Phase Inverter 12ax7 suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phase Inverter 12ax7 suggestions

I have an Orange AD30 Head. I was wondering what phase inverter tubes anyone suggests. Also, does it really matter to pay extra for a balanced 12ax7 in the PI position? Currently I have standard ECC308s in the V1 and V2, and then gold pin ECC38s in the V3 and V4. I'm kinda wanting to switch things up is why I'm asking. I'm also not certain that extra cost for the gold pin 12ax7 is worth it.

Re: Phase Inverter 12ax7 suggestions

Current production, I've always used a Sovtek LPS in the Phase Inverter slot. Never bothered with balanced. I think I have a 60's GE in that slot in my Marshall build now. Or maybe it's a Sylvania. My ears say there is a difference in, mostly the break-up, but the amp has to be cooking fairly good for me to hear it and it isn't earth shattering. For all I know, it may be just as much a tube to tube difference as a brand difference.

Comment

I usually use either the Sovtek LPS it a NOS something or other....
      Right now I have a NOS Mullard in my PI and it kills. The Sovtek is good but a little sterile compared to my Mullard.
      IMO the gold pin thing is all snake oil.

Comment

Thanks. Maybe I'll check out the Sovtek LPS.
        Last edited by alex73013; 12-04-2017, 02:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I prefer to have an unbalanced tube in the PI, because it gives a little more character to the power amp. My current favorite is the JJ ECC803S because it gives a nice push and crunch and helps with sustain a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by alex73013 View Post
            Thanks. Maybe I'll check out the Sovtek LPS.
            I’d actually try to steer you toward a NOS.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
              I prefer to have an unbalanced tube in the PI, because it gives a little more character to the power amp. My current favorite is the JJ ECC803S because it gives a nice push and crunch and helps with sustain a bit.
              I haven’t tried that tube in the PI but I do have one I’m my gain stage....it’s an awesome tube. JJ has really upped their game. They are hard to beat. Great tone at a great price.

Comment

I really like the Sovtek LPS on brighter amps and the JJ ECC803S in darker amps. Long plate 12AX7's sound nice in the PI position.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                  I really like the Sovtek LPS on brighter amps and the JJ ECC803S in darker amps. Long plate 12AX7's sound nice in the PI position.
                  Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                  I haven’t tried that tube in the PI but I do have one I’m my gain stage....it’s an awesome tube. JJ has really upped their game. They are hard to beat. Great tone at a great price.
                  Long plate tubes like the Sovtek LPS and JJ ECC803S tend to work best as a PI. Depending on the amp they can be prone to microphonics when used as a gain stage (V1, possibly V2 depending on the amp). I use Sovtek LPSs in my Marshall Jubilees.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I have a couple ecc803s coming my way I’ll try out in the PI.

Comment

I have an old Ei 12AX7 in my Helios PI slot. Its the one that "flashes" on power-up. Sounds fantastic!
                      Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
                      "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

Originally posted by metlking View Post
                        I have an old Ei 12AX7 in my Helios PI slot. Its the one that "flashes" on power-up. Sounds fantastic!
                        +1
                        I have one in my Marshall 2204 and they are a great tube for the PI.

Comment

Working...
                        X