awareness of the concept, the technical aspects are beyond me.
                    Last edited by Darg1911; 11-27-2017, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X