banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is your favorite Fender 1x12 tube combo amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is your favorite Fender 1x12 tube combo amp?

I was looking at a large online music retailers site and using their nice "filter" tools I was able to sort out only the Fender tube amps in the popular 1x12 format.
    I say popular because their are 15 distinct models with this basic configuration.
    And of course, this is just one web site, and only what is available currently from Fender. When you add the back catalog, including special editons, and common mods which turn other Fender amps (like 1x10 and 2x10 combos) into this format, well there are a lot. The Fender Twin Reverb might be Fender's all time biggest selling tube amp, but I put the 1x12 combos outsell the big twins by a good margin.
    Roughly, here is what i see:

12 watt
    '57 Custom Deluxe (tweed, handwired, $2000)
    Edge Deluxe (similar to above, Edge signature, $2300)

15 watt
    Blues Junior III (tweed)
    Blues Junior III
    Bassbreaker 15 (the new tube amp family)
    Princeton (tweed, Sweetwater exclusive, Cannibus Rex 12")

20 watt
    '64 Custom Deluxe (hand-wired special, $2500)

22 watt
    Deluxe Reverb (black)
    Deluxe Reverb (limited edition 'wine red')
    '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb (silverface look alike, 2 channel: 1 vintage, 1 custom "Bassman")
    SuperSonic 22 (two channels: 'vintage' and 'burn')
    SuperSonic 22 (same as above, only blonde)

40 watt
    Blues Deluxe (tweed)
    Hot Rod Deluxe III (black, mutli-channel)
    George Benson Hot Rod Deluxe

Most of these amps are between $700 and $1200, I've called out the three above $2000. The price leaders are th Blues Junior III at $529 ($599 in Tweed).
    Expensive little buggers. Luckily there are a zillion amps that fit this general category out there used.

My only 1x12 Combo is an old Ampeg. It's nice, it's surprisingly loud but I did use it to audition for second guitar spot in a punk/hard-rock outfit that had just moved to Portland from the midwest. They practiced in a storage unit and the other guitar player had a 1/2 stack, and it was too small. I didn't get the gig.

I don't have a favorite among these many amps, that while superficially are very similar have a 5X price spread.

Which is your favorite (or other not listed). Why?

HAVE AT IT! ENJOY!!

"For old fashioned blues and rock, something about heavy tubes, heavy transformers, heavy speakers and heavy cabinets just works." PFDarkside

Re: Which is your favorite Fender 1x12 tube combo amp?

They are a bit different, I would say, all time favorite: Tweed Deluxe. I have a Marsh clone right now as my main amp with a cannabis rex.

Incredible amp, I play blue note Jazz or gritty blown up od tone and it’s best in class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I use Fender Amps, currently have a Blues Deluxe (early 90s model, Texas Heat speaker, Fromel Supreme Mod) and absolutely love it.

I've had the Blues Jr., Hot Rod Deluxe and Bassbreaker (all 1x12 combos.)

The Bassbreaker would be a great one for Punk/Hard-Rock if you don't get your gain from pedals.

The Hot Rod Deluxe/Blues Deluxe would be a great clean base to use live--I've used them live with pedals for various tones, especially drive.

The Blues Jr. is a nice sounding amp, I prefer it with the Cannabis-Rex speaker. Can get loud, but I much prefer the above 3.

Comment

Deluxe Reverb cranked with a Muff.
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Not in production anymore, and 10inch speaker in the combo. I like the Prosonic.
          The Bassbreaker is pretty good.

Comment

Blues Deluxe Reissue

Comment

I don't know. I use Peavey amps

The Delta Blues 115 is my favorite, though I do think that the Fender '65 Twin Custom 15 is interesting. I never have had the opportunity to play one though.

Comment

If I was to pick one...the deluxe reverb in wine red. I had the pro reverb 1x12 combo. I read nothing but good reviews on the deluxe reverb. It's also st a wattage where you can pick a variety of different speakers to swap in if you don't like the stock Jensen.

Comment

Originally posted by rbc View Post
                  I don't know. I use Peavey amps

The Delta Blues 115 is my favorite, though I do think that the Fender '65 Twin Custom 15 is interesting. I never have had the opportunity to play one though.
                  A 1x15 peavey is your favorite 1x12 Fender ? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post
                    If I was to pick one...the deluxe reverb in wine red. I had the pro reverb 1x12 combo. I read nothing but good reviews on the deluxe reverb. It's also st a wattage where you can pick a variety of different speakers to swap in if you don't like the stock Jensen.
                    Yes, it seems to be a lot of people's favorite, not just on my little survey post, but on other threads I've read here. I have seen some people say that the Princeton is a little sweeter. We may not be getting the Princeton crowd because technically it's not really a 1x12, it's usually a 1x10.

I started thinking about this a while ago when I read this thread at another forum:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...erence.446494/

... which seems to be full of Princeton lovers. But the Deluxe seems to overall have more people jazzed about it. Interesting that no one has picked any of the two-channel amps over the similar single-channel ones.

"For old fashioned blues and rock, something about heavy tubes, heavy transformers, heavy speakers and heavy cabinets just works." PFDarkside

Comment

Supersonic 22! Half deluxe reverb with a *good sounding* fat switch (foot switchable), half gain channel that sounds right fender with the mid knob low or more modern with the gain 2 and the mids up.
                      Foot switchable fx loop.
                      Reverb is not as strong as a drri, works better for gain I feel like.
                      Decent stock speaker (fender lightning bolt I think), not as mismatched as I feel the C12k is with the Drri.

They started out with QC issues but i think they ironed out.. mine works ^_^
                      Anyways set it up and it's like having a drri and a blues Jr "plus" in one combo. I got the blonde/oxblood, looks great to me.
                      Sounds killer cranked up! No mods, no pedals.

Comment

Champ with a 12" speaker. On the 5F1 swap the .022 coupling caps with .047 or even better .1 to give it more bass response to drive the low end of the 12" speaker. SE amps just sound so sweet.

Comment

Hot rod deluxe, top-notch pedal platform and overall rippin' amp
                          "My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost" -Anonymous

Main Gear:
                          Orange Rockerverb MKIII 50w
                          Orange ppc212 open back cabinet
                          Jackson dx10d
                          DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
                          MXR Carbon Copy
                          MXR Phase 90 (EVH Version)

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                            Supersonic 22! Half deluxe reverb with a *good sounding* fat switch (foot switchable), half gain channel that sounds right fender with the mid knob low or more modern with the gain 2 and the mids up.
                            Foot switchable fx loop.
                            Reverb is not as strong as a drri, works better for gain I feel like.
                            Decent stock speaker (fender lightning bolt I think), not as mismatched as I feel the C12k is with the Drri.

They started out with QC issues but i think they ironed out.. mine works ^_^
                            Anyways set it up and it's like having a drri and a blues Jr "plus" in one combo. I got the blonde/oxblood, looks great to me.
                            Sounds killer cranked up! No mods, no pedals.
                            Thanks for your response. Yea, I agree they look really nice. Maybe it's that I've owned an original Fender Silverface and a RI Bassman, but to me the best looking Fenders are the Blackface and Brownface ones in creme & brown. The Special Editions that are in darker colors like "wine red" and navy blue are nice too. Not a big fan of the seafoam green or baby blue ones. Of the 15 amps I mentioned that is one of my favorites, based on looks, along with the Wine Red SE.

BTW: It's a small pain-in-the-butt to put pictures on this board. For whatever reason I can't get the "use URL" feature to work, so have to download and upload. I suspect others may have the same problem, as I notice compared to other boards there are a lot fewer pics on this board. Which for a topic like this is a shame:

SuperSonic 22 - Blonde -
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	super-sonic.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	5804785

Wine Red Princeton SE w/ 12"

Name:	red-princeton.jpg
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	5804786

Baby Blue Princeton SE w/ 12" Even though I usually like more unusual colors, this one doesn't work for me. The "surf green" is even worse.

Name:	princeton-babyblue.jpg
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	5804787

Probably my favorite color is the Classic Brownface 1961-1983. Also, seeing as I find Reverb over-rated ...

Name:	deluxe_brown.jpg
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	5804789

Comment

Originally posted by dr0 View Post
                              Yes, it seems to be a lot of people's favorite, not just on my little survey post, but on other threads I've read here. I have seen some people say that the Princeton is a little sweeter. We may not be getting the Princeton crowd because technically it's not really a 1x12, it's usually a 1x10.

I started thinking about this a while ago when I read this thread at another forum:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...erence.446494/

... which seems to be full of Princeton lovers. But the Deluxe seems to overall have more people jazzed about it. Interesting that no one has picked any of the two-channel amps over the similar single-channel ones.
                              I tried all of the speaker sizes and only a 12" works best with guitars IMHO. Smaller speakers cut out a lot of useful low end that a 12" offers.

The deluxe reverb is also loud enough for gigging/jamming at venues or with a loud drummer without sounding weak.

IIRC Radiohead used deluxe reverbs for most of their albums. There's a reason why Vox or Marshall, etc. essentially use 12" speakers exclusively. They just generally sound better.
                              Last edited by esandes; 01-08-2018, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X