Gain pedal with Peavey Classic 30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gain pedal with Peavey Classic 30?

I have a PV Classic 30 that I enjoy, but dont care for the lack of gain it has. Id like to be able to use it for jam get togethers, or even to practice more. Anyone have any suggestions for gain pedals that really work with this amp and get a good natural sounding tube amp gain? (it is a tube amp..)

I have a few Im planning to try, but its hard to get time to dig the diff ones up and all.
    Tried the Rat yest.. No

Somewhere I have :
    DS1 stock
    DS1 Spina modded
    Marshall Jackhammer
    Tube Screamer
    OCD
    Green Rhino.
    Gemini
    Im hoping I can get there with one I have already.. Suggestion where to start or what have you users found that works well?? Thanks
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Gain pedal with Peavey Classic 30?

So you have the amp and the pedals... You may be better off chaining all of them and playing to figure out what you like than coming here [emoji4]

I gigged with one for years playing classic rock and I thought it was enough gain. Are you looking for something more modern? Is the problem for leads or rhythm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Re: Gain pedal with Peavey Classic 30?

Are you going Pedal + Clean, or Dirt into overdrive?

That amp works great either way...

Go for Broke - Screamer into DS1 into slightly gritty amp for volume manipulation off guitar.

Clean (low vol)
      Grit (full vol)
      OD (screamer)
      Distortion (DS1)
      MEGA-METAL (Screamer + DS1)

But seriously - I could get happy (but different) sounds with any of those!
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I vote for the home team...an 805! It sounds more open, with more gain range than most TS-inspired pedals, yet, if you really want to, you can clone a TS pedal (I did with mine, just to see if I could).
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

my buddy has a SD1 he hits his C30 with
          I like the way Ace is thinking tho
          I would use the OCD into the DS1 tho
          roll back the gain on the DS1

I use my Joyo Ultimate drive into my Belair its all I need
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I’ve got a C30 that I’ve had for years. Upgraded speaker to a Jensen Mod 110 which gives a fuller sound, more low end. Power tubes were JJ’s that just had to be replaced and I put in EH EL84’s, can’t really notice a huge difference, both sound good. Preamp tubes are Tung Sol 12AX7 in V1, Groove Tubes 12AX7 in V2 and Sovtek 12AX7LPS in phase inverter V3. With all that, I like the gain channel but at lower gain settings, more crunch tones than lead. An OD helps but it’s still not a high gain type amp

So, pedals I’ve had or have through the clean channel:

I had an OCD and it sounded great
            I have an Xotic AC Booster (yellow one) sounds awesome with gain set anywhere from 10-12 o’clock
            I have a Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive that I set for lower gain, barely breaking up, then for leads with the AC Booster
            I have a Radial Tonebone Hot British for higher gain stuff that sounds great. More rock tones than metal. Not a metal amp.

Your OCD, Green Rhino, Tube Screamer and Jackhammer should all sound good I’d think. If you push your clean channel between 3 and 4 on the volume, yes it’ll be loud, but you’ll be able to push it to natural breakup and then any of these pedals will enhance that.

Comment

I play through a Classic 30 or Classic 20 about 80% of the time these days & personally I think that any of them would sound pretty great as a second drive CH, or layered over the amp's dirty CH provided you keep the gain settings at lower levels...

They are great pedal amps so as mentioned above if you have the amp & the boxes already then try them. No advise we can give you is a substitute for your own ears & physically using them in the applications that you need them to preform in yourself....

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	5804447
              FWIW this is what I'm running into mine currently & I couldn't be happier!!!

I like the GT-OD as a "Mid Bump/Boost" pedal better than my other Tube Screamers & T.S. clones because I think it's got a great jumping off point for the Classic 30 but any of them sound good. Stick a decent distortion behind it & life is beautiful!!!
              I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Start with the OCD in my opinion, adjust until it sounds best to you, then if it's not enough gain for you put the Tube Screamer in front of it.
                A guy I know gets a killer sound with just a Les Paul Deluxe (mini hums) into an OCD into a clean-ish Hiwatt 1x12 combo. Plenty of gain, thick and rich tone.

Comment

Wasted a few hours today running dirt pedals into my C30.
                  Didnt really find a clear winner..
                  Was able to eliminate some though.

The Vai Jemini pedal sounded good.
                  The FTL Drive sounded good.
                  My Spina modded DS1 sounded good.
                  My Fulltone OCD sounded good
                  And my Green Rhino sounded good.
                  I didnt find my Tube Screamer until after I had already torn down my rig.
                  Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

General Guitar Gadgets Brown Sound in a Box sounds great with my Classic 30!
                    “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

Did you build it?? Was it difficult?? Been wanting to try a kit ..

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I used to play around with a Boss EQ-20 in the loop of mine when I had it. You'd be surprised how much heavier/gainier you can get it to sound just using the EQ in the loop. Give it a shot if you have one.
                        Donnie
                        ---------
                        VVT Raptor 60W

Comment

You can also go the opposite way - instead of adding more gain for leads, turn it down for rhythm.... Crank the amp up to 10 and use one of your pedals as a Soldano Soundman to turn it down (post preamp - pre-power amp) for rhythm playing. Turn the pedal back to jump to full blast for lead. KRRRANG!!!
                          Last edited by dotsdad; 12-27-2017, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                            Did you build it?? Was it difficult?? Been wanting to try a kit ..
                            Yes, I built the BSIAB. If you can wire a guitar, you can build one of GGG's kits. The instructions are clear and easy to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by dotsdad View Post
                              Yes, I built the BSIAB. If you can wire a guitar, you can build one of GGG's kits. The instructions are clear and easy to follow.
                              Cool! Yeah, rewired many a guitar.. will have to give it a whirl.. Thanks

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                              X