New Boogie day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Boogie day!

Hit my local GC after work and they had a very clean little BOOGIE Subway Rocket Reverb in the used section at $399. Had to plug in as I own a early non verb Subway so wanted to check this one out. She sounded great had a lot different personality than the one I have was more agressive and bigger sounding. Dropped it on lay away for now will come home in a couple weeks. Even had the factory footswitch tucked neatly in the bag in the back!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Re: New Boogie day!

These are great little amps!
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That looks like a great amp, congrats! It is probably far more practical for my use case than my Trem O Verb!
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

cool little amps! enjoy

Comment

Thanks guys looking forward to this one. Have been running an early non reverb rocket as my Church amp for a number of years now and have really loved that little rig. This one is the later version with reverb and also has verb. It has a lot more gain is overall much more aggressive and was a little beast in the store yesterday! Will likely replace the .50 cal + head I have as I haven't played it out in well over a year now. Gives me a second play out small rig here at the house so I don't have to pull my church amp. The Zinky is more the high gain no effects heavy rock to metal beast this one will be set up with a board running a delay and digital verb + chorus in the loop for a modern worship snatch and go rig.
          Here is my current Rocket unmiced playing a worship event with some friends. The new one will fill this role so I can leave this one set up at my Church.
          Last edited by Ascension; 11-30-2017, 11:54 AM.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Congrats! Sounds like a great deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubba Z View Post
              Congrats! Sounds like a great deal.
              Think they thought the amp had an issue. The reverb and the channel switching on the front was not working right. Since I have an early non verb version I immediately thought wonder if the footswitch is in the bag in the back and is plugged up? Turned the amp around and took a look inside and yep. Unplugged the footswitch and suddenly the verb works and the front channel switch is running all 3 channels. Went straight for the counter at that point and started dealing. Just came out so they would not discount the amp on a cash deal so I just dropped a quick c note on it to lock it down on a lay away so I could spread it out a little.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
              Guitars

Comment

Another great find Bro! I want sooo bad to try one of those zinkys!!
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Nice score. Very neat little amps, and they sound BIG.

Bill
                  When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                    Nice score. Very neat little amps, and they sound BIG.

Bill
                    Thanks Bill. You arent kidding on these little amps sounding HUGE miced in the FOH! This is my early non verb Subway Rocket running a WGS ET 10 no effects other than a little Digital verb in the loop.
                    Last edited by Ascension; 12-01-2017, 11:22 PM.
                    Guitars

Comment

Picked it up today. At first was quite worried as when i got her home it sounded really dead and lifeless compared to the early 1990 non verb Subway Rocket I own. Then I noticed it had been tubed with JJ's the very definition of tone killers!! Got those POS JJ preamp tubes out of it and dropped a Tungsol in V1 and EH's in V2 and 3 and she came to life. MUCH better now no more harsh cleans and muddy crunches and she is much closer to my other one. Think I flat stole this little beast!
                      Last edited by Ascension; 12-07-2017, 10:26 PM.
                      Guitars

Comment

Was going to tell you I saw some Subways at Pacific NW guitar shows this fall. They sold for around $550 so you did good.

Good move on the tubes. The JJs are good tubes--love their EL84s, but their 12ax7s will make the amp sound very dark. A balanced JJ 12ax7 for the phase inverter slot is a good choice I've found; have them in my Maverick and DC-3.

Enjoy!

Bill
                        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                          Was going to tell you I saw some Subways at Pacific NW guitar shows this fall. They sold for around $550 so you did good.

Good move on the tubes. The JJs are good tubes--love their EL84s, but their 12ax7s will make the amp sound very dark. A balanced JJ 12ax7 for the phase inverter slot is a good choice I've found; have them in my Maverick and DC-3.

Enjoy!

Bill
                          Still fighting it a little Bill. Got some kind of a gremlin in the mid control and she just doesn't seem to have the gain and fatness she should. Will dive in and clean the controls then go through everything in a couple days. Do yo know if the Reverb model was voiced that differently from the early ones. The new one is dated internally as a 93 the old one 1990 so??
                          Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                            Another great find Bro! I want sooo bad to try one of those zinkys!!
                            My Zinky is an absolute monster. MUCH bigger and meaner sounding amp than my 3 Boogies and has more gain on tap also. It's not just normal gain but it's super touch sensitive. lighten up and roll back it really cleans up then hit it hard it just rips! That amp always takes my breath away bro if you get a chance to play one jump on it!! To bad Bruce is tied up with a non comp contract with Supro as his own stuff just was amazing!!
                            Quick recording of the Velvet demoing the new ET 90 I had just dropped in it with my little sony recorder in my music room here at the house. No effects just rolling back to clean up a little then rolling back up and hammering back in.
                            Last edited by Ascension; 12-19-2017, 10:53 PM.
                            Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                              Still fighting it a little Bill. Got some kind of a gremlin in the mid control and she just doesn't seem to have the gain and fatness she should. Will dive in and clean the controls then go through everything in a couple days. Do yo know if the Reverb model was voiced that differently from the early ones. The new one is dated internally as a 93 the old one 1990 so??
                              No idea at all, sorry. Just be sure to go thru the Owner's Manual. If you have questions, don't be shy about calling Mesa for answers.

Good luck!

Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X