Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a good, loud amp on a tight budget

Hey guys, I need a bit of help.
    For Christmas I got abut $300 in Amazon gift cards and I desperately want to ditch my ****ty Marshall MG30FX. Due to it being in Amazon money, I kind of am restricted to buying new unfortunately...

I play punk/alt/hard/blues rock in a band with just a drummer for now. He's a fairly loud drummer. I need suggestions for a cheap, powerful amp. I do enjoy using pedals for distortion/overdrive, but I am interested in getting a nice tone out of my amp. I don't care much for metal. My favorite guitarists are Kurt Cobain, Billy Corgan, Mike Ness, Jack White, Patrick Stump, and Billie Joe Armstrong.

I've actually made a spreadsheet of amps I've been considering for y'all to check out.

I am very interested in the Micro Terror/Dark. It seems like a great option for me. Unfortunately, I need a cab that's loud and does the sound of this little guy some justice, while still keeping in my budget. Any suggestions?

Thank you!
    Last edited by jdbowma; 12-27-2017, 03:34 PM.

Re: Need a good, loud amp on a tight budget

Out of those, probably the Katana. People have been freaking out about how great it is. Some even going so far as selling off their vintage tube amp collection because of it.
    1988 Fender MIJ ST54 Hardtail Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
    2005 Edwards E-JR-100LTD/DC w/Gibson P90
    2012 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Mahogany Satin
    2015 Fender Road Worn '50s Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
    2018 Gibson Limited Edition Les Paul Junior
    -------
    1979 Marshall JMP 2204
    1997 Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
    2021 Epic Amplification AR50
    2022 Mojotone British 800 2204​

Comment

Originally posted by cliffenstein View Post
      Out of those, probably the Katana. People have been freaking out about how great it is. Some even going so far as selling off their vintage tube amp collection because of it.
      Yeah, that's what I've heard. They seem fantastic, but I'm still considering some other options. I think if I were to go with a SS combo it'd be the Katana.

Comment

I'm still open to suggestions!

Comment

Roland Cube series? That is if you are looking for a combo. Don't know what they might have on Amazon though. Don't forget about Jet City.

Comment

Add to your list the Vox MV50 series. I have a "Rock" model, voiced like a Marshall and it sounds great. They have 50-watt solid-state output stages, twice as powerful as the Orange Micro amps. The preamp uses Vox's "NuTube" technology, sort of a tube the size of an integrated circuit. The front end reacts to picking dynmaics and guitar-volume adjustments the same way a full-on tube amp does. It's a lot more natural than modeling amps.

Buy an MV50 and get a nice, efficient Eminence 12" speaker off Amazon, then build yourself a cabinet or find an empty one on CL. An MV50 with a 100 dB Emi makes a hell of a racket, but it will also play at bedroom volumes. Unlike "real" tube amps, the Class D SS output stages retain most of their mojo, regardless of where the master volume is set.
            Last edited by Rich_S; 12-28-2017, 09:06 AM.
            Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
            Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
              Add to your list the Vox MV50 series. I have a "Rock" model, voiced like a Marshall and it sounds great. They have 50-watt solid-state output stages, twice as powerful as the Orange Micro amps. The preamp uses Vox's "NuTube" technology, sort a tube the size of an integrated circuit. The front end reacts to picking dynmaics and guitar-volume adjustments the same way a full-on tube amp does. It's a lot more natural than modeling amps.

Buy an MV50 and get a nice, efficient Eminence 12" speaker off Amazon, then build yourself a cabinet or find an empty one on CL. An MV50 with a 100 dB Emi makes a hell of a racket, but it will also play at bedroom volumes. Unlike "real" tube amps, the Class D SS output stages retain most of their mojo, regardless of where the master volume is set.

Do you have any specific speaker you'd recommend? The Beta 12" and 15" speakers are quite cheap, I'm just not sure. The 15" is actually cheaper... Also, somewhere where I could get a good tutorial or idea of how I could build my own cab, or where I could find a nice empty one?

Comment

Check out a website called "Greg's Pro Audio". They sell both loaded and empty cabs. I would actually suggest a 2x12 convertible cab. Then you could take the back off and it would sound bright and full at low volume. If you wanted to run it loud, put the back on and it will still be tight.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

There's a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe on Amazon $299. That would be my choice. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSnMettle View Post
                    There's a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe on Amazon $299. That would be my choice. Good luck
                    I can't seem to find such a thing. Care to provide a link? Thanks

Comment

Oops... my bad. It's only the cabinet. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSnMettle View Post
                        Oops... my bad. It's only the cabinet. Sorry.
                        No problem dude, thanks for trying to help!

Comment

Jet City.
                          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Orange crush series, the 35rt is about that price. Boss katanas are good too. Jet city makes some good amps, but tube requires more upkeep and attention than solid state. Highly recommend orange 35rt
                            "My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost" -Anonymous

Main Gear:
                            Orange Rockerverb MKIII 50w
                            Orange ppc212 open back cabinet
                            Jackson dx10d
                            DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
                            MXR Carbon Copy
                            MXR Phase 90 (EVH Version)

Comment

Micro terror is a beast, micro dark is insane. If you can find a good cab to compliment those, you would be set
                              "My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost" -Anonymous

Main Gear:
                              Orange Rockerverb MKIII 50w
                              Orange ppc212 open back cabinet
                              Jackson dx10d
                              DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
                              MXR Carbon Copy
                              MXR Phase 90 (EVH Version)

Comment

Working...
                              X