banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is your favorite Fender 1x12 tube combo amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which is your favorite Fender 1x12 tube combo amp?

Originally posted by LLL View Post
    My 100% bone-stock 66-67 Fender Blackface Deluxe with original glass (tubes) and cover:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]86021[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]86023[/ATTACH]
    Really Nice!
    Thanks for posting the pics.
    The floral cover is really nice.

"For old fashioned blues and rock, something about heavy tubes, heavy transformers, heavy speakers and heavy cabinets just works." PFDarkside

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
      My 100% bone-stock 66-67 Fender Blackface Deluxe with original glass (tubes) and cover:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]86021[/ATTACH]
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]86022[/ATTACH]
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]86023[/ATTACH]

RCA, Telefunken, Mullard, Bugle Boy, Amperex

Oxford speaker

$1300 at the time (2009 IIRC)

Original tubes? This amp doesn't get played enough!

Comment

Blues Jr III Red October - stock with Eminence Wizard
        Supersonic 22 blonde - stock
        Hot Rod Deluxe+ Ampeg cab - lots of mods, Vtype in amp, V30 in cab. Sounds so amazing that all the others pale, which is kinda sad in a way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AmpsSml.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	5804921

Comment

Originally posted by kingsnake View Post
          Original tubes? This amp doesn't get played enough!
          Original owner bought it new 66-67. Went to college; experimented with a band for about a year. Gave it up. Dude kept it in his mom's closet for decades.

I play it occasionally (have other amps); but even so, NOS lasts forever.

Some NOS tube p0rn that came with the amp:

Amperex 12AX7A/ECC83:

Name:	Amperex 12AX7A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	5804928

Bugle Boy 12AT7/ECC81:

Name:	Bugle Boy ECC81-12AT7 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	5804933

GE-labeled Mullard 5AR4/GZ34:

Name:	Mullard GE 5AR4-GZ34 2.jpg
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	5804929

RCA 6V6GTA:

Name:	RCA 6V6GTA 2.JPG
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	5804930

RCA 7025:

Name:	RCA 7025 3.jpg
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	5804931

Telefunken 12AT7/ECC81:

Name:	Telefunken ECC81-12AT7.jpg
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	5804932
          Last edited by LLL; 01-20-2018, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post
            I'm a big Fender fan and currently own the following:
            1) '57 custom deluxe 5E3 (a Fender clone)
            2) Excelsior w/ Emi Legend 1518 (discontinued sometime back)
            3) Blues Junior converted to a head.
            4) Supersonic 22 (both combo and head...their issues have been remedied)
            5) Blues Deluxe Reissue

I love 'em all. Each has it's own characteristics and the necessary application dictates which I use. OP did not state if he is looking to purchase one, but if so, it'll depend on how he plans to use it as to which best suits.

If I were looking for a new Fender, I'd thoroughly test the new 68 Custom Vibrolux (2X10). Would love to have a '59 Bassman ltd. (4X10), but it's too heavy and loud for my needs.
            OP here: Yes, I've been thinking about it, in a general kicking the tires sort of way. I think we have similar taste in amps. I have the Bassman Ltd. and it's my main practice amp, and I like it a lot.
            I've been looking at the Custom Vibrolux based on the idea that the 2x10 seems like a way to get a lot of sound out of a small box. They aren't much bigger than all the other amps listed here.

In fact, I bet you could probably replace the baffle and put in one with two 2x10's in a DR or other of these amps.

"For old fashioned blues and rock, something about heavy tubes, heavy transformers, heavy speakers and heavy cabinets just works." PFDarkside

Comment

Here is my rough count, after this thread has been up for > 1 month:

The overall winner: Deluxe Reverb = with 8 total people mentioning one variation or another (including non-reverb).
              Runner up: Hot Rod Deluxe = 3 votes
              Show: Blues Deluxe - 2 votes

Others that got a single vote;
              Tweed Deluxe
              Bassbreaker
              Supersonic 22
              Champ (w/ 12")
              Blues Junior III

So, thanks everyone for the participation. Interesting thread. I'm certainly going to be keeping an eye out for the Deluxe next time I'm at a decent shop, and playing around.

Comment

Originally posted by dr0 View Post
                OP here: Yes, I've been thinking about it, in a general kicking the tires sort of way. I think we have similar taste in amps. I have the Bassman Ltd. and it's my main practice amp, and I like it a lot.
                I've been looking at the Custom Vibrolux based on the idea that the 2x10 seems like a way to get a lot of sound out of a small box. They aren't much bigger than all the other amps listed here.

In fact, I bet you could probably replace the baffle and put in one with two 2x10's in a DR or other of these amps.
                5E3 Tweed Deluxe head with a 2X10 or 1X12 cabinet offers mucho flexibility. When I need it all I go 5E3 2X10 ab'd with my Mesa Boogie 22...sorry for the interruption but am a 5E3 fanatic.

Comment

I did my first gigs on a Silveface Deluxe Reverb. Getting another one is on my nostalgic GAS list.

Comment

I've got to go with my trusty old Deluxe Reverb, in Blackface. I think it was completed in 1966, and I have owned in since the mid-70s sometime. I've replaced the tubes and put a 3 prong AC cord on it, other than that it is stock. That little amp has played thousands of gigs, often sitting on top of an old 2 x 12 extension cabinet which currently features a pair of Celestions.
                    Last edited by SAguitar; 02-15-2018, 05:37 PM.
                    "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Comment

My favorite 112 fender is any one w/lacquered tweed. I'll be pulling the trigger soon, small watt amp for the house.

Comment

Working...
                      X