Mesa Rectoverb 50 Combo Troubles/Loves/Questions/Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Rectoverb 50 Combo Troubles/Loves/Questions/Help

I have done a few searches to my questions, but can't seem to find everything I need so I am hoping a new thread with my thoughts could get me some help.

I have a Rectoverb 50 combo (I am not sure what series) that I picked up somewhere around 2001/02. This amp had fit my style for a long time playing in bands that I needed a modern distortion sound (whatever that means). It has intermittently sat around on and off for a while as I have been on the acoustic kick for a long time. Now I am back to fooling around with it and the things that I disliked about it are all still there. All these things came back to me as the other day, I was switching back and forth between reverb on/off and it stopped working. Now I have a ton of questions:

1. The reverb stopped working. The amp wasn't moved or anything, just playing and stopped working. I checked the cable from the tank and that seems fine, wasn't loose or anything. I am not sure if this is foot switch issue, the other buttons do work and I did replace it a while ago. Is there anyway to get the reverb on without the foot switch? Is this a tube issue?

2. The effects loop. This is a big one. I can't use any color pedals in front of the amp but one, a Phase 90. Anything else needs to go in the loop. The only thing with the loop is I get that "blanket thrown over the amp" feel. Does not matter where the mix knob sits. All effects work in the front of the amp on the clean channel, obviously, but the distortion covers everything up on the dirty channel. Really any amount of gain kills the effects (chorus, flange, delay, trem)

3. The gain knob. I run the amp on the vintage channel. The gain knob is either on or off. It's on at 2 o'clock. Before that, it's muddy and un-usable. After that, I think it stays the same. Anything below on, the notes are just harsh sounding with no sustain. I also feel that some of the other controls are also on or off. I can't seem to find the sweet spot as people say.

So with all the things I am questioning, I should say that my ear is changing. I no longer want (all the time) a high gain distortion. I am leaning more towards a creamy, smoother, bluesy "jamming on the neck pick up" sound. The amp just isn't giving me that. (and can I even get that with this amp??) I feel the amp is high-gain or not useful. I had re-tubed it years ago with JJ6L6's and 12AX7's. It may be time for another re-tube? Is there a tube recipe that would get me closer to that sound but still let me roll the gain up and get that great rock sound when I want it? Are there better preamp tubes for the effects loop? Are there better pre amp tubes for a sound I described above?

Thanks! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Mesa Rectoverb 50 Combo Troubles/Loves/Questions/Help

Originally posted by gibsygoldtop View Post
    1. The reverb stopped working. The amp wasn't moved or anything, just playing and stopped working. I checked the cable from the tank and that seems fine, wasn't loose or anything. I am not sure if this is foot switch issue, the other buttons do work and I did replace it a while ago. Is there anyway to get the reverb on without the foot switch? Is this a tube issue?
    Check the tube that's in the reverb driver position. The manual will show which one it is, and if you don't have the manual anymore you can download it off Mesa's website.

2. The effects loop. This is a big one. I can't use any color pedals in front of the amp but one, a Phase 90. Anything else needs to go in the loop. The only thing with the loop is I get that "blanket thrown over the amp" feel. Does not matter where the mix knob sits. All effects work in the front of the amp on the clean channel, obviously, but the distortion covers everything up on the dirty channel. Really any amount of gain kills the effects (chorus, flange, delay, trem)
    Rectifiers sound best when the effects loop is bypassed. Long cables to/from your pedalboard will make it sound worse, as will any pedal that's are designed to be used in front of an amp and not in the effects loop. In general, you'll get your best results with rack effects attached with short cables.

That said... Rectifiers sound best when the effects loop is bypassed.

3. The gain knob. I run the amp on the vintage channel. The gain knob is either on or off. It's on at 2 o'clock. Before that, it's muddy and un-usable. After that, I think it stays the same. Anything below on, the notes are just harsh sounding with no sustain. I also feel that some of the other controls are also on or off. I can't seem to find the sweet spot as people say.
    When's the last time the power tubes were changed?

So with all the things I am questioning, I should say that my ear is changing.
    I've bought a lot of amps over the years for cheap because people though their ear had changed when the reality was their power tubes were shot.

I no longer want (all the time) a high gain distortion. I am leaning more towards a creamy, smoother, bluesy "jamming on the neck pick up" sound. The amp just isn't giving me that. (and can I even get that with this amp??) I feel the amp is high-gain or not useful. I had re-tubed it years ago with JJ6L6's and 12AX7's. It may be time for another re-tube? Is there a tube recipe that would get me closer to that sound but still let me roll the gain up and get that great rock sound when I want it? Are there better preamp tubes for the effects loop? Are there better pre amp tubes for a sound I described above?
    1) You're never going to get creamy out of a Rectifier. Raw mode is good for classic rock since it's roughly a Mesa flavoured Plexi, but I'm pretty sure a series 1 Rectoverb lacks that feature.

2) JJs preamp tubes are dull and in a Rectifier they produce a "blanket over the cab" effect. You'll get better results with something brighter, like an EHX or Tung-Sol in the V1 position.

Honestly, if you've progressed away from high gain sounds I think f*cking around with new tubes will be a waste of money and that you'd be better off selling/trading it for something more up your alley.

That said, I'd fix the reverb if possible since that'll drop the value of your amp if you choose to sell it.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I've found with the recto parallel loops that you need to get the channel's volume up to that 10:00 area and also run the effects 100% wet.
      Some pedals have a kill-dry option, but if it doesn't turn it's level max and then adjust to taste with the amp's mix knob.

I also like the Tung-Sol in V1 position with mesa rectifiers.

Comment

Thanks for this info! Some follow ups:

I am not sure what tube is in the reverb driver position. I have the manual, put it only shows the tubes in the head version, not the combo. In the task chart it doesn't mention anything about reverb. There is also a label inside the amp, but it just shows what the tubes are, not their functions.

Is V1 position closest to the input jack?

Last night I was messing around a little more. I pulled the back of the amp off and took the covers off the preamp tubes. If one was bad would it be lit?

Also, now when I step on the reverb button, the amp gets distorted and gain-y.

Tubes were changed years ago. Probably something to the tune of 10 years.

Could you explain bypassing the effects loop in more detail? Is this with a pedal to take them out of the signal chain to the amp? Thanks again!!

Comment

Originally posted by gibsygoldtop View Post
          I am not sure what tube is in the reverb driver position. I have the manual, put it only shows the tubes in the head version, not the combo. In the task chart it doesn't mention anything about reverb. There is also a label inside the amp, but it just shows what the tubes are, not their functions.
          Does your amp have an extra tube that's not shown in the manual? If it does, it's most likely the reverb driver.

That said, I had a look at the manual and I didn't see it mentioned if ROVs have a tube driven reverb or not.... so the tube may not be present.

Is V1 position closest to the input jack?
          Yes.

Last night I was messing around a little more. I pulled the back of the amp off and took the covers off the preamp tubes. If one was bad would it be lit?
          Not necessarily. Different brands/models of tube produce different brightness, and it often varies within the same brand/model... depends on how much of the heater is obscured from view.

Also, now when I step on the reverb button, the amp gets distorted and gain-y.
          No idea. I've never experienced this fault before and recommend calling Mesa for an answer.

Tubes were changed years ago. Probably something to the tune of 10 years.
          Could also be corrosion. Might be worth pulling tubes and reseating them in their sockets to help improve the connection.

Could you explain bypassing the effects loop in more detail? Is this with a pedal to take them out of the signal chain to the amp? Thanks again!!
          Sorry. I don't have a lot of experience with Single Rectifiers. On the Dual they have a knob on the back that allows you to hard bypass the effects loop, and they (IMO) always sound better with the loop hard bypassed, even though it means you can't use the effects loop.

Looking at the manual I don't see an option to hard bypass the effects loop on the Rectoverb. It may happen automatically by not plugging anything into the loop.
          || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

The rectoverbs do have a 6th preamp tube I believe, but I'd have to look at a manual also to know which is reverb driver.
            Maybe it's something in the tank itself.

No bypass on the loop.
            If no pedals in loop I would run a short (3ft or less) jumper cable to get back the 10% that the parallel loop dumps..

Comment

Working...
            X