School me on Mesas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School me on Mesas

All I ever see in stores or in people's rigs are Dual and Triple recs. And they're great, but it leaves very little insight into their other lines of amps. I was suprised to find out Mesa don't exclusively make metal amps.

Anybody feel like nerd-gushing here and fill me in on the Mesa range? Not looking to buy atm, just really curious about the brand.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Re: School me on Mesas

Nothing quite like the Mark-series for the total package of versatility. Mark4,5,jp2c+ especially.

Tremoverbs are amazingly versatile also, as are the newer multi-rectos and the road-series.

Many new models I've never tried, or even seen in real life. Triple Crown 100 with it's built-in attenuation is very interesting.

Also worth noting that they always have and still do service all mesa amps at the main factory in Petaluma CA.
    They also have certified service at various stores and techs all over the country, but if no one is close to your location you can send it home for repairs and/or maintenance.
    Last edited by dave74; 12-25-2017, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Ooh, I did actually get a chance to briefly try out the Triple Crown combo. Not enough to really get to know it, but what little time wwe did have together was very pleasant. Lovely litte box, that one.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      1973 Aria 551
      1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
      1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
      1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
      1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
      1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
      2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

I have a Dual Rect Blue Angel, which is anything but a metal amp. No master volume, 5 knobs, 2 sets of power tubes: 6v6s and EL84s, either alone or together. Sort of the Deluxe/AC30 of Mesas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mb-ba-panel-mes-03.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	5804584
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have a Mesa Mark V combo, which really it a tone tinkerer’s dream for anyone that has tone ADHD. You need to spend a lot of time tinkering and understanding the amp to start unlocking its full potential but I can go from ultra clean to jazz to ZZ Top, EVH brown, zep, to Metallica and beyond.

The dual Rec’s are a bit easier to dial in an operate

Comment

Originally posted by jmh151 View Post
            I have a Mesa Mark V combo, which really it a tone tinkerer’s dream for anyone that has tone ADHD. You need to spend a lot of time tinkering and understanding the amp to start unlocking its full potential but I can go from ultra clean to jazz to ZZ Top, EVH brown, zep, to Metallica and beyond.

The dual Rec’s are a bit easier to dial in an operate
            I love my MkV it really is the most versatile amp I've ever played. Just bought an Electra Dyne (discontinued) it's a great all around rock amp that covers vintage fender and Marshall tones. Even Rectifiers, while often thought of as metal amps, can cover a wide variety of genres.
            sigpic
            Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
              I was suprised to find out Mesa don't exclusively make metal amps.
              Most Mesa's aren't metal amps and one of their most famous metal amps didn't start as metal amp. Marks were marketed towards Jazz, Blues and Roots-Rock. Even had a 15" combo version for bigger/smoother cleans.

A lot of people know the Santana thing (Mark I), but overlook Keith Richards (Mark I), John Scofield (Mark I), Joe Walsh (Mark I), George Thorogood (Mark II), Bruce Springsteen (Mark II, Mark III, Lone Star, Electra Dyne), Jerry Garcia (Mark II), Prince (Mark II, Mark III), Al Di Meola (Mark II, Mark V, Stiletto), AC/DC (Studio Preamp/2:95 power amp back stage), Andy Summers (Mark II, TriAxis/2:90, Electra Dyne), Trey Anastasio (Mark III), Alex Lifeson (Mark V). There's probably more that I'm forgetting.

Lone Stars are basically (IMO) Marks. They harken back to the Mark I/II era with the big cleans and fat leads, only with better channel switching and reverb.

Rectifiers went the other direction. Designed as a metal amp they started as two channels of high gain with crappy a clean mode that was an afterthought. Over time they've developed into a versatile amp. Tremoverbs are all over rock and pop. On modern Dual/Triple Rectos Raw mode is pretty much a Mesa flavoured Plexi while Pushed mode has a lot in common with a Fender Deluxe (although the Deluxe never ever came with 100w/150w power sections and aren't typically plugged into 4x12). Interestingly, people are finding the 25w Rectoverb to be a pretty cool little blues amp.

The Triple Crown is pretty cool. It's the first amp I've played that really nailed the clean/crunch/lead thing. A lot of Mesa's I've played have done the clean and high gain thing really well and kind of struggled to do the mid-gain Marshall style sounds. With this amp they seem to have figured it out.
              Last edited by some_dude; 12-25-2017, 03:58 PM.
              || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Just been recording my rectoverb 25 combo - it’s my grab it and go amp and so flexible in the studio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've always been a Marshall guy, but I've played a Mark IV and been in the room with a fabulous pro playing it. Tone to die for. I came very close to buying a Stiletto at one point. It just didn't work out. Mesa builds such quality stuff.
                  My Sound Clips

Comment

I have used various models from Recto line for years and have a road king now. While it can do metal well, it also does a range of other things equally well

Comment

The Mk III, IV, V etc are seriously great all around amps that can rock hard - but don't have to.

As Mentioned - Tremo-verb and Recto-Verbs also great all around amps

They make a bunch of cool little guys like the Blue Angel, Subway Rocket, Studio .22 that are also NOT metal

And one day they woke up and said let's out-Marshall Marshall and Out-Fender Fender; The Stiletto and the Lone Star were the results. Mesa Marshall and Mesa Fenders
                      Last edited by Aceman; 12-26-2017, 10:01 PM.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        And one day they woke up and said let's out-Marshall Marshall and Out-Fender Fender; The Stiletto and the Lone Star were the results. Mesa Marshall and Mesa Fenders
                        Troof

Comment

And again - Mesa is known for the Uber-flexibility factor. Very few "one trick pony's" in the lineup.

And Yeah - I was an inch away from buying a 2555 Silver Jubilee head....until I gave the Stiletto a spin.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Lots of great info here, Boogie Bill is probably typing out a good lesson right now too!

The high gain Recto sound is what's all over the rock and metal airwaves, it's that iconic crunch. I almost bought one before I happened upon my Mark IV.

My former bandmate had a Lonestar Special and beside my Mark IV, we had a nice contrast of tones. I find my Mark can do everything from spanky cleans to warm jazz, sludgy vintage crunch to a more modern cutting rhythm, fat and thick high gain rhythms, and all possible manner of lead sounds across all channels.

Mesas (at least Marks and sometimes Rectifiers) seem to be labeled as hard to dial in. IMO it's not so much that they're difficult to use; more that they are just so damn flexible, it pays to read the manual and understand them. Then you can find a ton of sounds that are different, but each have that amp's flavour baked in.

It's been 7 or 8 years and after numerous pickup and guitar changes, different pedals, tubes, and fiddling with the knobs and switches, I've found my signature sound but there are more possibilities if I ever want something different.

I certainly can't speak to many of the Mesa line over the years like others here, but I can say I bought one on a whim and it was the best gear decision I've ever made. Ain't no lesson better than that son.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                            • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                            • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                            • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                            • G&L Tribute Comanche
                            • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                            • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                            • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666 View Post
                              Mesas (at least Marks and sometimes Rectifiers) seem to be labeled as hard to dial in. IMO it's not so much that they're difficult to use; more that they are just so damn flexible, it pays to read the manual and understand them. Then you can find a ton of sounds that are different, but each have that amp's flavour baked in.
                              IMO, Mesa's are easy to dial in when you're trying to make them sound like a Mesa and hard to dial in when you're trying to make them sound like something they're not.

Not that there isn't a learning curve, but getting a base tone is pretty easy provided you dig the sound out of the box.
                              || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Working...
                              X