banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speaker Suggestions for Peavey VK 112 (v1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker Suggestions for Peavey VK 112 (v1)

Hey all!

I know this question has been asked and I have done a fair bit of research on the web. I wanted to ask this here because I trust the experience on this forum. I will say that I do like this amp and I have really worked with it and explored all I can in it's stock form. I think I would like to try a new speaker and I'm looking for a push in the right direction. I play classic rock and blues, only use the amp clean and use pedals for dirt, trem and verb. The dirt is set to unity of the amp, as I like a usable clean sound sometimes without any pedals.

To solve some of the icepick on the bridge, I turn the amp about 75% up and use the guitars volumes at about 7-8. I find this makes the bridge pickup sound the way I like, but it does make the neck PU sound a bit muddy... or muddier than I like. If I set the treble eq on the amp to anything more than noon, I find the bridge sounds to strident. Mids are at about 11:00 and bass is like at 8:00. I use the amp on the bright switch as the dark makes the neck way too boomy.

Basically, I'm looking for a sound that gives me a tighter and brighter sound on the neck PU, with highs that are clear and bright, but don't get into ice pick territory on the bridge (les paul with open SD Seth lovers).

I'm guessing some of you may advise tube changes as well... bring it on! (I don't live with the amp at the moment and am not sure what's currently in there), but I have been told that a new speaker can make a pretty big difference in this amp.

Any real world experience with a new speaker in this amp? Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post!
    Last edited by baylin95; 01-03-2018, 01:25 PM.

Re: Speaker Suggestions for Peavey VK 112 (v1)

I don’t have experience with the amp but a speaker that is American voice and tames icepick IME is the cannabis Rex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion...

I have heard of this speaker. Because of the nature of the Rex, do you think that, in taming the highs, it might also make the lows bassier, or, might it allow me to raise the treble eq and still have smooth highs AND help the lows out?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by baylin95 View Post
        Thanks for the suggestion...

I have heard of this speaker. Because of the nature of the Rex, do you think that, in taming the highs, it might also make the lows bassier, or, might it allow me to raise the treble eq and still have smooth highs AND help the lows out?

Thanks!
        That would be my guess but I don’t know your amp. It’s not that it reduces all the highs just the frequencies that are harsh/icepicky because of the hemp cone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

hi baylin95,
          If you like your amp I suggest that you go all in and buy a Celestion Cream or Celestion Gold. Alnico speakers are awesome at every aspect of sound ...great chimey cleans, killer overdrive grind with perfect string definition. Celestion blue alnico 12s were the basis of George Harrison and John Lennon's tone...Your amp has 50 watts so you need a high powered alnico speaker, thus limited to high end Celestions.

For less money you could get an Eminence Swamp Thang and add bass response as well as kill icepick.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

I have the head version of that amp. I think it gets a bad rap because of the stock speaker/speaker cab. I had a Cannabis Rex in a 2X12 tweed Bassman clone along with a G12H30 and that speaker sounded fantastic. I played a lot of really hard rock and metal with that amp. My VK100 sounds ungodly with my Marshall 2X12 loaded with T75s, but OLD T75s before they got scooped. Really tight and powerful without being ice picky. It also sounds fantastic with V30s. I can't answer for the Cream or Gold or blue alnicos, but I cannot envision any way you'd get a bad tone from those beauties.
            My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
            or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
            http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
            700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Working...
            X