Orange 50th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange 50th

Happy 50th birthday Orange!!!! I am sure they are going to do a limited run of an amp, I hope they do a rockerverb or tiny terror ltd. edition. A limited edition speaker would be rad also!

Link to blog post: https://orangeamps.com/articles/voic...-for-50-years/
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost" -Anonymous

Main Gear:
    Orange Rockerverb MKIII 50w
    Orange ppc212 open back cabinet
    Jackson dx10d
    DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
    MXR Carbon Copy
    MXR Phase 90 (EVH Version)

Re: Orange 50th

That would be cool. I still want an orange 2x12 in black.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe they'll make an OR that's an actual OR.
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I think we're looking for this:

Comment

Orange for me.
          If learning isn't difficult at times you're not learning.

RocknRoll will never die ( I wont let it! )

Comment

I’d love Orange, Green, White, Black... all badass in the doom, sludge, stoner realm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
              Maybe they'll make an OR that's an actual OR.
              What a concept!

Something like THIS for instance?

Click image for larger version

Name:	orangegraphic120.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	5804780

"For old fashioned blues and rock, something about heavy tubes, heavy transformers, heavy speakers and heavy cabinets just works." PFDarkside

Comment

The bass, treble and volume controls are pretty obvious. (the first small knob, the second small knob and last big knob from left to right, respectively).
                The "resistor" and "punch" are not at all obvious. The Matamp pictured above suggests that they might be "drive" and "presence".
                In the context of this era that's not a lot more explanatory than the symbols. I don't think "drive" on this amp was doing the same thing that one thinks of in a typical Master Volume / Drive setup, but I could be wrong.
                Anyone know?

Maybe re-introduce the 24x12 cab?
                Go against the "shoe-box" amp trend.

Name:	orange 24x12.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	5804781

"For old fashioned blues and rock, something about heavy tubes, heavy transformers, heavy speakers and heavy cabinets just works." PFDarkside

Comment

Name:	orange-graphic.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	5804782
                  Here's a little clearer picture. The site I found it on also has some description, which I'm not smart enough to understand, but probably answers my question above - what do the knobs do?

Here's the text:
                  "Circa 1972 Orange amps are referred to as ""Pics Only"" as they feature only the hieroglyphs and no text on the controls. These amps had the Baxandall EQ first in the circuitry, then Gain, then the phase inverter. Adds Adrian Emsley, ""What's more, the DC-coupled 'concertina' phase inverter used in the first Orange amps was changed to a capacitor-coupled version in the 'Pics Only' models."" This capacitor-coupled type of phase inverter drives the output valves harder, and this creates a more overdriven and crunchy sound. In this way, the Pics Only was the start of the new sound that everybody associates with Orange."

These were the amps that excited me in 1976 when I moved to Boston at age 17 and started going out to clubs.
                  From memory I believe these were available in 80 and 120 watt versions. Anyone know more?
                  I stayed in Boston until 1981, by then they were available on the used market, but still out of my price range.

I believe these are more commonly referred to as the "Graphics" models than "Pics Only" these days, perhaps even by Orange themselves.

The "mountains" graphic over the two input jacks on the right are the send and receive for the outboard echo unit, which Orange also made.
                  Last edited by dr0; 01-08-2018, 03:26 PM.

Comment

From left to right:
                    FAC knob: Adds more gain and lowend the further to the left you turn it.
                    Baxandall Bass knob
                    Baxandall Treble knob
                    HF Drive: basically Presence
                    Gain: Volume.

Overdrive models had a master volume after the gain knob
                    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I remember an interview with Tony Iommi saying that he hated Orange amps. I haven't tried the newer ones, although I have tried vintage ones. I didn't like them, either.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think Orange is kind of a like it or hate it amp. Their sound is really different, and it can be good or bad. I almost think of them as the black sheep of the British amp family. When people think hard rock and 80's, they think Marshall. But Orange is the name in those underground, less heard off sludge, grunge, stoner, and doom metal bands. Some famous names have played orange though... *cough* *cough* Jimmy Page
                        "My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost" -Anonymous

Main Gear:
                        Orange Rockerverb MKIII 50w
                        Orange ppc212 open back cabinet
                        Jackson dx10d
                        DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
                        MXR Carbon Copy
                        MXR Phase 90 (EVH Version)

Comment

"Circa 1972 Orange amps are referred to as ""Pics Only"" as they feature only the hieroglyphs and no text on the controls. These amps had the Baxandall EQ first in the circuitry, then Gain, then the phase inverter. Adds Adrian Emsley, ""What's more, the DC-coupled 'concertina' phase inverter used in the first Orange amps was changed to a capacitor-coupled version in the 'Pics Only' models."" This capacitor-coupled type of phase inverter drives the output valves harder, and this creates a more overdriven and crunchy sound. In this way, the Pics Only was the start of the new sound that everybody associates with Orange."
                          Vintage Oranges have little in common with their modern designs on the technical level. There were only 1 1/2 preamp tubes. The phase inverter was one of the 12AX7 triodes of the 2nd preamp tube, one side off the plate and the other side off the cathode. When the Orange music store wanted to get a proprietary amp they had Matamps design it. But the original Matamp Orange design was too clean; it would not distort much at all. So the original preamp design was altered to provide more distortion, hence the unique tone of those amps.

I believe that back in the day Jimmy Page mostly used the Orange to amplify the Theremin (sp?), while the Marshalls were for the guitar. I think it would be cool for them to do vintage reissue type of an OR.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            I remember an interview with Tony Iommi saying that he hated Orange amps. I haven't tried the newer ones, although I have tried vintage ones. I didn't like them, either.
                            Paranoid music video has Oranges on the background. I wonder why if he hated them.

Or is it a bass amp?
                            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Right, and that video probably revived the brand.

However, it was the show itself that had a deal with Orange, not the band (and certainly not the guitarist). So every artist on the show had to use them, and every band complained about them. Tony used Laneys on stage at that time (and now).
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X