banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just caught a new Jet City JCA22C at $264!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just caught a new Jet City JCA22C at $264!

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
    Off topic just a hair, but thought I'd mention the JC 212 cabs (even the vertical) are on big discounts at MF.
    They're in the $200 area after discounts.

I know they are Emi-loaded, but I've read they're close to the p50e that Fryette uses,,,,,,,though I might well be wrong on that (?).
    Always had several cabs so never run a JC cab but hear good things about them so--.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

My new Custom 22 finally got here today..so far loving it,I did take out the factory Shuguang el84's and put in a matched set of JJ's and preamp tubes stock for now,I did also while back cover off use my 9 pin bias probes to check ube bias milli amps just to see what they run at in this amp..I got 26.1 and 26.5 milli amps so pretty good set of matched tubesI like the Low Fat/Mid Boost switch,so far liking the Low Fat setting using my EVH 2-12" with the stock 70th Anniversary Celestions in it..one thing I have noticed is a pretty loud pop when switching on my reverb pedal,anyone else have that happening to theres ? Originally I was going to get the 22H and do some mods to it but this Custom 22 to me needs no mods to get it where I need it on the chnl 2 high gain setting,I do like the amp and very happy with it right now,my EHX Holy Grail neo reverb pedal sounds perfect in the loop and as said above the amps sings right along..about to hook up my Partcaster on the crunch setting with gain dialed down to see what and if I can get a nice bluesy tone,if not I always prefer high gain ! Nice sounding amps and the quality has gotten better IMO than my 20 watt combo 5-6 years ago..I might even make this a combo amp,I can't find one I like and this would be an easy starting point ! Be back after swapping preamp tubes,and also I did communicate with Doug and these guys have it together,emailed me schematics in about 5 minutes ! Happy Happy I bought this amp !

Comment

I might have to try one of these. Is this the same head? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jet-City...ead.gc#reviews
        Originally posted by Frankly
        PoorMan knows what everyone deserves. Everyone knows that.
        Originally posted by Diocletian
        Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

Comment

Glad you got yours today man.
          On the POP not had that issue in the loop at all with mine sounds to me like it's something to do with that pedal. Now mine does have a very pronounced POP when using the footswitch to change channels at low volume though.
          How is yours noise wise on the OD side? Mine is pretty noisy at anything over 3 or so on gain with the stock tubes.
          The amp likes lower gain pickups a lot and works REALLY well with single coils. My Tele an Strat with true singles both sound fantastic on the OD high gain side. The Crunch side with the gain up around 5.5 or so is giving me some GREAT vintage Marshall style edgie expressive crunch tones that clean up really well with touch and a little volume roll off. Overall REALLY liking this amp so far and see it gettin gigged out a LOT! I am getting my best tones out of this one with the Blackstar 1/12 and WGS Retro 30.
          Last edited by Ascension; 01-10-2018, 09:25 PM.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by PoorMan View Post
            I might have to try one of these. Is this the same head? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jet-City...ead.gc#reviews
            Yep that's the one!
            Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by PoorMan View Post
              Yes that is the same one,the Custom 22 with the 3 small switches underneath the control knobs..keep checking MF because they always are changing the prices,after these went off sale they went back to I believe $450 somewhere around that price and now I see back down so check lots during the day if you can.
              Last edited by moshpit817; 01-11-2018, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                Glad you got yours today man.
                On the POP not had that issue in the loop at all with mine sounds to me like it's something to do with that pedal. Now mine does have a very pronounced POP when using the footswitch to change channels at low volume though.
                How is yours noise wise on the OD side? Mine is pretty noisy at anything over 3 or so on gain with the stock tubes.
                The amp likes lower gain pickups a lot and works REALLY well with single coils. My Tele an Strat with true singles both sound fantastic on the OD high gain side. The Crunch side with the gain up around 5.5 or so is giving me some GREAT vintage Marshall style edgie expressive crunch tones that clean up really well with touch and a little volume roll off. Overall REALLY liking this amp so far and see it gettin gigged out a LOT! I am getting my best tones out of this one with the Blackstar 1/12 and WGS Retro 30.
                I went ahead and pulled the chassis out this morning so I could get to all the tubes and noticed 2 small places where the tolex was just hanging there on the inner cabinet,not bad and have seen this before on other amps plenty of times and glued it back down,looks great..now to the Volume tests with stock tubes and the 2 matched JJ's el84's..on the stock tubes with the amp on close to halfway up/ in between the 4 & 5 the amp was pushing my 2-12" cabinet hard,my amp is very quiet,just barely any feedback when stopped playing and it was controlled,I had already ruined my ears with the JJ's so the Shuguang power tubes held there own but just got kind of brittle,now with the JJ's at the same 4-5 volume the amp has infinite sustain and the bass,mid & treble & presence knobs were very sensitive in a good way,small changes made especially with the treble & presence made a big difference,amp has lots of bite and grind and with the fat/mid switch down on the FAT setting massive bottom end,the chugging was tight and defined,I know the Celestion 70th Anny speakers have excellent low end and high end capabilities in my 2-12" and nice mids as well..I did change out V1-V3 with 2 Tungsol re-issue 12ax7's and 1 EHX 12ax7 and cranked it up and way too much high end that had the treble and presence down to about 3 and was still edgey,so I was running out of time for any higher volume testing so back with all the stock Shuguang 12ax7B tubes I have bought the 12ax7B tubes as 9th Gen high gain tubes from several sellers and they have worked pretty good for me so far in several other amps..I will do more preamp tube swaps as the days come and go,but my amp has very low noise,almost too low ! Happy still with the amp,a solid backup for sure for now..I didn't run any effects in the loop for this testing or check out the stock footswitch yet either,that will be next..
                Last edited by moshpit817; 01-11-2018, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the update on yours man. Lets me know I need to look at mine because of the noise issue on the OD side in particular. My amp is definitely on the dark side with the stock tubes but is REALLY punchy and smooth. If I can get the noise floor down this amp will be a real winner. It's still very usable but where I would be using it I REALLY need it to be quiet as it will be miked.
                  I am running a set of the Mullard reissue EL84's right now in the Zinky and one of my Mesa Rockets and REALLY like the way those respond so will throw a set of those in he 22 Custom just to see what the do. I also have TAD, JJ and Sovetec EL 84's on hand to head to head with the stock Shunghangs and the Mullards + a bias probe so will get back to you guys on what I go with in the end once I get it tweaked in.
                  Keep the updates coming bro and I will do the same. Wonder do we need to throw up a new thread on these as we work through dialing them in?
                  Last edited by Ascension; 01-11-2018, 12:25 PM.
                  Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                    Thanks for the update on yours man. Lets me know I need to look at mine because of the noise issue on the OD side in particular. My amp is definitely on the dark side with the stock tubes but is REALLY punchy and smooth. If I can get the noise floor down this amp will be a real winner. It's still very usable but where I would be using it I REALLY need it to be quiet as it will be miked.
                    I am running a set of the Mullard reissue EL84's right now in the Zinky and one of my Mesa Rockets and REALLY like the way those respond so will throw a set of those in he 22 Custom just to see what the do. I also have TAD, JJ and Sovetec EL 84's on hand to head to head with the stock Shunghangs and the Mullards + a bias probe so will get back to you guys on what I go with in the end once I get it tweaked in.
                    Keep the updates coming bro and I will do the same. Wonder do we need to throw up a new thread on these as we work through dialing them in?
                    Probably will need a new thread,I am not real good at descriptions but I try ! HAHA ! I saw a few people say the Mullards work well in these amps so I am interested in those for sure .really all of the tubes you listed..I did make a mistake on my earlier post about the JJ's milli amp rating with the 2 bias probes in yesterday,should be more like 24.68 milli amps and other tube 24.23 milli amps..I had made a video with my phone and looked at it last night after posting the other values. also my plate voltage was 377 volts so the tube bias is close enough..Doug did message me and said he doesn't recommend changing the bias,power tube swaps are just pull out and replace w/no biasing..sounds good to me !

Comment

Have a bunch of pre amp tubes also to swap in and out. SoveTecs a couple real, Mullards, Tung Sol RI , EH's , JJ's and a few old USA production Baldwins I can think of . Hopefully will get time to do some tube swaps on tomorrow.
                      Guitars

Comment

One thing I did notice is there isn't a fuse in the rear panel so I would think on the PC board somewhere,or multiple fuses like my other amp has..has anybody here looked at the fuses on a Custom 22 and can let us know what the value (s) are ? The rear panel has T3.15AL 250volts..I have looked online and that looks like a slow burn fuse,probably glass ? Also not sure if it's 5mm×20 mm or 6mm×30mm ? I will call or message Doug tomorrow to find out and put the info here for others if needed.I have never had a fuse blow out any amp I have owned but I really like to have extras on hand just in case instead of waiting around..no stores around here where I live have glass fuses..also if Ceramic or clear glass and or fast or slow burn ? More preamp tube rolling results tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by moshpit817 View Post
                          One thing I did notice is there isn't a fuse in the rear panel so I would think on the PC board somewhere,or multiple fuses like my other amp has..has anybody here looked at the fuses on a Custom 22 and can let us know what the value (s) are ? The rear panel has T3.15AL 250volts..I have looked online and that looks like a slow burn fuse,probably glass ? Also not sure if it's 5mm×20 mm or 6mm×30mm ? I will call or message Doug tomorrow to find out and put the info here for others if needed.I have never had a fuse blow out any amp I have owned but I really like to have extras on hand just in case instead of waiting around..no stores around here where I live have glass fuses..also if Ceramic or clear glass and or fast or slow burn ? More preamp tube rolling results tomorrow.
                          Looks like the fuse is in the bottom of the line input assembly where your power chord plugs into the amp on the rear. 3.15A 250 volt glass fuse according to schematics to be exact in the black plastic enclosure directly under where the power cable plugs in..
                          Last edited by Ascension; 01-12-2018, 01:38 AM.
                          Guitars

Comment

Working...
                          X