banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Played a friend's new Friedman BE50 yesterday... WHOAH!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Played a friend's new Friedman BE50 yesterday... WHOAH!!!!

I had mixed feelings about posting my impressions here. Kind of selfishly wanted to guard my "secret" so as not to make Dave any busier (so he'll be free to mod my BE100 sooner).

This amp is frigging amazing. The cleans are the best I've ever heard on a channel switcher. So spanky, jangly, punchy. Breaking glass like a great Deluxe Reverb, but bigger and with more punch and headroom. This amp would KILL for a country rock band (which is how I used to butter my bread).

The rock tones are awesome and varied. I especially love the response and thump controls. Amazing variety in there. I also love the separate volume control for the lead channel. I have to use my Cussack More Louder pedal in the loop of my BE100 for lead volume boosts.

I thought my late-model BE100 was the be-all-end-all of Swiss Army Knife channel switchers. But the BE50 tops it. I would say that my 100 might have a slightly tighter punch for stuff like Alter Bridge, because of the increased headroom. But I haven't spent the time at high volume with the 50 to be sure of that.

At any rate, I would LOVE to have the new BE50. I don't think it would be possible to find a better amp for playing in a rock or country rock cover band. If I had all of these features on my 100, there'd be nothing else to want (for me at least). I predict that you will see a lot of these amps on stages.
    "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Re: Played a friend's new Friedman BE50 yesterday... WHOAH!!!!

Me want. Either that or a Quick Rod 50W.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

So, this is the 50 watt version of the BE100 and has better cleans?? is it lacking anything in the dirty dept??
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Input stage biasing was changed to 100k RP, 1.5k RK 22uf ck, instead of the 220k+100k split that’s common on his stuff. Thump is just a peavey style resonance control, Response is just an adjustable -fb resistor. Fat switch is move later in the preamp. It’s actully pretty similar to the Randall “the nuts” module he did for the rm100si, which was my least favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
          So, this is the 50 watt version of the BE100 and has better cleans?? is it lacking anything in the dirty dept??
          Not lacking anything in the dirt. But more Fender Deluxe Reverb in the clean than the BE100. I spent about two hours today playing country loudly on the clean channel of my 100 just to remind myself that I do in fact really like the 100s cleans. But the new 50 just has more breaking glass. It's awesome. My favorite cleans on channel switchers were previously the H&K Triamp Mk I and Bogner Shiva that I had years ago. But I think the BE50's cleans are better. They've got the breaking glass of the Triamp, with the headroom, thickness and punch of the Shiva. Whereas my BE100's cleans seem more like those on the Bogner XTC Classic that I had. Still very good, but not as good as the BE50.
          "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
            Me want. Either that or a Quick Rod 50W.
            I haven't heard a QR50. I have a QR100 for sale on consignment at my local shop. I love that amp, but prefer three BE100.

So proceeds from the sale of the QR will be paying for a Wildwood Pink Taco. My first Friedman was the original Taco and I didn't care for it. But my buddy with the new BE50 says that the Wildwood kills and is like a 20-watt BE. I sold the original Taco to him, so he's had both Tacos and says that the Wildwood has the girth of the Mini Shirley... which is the biggest sounding 20-watter I've ever played. The anemic sound of the original Taco was what I didn't like about it. So this new Taco should make me very happy.

Comment

I let Dave talk me out of the JJ, but I don’t know if I can resist

-Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
              “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Friedmans are magical beasts. I want one so very badly.

If he ever makes an amp that's basically a dual-channel Dirty Shirley with a Buxom Betty as the clean channel I WILL buy it.

Comment

That looks like an incredible amp.

I want to save some money and hit up Sweetwater with the intention of coming home with either a Small Box or BE50.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post

If he ever makes an amp that's basically a dual-channel Dirty Shirley with a Buxom Betty as the clean channel I WILL buy it.

Yup... I've been fantasizing about that very mythical beast ever since I had my Shirley.

Btw... such a unicorn already exists. The local player who I bought my Suhr Classic, VHT UL, ESP Eclipse, TC G System, and other toys from ordered exactly that beast from Dave last year. He's been gigging it around town. Though he usually just gigs his Runt 20.

I really liked my Shirley, but I like my BE a lot more. It can be loose and old school like the Shirley (with the C45 switch down), but it can do tight metal ala Alter Bridge with the switch up. Shirley can't do that well. Too flubby, spongey, and loose. But it's still an awesome amp for ACDC, Def Leppard, etc.
                    Last edited by Red_Label; 01-15-2018, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Label View Post
                      Yup... I've been fantasizing about that very mythical beast ever since I had my Shirley.

Btw... such a unicorn already exists. The local player who I bought my Suhr Classic, VHT UL, ESP Eclipse, TC G System, and other toys from ordered exactly that beast from Dave last year. He's been gigging it around town. Though he usually just gigs his Runt 20.
                      So did he order it as a custom job?

If you can privately send me any pictures and/or what he paid for it I'd be curious.

Comment

I probably shouldn't tell you this, but Dave will build you pretty much whatever you want.
                        -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                        “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

So did he order it as a custom job?

If you can privately send me any pictures and/or what he paid for it I'd be curious.
                          Yes, he special ordered it from Dave (through our dealer). I don't have any pics. I've never even seen it yet. Our mutual buddy is the guy who runs the local dealer. He's the one who told me about it. I know Chris (the guy who owns the amp) and count him as a friend... but we always end up talking about other things when we chat.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                            I probably shouldn't tell you this, but Dave will build you pretty much whatever you want.
                            I know he did that back when he was modding Marshalls, but i figured he'd be too busy to do that now. Maybe I should call him up. Hmm....

Comment

...or I could just stop by his booth at NAMM and see what's up.

Honestly I just want one of everything Dave makes.

Comment

Working...
                              X