Classic 20 Quagmire...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic 20 Quagmire...

So looking for an explanation of a issue I'm having with a slightly used Peavey Classic 20mh that I bought a while back. The amp arrived today looking perfect so I got it hooked up to my 1X12 cabinet to try it out & there was absolutely nothing coming out of the speaker?

The tubes are all glowing, the tube monitoring lights are green, & I'm currently plugged straight into the amp. Anyone out there have any ideas as to WTF is going on with this thing because I'm at a loss???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Re: Classic 20 Quagmire...

Really obvious, so no offense, but you did check the speaker enable switch on the back, yes?

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
      Really obvious, so no offense, but you did check the speaker enable switch on the back, yes?
      LOL, yes I did. That was one of the first things I thought of. Right next to checking to be sure that I had a speaker cable hooked up & a good instrument cable....

Also, I've figured out what was wrong now though & it's kinda odd!!! When I checked the tubes I didn't bother removing the 12AX7 cases, I just kept the room fairly dark & looked through the tops of them. Now when I checked them they were all glowing & I checked twice...

Shortly after that I was explaining to my wife that I was going to have to return it & why. When I did she had mentioned that she was out on the porch when the UPS guy dropped it off & he literally dropped it! I mean it was packed well but I figured before I packed it back up it might be worth having one more look at the the tubes & this time take the covers off the 12AX7's to really give them a good once over.

Power tubes were good & the two kinda assessable 12AX7's were also fine however there is a third 12AX7 that sits behind the transformer which makes it almost impossible to reach with the chassis installed. Even once I did manage to get my hand back there it became apparent very quickly that there was no way of removing that cover because again the chassis was installed & it sits under a piece of the cabinet's framing...

"WELL THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM RIGHT THERE!!!"
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	5804375

So basically it's partially my fault for not seeing it to begin with but mostly I blame the turd from UPS who dropped a package that was completely plastered with FRAGILE stickers 3 & 1/2 feet onto my cement porch floor!!! He's going to be dropping something else off tomorrow. Best case scenario I'm going to chew him out, worst case I'm going to make him deal with my wife! LOL, if I know her she'd be pimp slapping him down the street...

With all that said I'm glad I don't have to bother the seller with a return because he just a private guy that was trying to get some cash back on the amp for X-Mas money & I got a fantastic deal on it to begin with!!!
      I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Real nice, huh. Well, at least it was just a 12ax7.

Comment

Nice....you don’t get a much easier fix than that. Glad you got it sorted.

Comment

Yeah I'm pretty psyched that it wasn't anything too major!!! If it had been something much more serious I would have had no choice but to return it. Like I said the seller seemed like a very decent guy who had already given me a fantastic price on a amp he didn't even really want to sell. Really I think he just wanted to have a good Christmas with his kids & when I said it was having issues he still stepped up & offered me a refund without any hesitation.

Unfortunately the closest amp tech to me, or at least the closest amp tech that I'd actually trust to do work on anything that I own, is several hundred miles away so I'd have to ship it both ways as well as pay for the parts & labor. By the time I did all that the cost to me would probably be pretty close to what I spent on the amp to begin with!!!

Comment

Also I think this head is great!!!

It's not quite as nice as the tone that I get from my old 90's Classic 30 but it gets me 90% of the wat there & it sounds good at much lower volumes. Definitely a much more suitable mini head for me than the 6505mh I sold to buy it!!! Not that the 6505 wasn't good, IMHO high gain amps just don't sound right to me with EL84's....

Comment

I have adopted a personal policy. I will not buy anything unless the seller agrees to ship either USPS or FedEx...Absolutely NO UPS. My problems may be driver specific, but he's still assigned to my area, so NO WAY! If your problem is with one delivery guy and he's always the one who comes to your house, I'd suggest boycotting UPS.

AND do sic your wife on him for a good slapping!

Comment

Glad it was an easy fix! I bought a guitar from a forum bro a few years back and the shipping co beat it up pretty bad. I'll never use nor recommend that co. (DHL)
                  Bought a 2x12 combo once and the courier left it outside my front door where it got rained on for hours before I got home from work.. luckily, I was able to get it dried up with no damage. But nerve racking.. Anyhow, again, glad all is well!!
                  I have a classic 30 that I like a lot.. I prefer higher gain amps, so it doesn't get a lot of play, but it's a great all a rounder!
                  Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I helped my bro buy a Mesa Simul 395 about 10 years ago. It was shipped USPS, but the seller did a horrible job packing it. When it arrived the box was mostly destroyed and what was left was littered with broken tubes. On top of that the rack ears were bent, and they're made out of 1/4" thick steel! Thanks to USPS printing postage amounts on their labels, I found that he'd pocketed $20 over the actual shipping cost. In light of the damage I demanded and was able to get the extra $20 back, and luckily my dad had the right tools to repair the rack ears. I also used to have a lazy USPS driver that would send any package back to the post office for pickup without even attempting a delivery. I guess the lesson is "know your local delivery services" and plan accordingly.
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

The entire shipping process was just a nightmare! I bought it from a guy in Las Vegas & I live in NH, somehow they sent it to Canada by accident without any customs papers on it. Luckily I called about it before my ETA & they were able to get it back in the states pretty quickly once it was tracked down. On top of all that dude brings it to my doorstep & then gives it what I think was the final blow!!!

My worst experience with them ever was definitely when I bought my vintage VOX AC-30 though! I knew it was coming from the tracking & I knew what time because there’s a fabrication shop across the street so they come about the same time every day. I heard the truck pull up & looked out the window to see the driver flipping it end over end through the snow & up my driveway!!! I nearly kneecapped the the a$$!!!

The reverb tank was busted when I opened the box so I called them to complain & see about having it fixed. The guy that I spoke to said that if they have a heavy package that’s what they are supposed to do so they don’t get injured. Apparently they’ve never heard of a dolly??? As for getting it fixed they wanted me to give it back to them for 4-6 weeks so they could determine whether they were at fault or not & what to do about it. I told them that there was no way in hell I was letting them beat the crap out of for another month & a half!

In the end I just replaced it myself...

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
                        My worst experience with them ever was definitely when I bought my vintage VOX AC-30 though! I knew it was coming from the tracking & I knew what time because there’s a fabrication shop across the street so they come about the same time every day. I heard the truck pull up & looked out the window to see the driver flipping it end over end through the snow & up my driveway!!! I nearly kneecapped the the a$$!!!

The reverb tank was busted when I opened the box so I called them to complain & see about having it fixed. The guy that I spoke to said that if they have a heavy package that’s what they are supposed to do so they don’t get injured. Apparently they’ve never heard of a dolly??? As for getting it fixed they wanted me to give it back to them for 4-6 weeks so they could determine whether they were at fault or not & what to do about it. I told them that there was no way in hell I was letting them beat the crap out of for another month & a half!

In the end I just replaced it myself...
                        That's pretty much what happened with the broken tubes (I'm sure due to lousy packing) and the bent rack ears on my bro's 395. As rare as those are, there was no way I was letting it out of my sight. If I ever go back to rack gear, I'd track another one down in an instant.
                        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
                          . . . but mostly I blame the turd from UPS who dropped a package that was completely plastered with FRAGILE stickers . . .
                          I've always wanted to make a sticker that says: "This isn't FRAGILE beeatch! Throw it down as hard as you can. Wimp!"

Just to see what happens.

Artie

Comment

I sometimes wonder if by marking things as fragile, it isnt like drawing a bullseye on it. *** Slam me down!!!!!**
                            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                              I've always wanted to make a sticker that says: "This isn't FRAGILE beeatch! Throw it down as hard as you can. Wimp!"

Just to see what happens.

Artie
                              Lol...

Comment

Working...
                              X