Review of a Few Duncan Pedals Killing Floor, Palladium, Forza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of a Few Duncan Pedals Killing Floor, Palladium, Forza

A guy ended up giving me three brand new Duncan pedals as part of a trade for a guitar I built. It sounded like fun to review these, but I'm not the typical Duncan fanboi so I will not sugarcoat the review. First of all, I love made in USA products, and Seymour Duncan is an America-First company so, that's a big bonus. The build quality of all the pedals is fairly good. The Forza I guess is kind of Duncan's take on the proverbial overdrive pedal. I think it kind of does the more transparent Keeley boost thing than the 805 which is like a generic tube screamer with some added controls for versatility.

The Palladium is more of kind of a distortion pedal. I read the description with some fancy terms about drive stage or gain stage pedal, or whatever, but to me it's all worthless marketing hype. I liked the pedal a lot more than the advertising. I think Duncan really need to tone down their arrogance or something because they're not breaking new ground here. It's just a straight up overdrive, and I found it a lot easier to dial in usable tones by ignoring the hyped up manual. I'm sorry, but listen to this drivel

"The Palladium Gain Stage effects pedal is the first stompbox that actually captures the feel and responsiveness of a high gain tube amp.
    Description

By focusing beyond just the tonal characteristics of Palladium, we designed an innovative architecture that captures the full-bodied depth and character previously unattainable in an effects pedal.

You can use it with a power amp or a clean guitar amp to create your ultimate high gain signature sound, and replicate your favorite classic and high gain amp tones. Or use it in front of a distorted amp to tighten up the attack for rhythms or to increase sustain and saturation for solos. However you choose to use Palladium, we hope ... More
    "

They should just call it a distortion pedal that does medium and high gain. To me, it's like a 5150 overdrive clone. I still have my 5150 overdrive and it's still a lot of fun to play into a clean or dirty amp. Anyway my apologies for my disdain of Duncan's pompous marketing rhetoric, but I was kind of put off by it.

The MOST IMPRESSIVE pedal of all three however, was a single feature of the Killing Floor. I don't really get this pedal and it seems like whoever designed it got it through R&D without knowing what the hell it's supposed to be exactly. It's got a low cut, 36db boost, and a high cut. My first thought with this pedal was "cool, I'm going to boost my little 5w Fender clone," but it sounded honky and like the little 5E3 circuit didn't like what it was trying to pass through.

I tried a few things, but it all kind of sucked until I was playing through my Friedman BE channel an engaged the high cut. I like my BE gain on the bright side, so whatever it did, it did really cool. I'm not sure if it actually cuts out high frequencies or compresses the high end, but it didn't do any weird compression to the treble notes, so it started sounding very cool. The knob doesn't need to be up very far. REALLY fun soloing/noodling on this setting in BE mode.

Then I figure I'd go back to the little 5E3 and try the high cut, I set the knob kind of around the lower range and went through the instrument input of the amp which seems a little brighter. There was a beautiful top shaved kind of karrang. Little single note diddly-do leads and blues noodling is sweet.

I've played with the Killing Floor a little more since but can't find much of a use for it other than the high cut thing, but I really like whatever it does. It actually has a nice flavor and character which I with the other two pedals had a little more of. It's not cool to rag on the Forza and Palladium too much because I'm glad Duncan is putting out some diverse pedals. I wish they'd just do it with more purpose instead of adding their clone to the list of boutique clones out there.

For example, the Forza would be better if it had a high/low compression button instead of those little bitty tone knobs. The Palladium, for example, doesn't need the resonance and presence control. Those are controls used on an amp to control the frequencies when the power section gets loud. Whatever the Palladium is trying to emulate sucks at it. I don't think it needs the boost either. It's pretty useful with just the bass, level, gain, mids, and treble only. It's cool that it has two mid features, but does no good if I have my EQ pedal plugged in.

The Forza is more flexible than the Katana, but the Katana has better tone. The Palladium is very cool for an MXR style 5150 pedal, but the 5150 is more straightfoward and has a cool tone of its own. Lastly the Killing Floor does something special with it's hi cut, but not exactly sure how that plays out in a professional setting or recording situation. It seems like there are probably 1-2 tones somewhere if you stumble on the right settings on the right amp, but if you're trying to do the Supercharger thing to boost your amp all these DBs or whatever, it's not too great.

One last word... I think I'll keep the Killing Floor around just because it's unique and sooner or later I'll stumble into a use for it. For now, I'm looking forward to recording some Jamie Humphries sounding solos with that high cut setting.

Re: Review of a Few Duncan Pedals Killing Floor, Palladium, Forza

Thank you for the honest review! I have only played a little bit with the Palladium, but since high gain isn't my thing, I don't think I got the best of it. I haven't tried the Killing Floor yet, but now I am wanting to.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

the only one of those i own is the palladium. i like the boost a lot since i tend to run the gain and resonance low so i run the boost pretty high to push things for solos. i also like all the eq options. the resonance and presence controls on the pedal arent like the ones on the an amp but i find them very useful. presence is just a high treble control (its like 5.2k which controls the fizz) the resonance control is actually a low frequency gain control as far as i can tell which i like.

Comment

Robben Ford, who is not a high gain player either, seems to think very highly of the Palladium.
        Last edited by Lewguitar; 12-26-2017, 10:07 AM.
        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I don't have a lot of experience with SD pedals. In fact, the only one I've owned is the Twin Tube Classic, but it's a very versatile OD and Distortion tube pedal (two channel). Been discontinued for some time now, but could be a great second hand purchase. Only quirk is it has a 16 vac power supply, so if you buy one, make sure the PS comes with it. Turns your single channel amp into a 3 channel amp.

Comment

See, I tried to like the Twin Tube Classic, but it still had too much gain for me. I hear others who do well with it. John McLaughlin uses one, I'm told.

Comment

I remember the Twin Tube classic, and I remember A/B'ing it to the Vox Bulldog Distortion. Neither pedal was likeable across the range of controls, but there were some sweet sounds the Twin Tube classic could do to my Marshall plexi back then. I actually liked the Bulldog a lot. It's too bad Vox discontinued that one, but it also suffered from the same limitation. It seems like all tube pedals only have a couple of good sweet spots to offer.

To extend my review a little bit, the Forza is kind of good if you have a twangy, trebly amp that you want to tweak just a little and add a little gain boost. I wish I had one of those little Fender 57 Champs. They would probably get along great.

Well, anyway I don' want to be to harsh reviewing the SD pedals. It's just that I expected a little more uniqueness and personality. The Palladium is just too pretentious. It 's working for me if I use it in a very straightfoward way. All that gainstage B.S. and jargon doesn't do any good, so I wish they'd just simplify it a bit, give the distortion a little more unique color, and do away with all the pretense. The 5150 pedal is a better pedal because it does exactly that. All three pedals have potential, but I think the marketing is pretentious and the designs are a bit nebulous.

Every single feature, turn of the knob, flick of a switch, etc. should have a specific and practical purpose. They should cut the mumbo jumbo and lower the price with simpler, more effective and toneful products. Another example, why bother with the 805 just to throw Seymour Duncan into the boutique tube screamer mix. It's a good pedal, but it's nothing special. I bought that pedal hoping that some of that MJ + SD magic would be in the tone somewhere, but it wasn't. You can't use Seymour Duncan pedals and be able to recognize t they're Duncan pedals. In fact, midway through a set, someone might approach you and as you about your setup - then you'll have to look at your pedalboard to remember what pedal you're using. I want some damned Seymour Duncan magic!

Lastly, please figure out what the heck it is the Killing Floor is supposed to be. In fact, strip all the features and leave ONLY the high cut function and knob and then figure out how to make that sound good on any rig and in any setting. If you can do that, I would buy that pedal. If you don't, I'm going to scratch the Seymour Duncan name off of it, try to have it modded that way, and if it doesn't work out, throw it in the dumpster. Either way, whatever it is you stumbled upon with that high cut thing without actually screwing with it's ability to cut in the mix or lose presence, is total genius luck.

I know this sounds very blunt and kind of harsh, but I really like SD products and want to get my money's worth buying them. I can buy clone pedals anywhere. Someone at SD get it together and make me a great pedal and I'll be greatly thankful.
              Last edited by SavageRiffer; 12-27-2017, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Well, I would say the 805 is the best boutique TS I've ever used. Well, that isn't fair, since it does more than that. But out of every single new SD pedal I have tried, I like it the best...and it does what it does better than any other pedal out there.

Comment

Every pedal out their these days seems to be a tweak or a take on something that is already available. Some extra controls get added. Maybe a gain stage gets added. Or clipping diodes get changed. Or, some tweak to the circuit that shifts the frequency response. Or, someone does something kind of cool like adding a delay to an OD (like the Mad Professor Golden Cello). Not saying, for example, that all TS based pedals sound the same. Just saying that if you're building something based off the core of an already existing circuit, you aren't re-inventing the wheel. I'm ok with that cause, like I said, they don't all sound the same. Plenty of different tastes to appeal to and plenty of money to be made doing so.

As far as the SD hype ... "The Palladium Gain Stage effects pedal is the first stompbox that actually captures the feel and responsiveness of a high gain tube amp." Yeah, that's a bit out there but that claim sounds awfully familiar so I doubt they are the first to make it. And SD isn't the only company marketing their pedals with grandiosity and vigor. There is plenty of hype from many of the manufacturers. It's the nature of the beast.

Comment

I found another use for the Killing Floor. I have a stock DS-1 laying around and I hate it. It has a crap bypass and it's harsh. The only reason it hasn't gone anywhere is because shipping costs more than it could sell for, and I thought I might have it modded one day. So just for kicks, I put the Killing Floor on high cut after the DS-1 and there I was enjoying some cool drive sounds. I'm not a pedal stacker, never cared for it, but anything that can make what comes out of the DS-1 sound better gets a + in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
                      Every pedal out their these days seems to be a tweak or a take on something that is already available. Some extra controls get added. Maybe a gain stage gets added. Or clipping diodes get changed. Or, some tweak to the circuit that shifts the frequency response. Or, someone does something kind of cool like adding a delay to an OD (like the Mad Professor Golden Cello). Not saying, for example, that all TS based pedals sound the same. Just saying that if you're building something based off the core of an already existing circuit, you aren't re-inventing the wheel. I'm ok with that cause, like I said, they don't all sound the same. Plenty of different tastes to appeal to and plenty of money to be made doing so.

As far as the SD hype ... "The Palladium Gain Stage effects pedal is the first stompbox that actually captures the feel and responsiveness of a high gain tube amp." Yeah, that's a bit out there but that claim sounds awfully familiar so I doubt they are the first to make it. And SD isn't the only company marketing their pedals with grandiosity and vigor. There is plenty of hype from many of the manufacturers. It's the nature of the beast.
                      Every guitar too. The PRS Singlecuts I love are a take on the Les Paul...only simpler. Guitarists might be artists and artists tend to be forward thinking bohemian types. (tend to be... ) But most of us are chasing the tones of our heroes...past and present.

For me, it would be B.B. King, 60’s Clapton and Hendrix, and Jeff Beck (past and present).

I saw that in the 1960’s too, with my jazzer friends and guitar teachers who wanted to sound like whoever their heroes were and own the same gear Wes Montgomery or Howard Roberts used.

We’re a conservative bunch somewhat locked in the past when it comes to what we want to own.

Few of us are groundbreakers...most of us are followers.
                      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                        We’re a conservative bunch somewhat locked in the past when it comes to what we want to own.

Few of us are groundbreakers...most of us are followers.
                        I hear myself say things like, "I don't care if it's an authentic vintage tone, as long as it's a good tone," but 95% of the time, my definition of a good tone is based on something old, probably by one of the guys you mentioned.
                        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                        X