Mesa Boogie Cab Clone and similar devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Boogie Cab Clone and similar devices

Hey guys, my biggest gigs lately have been high school and middle school show choirs. Laugh if you want but they're fast gigs, good money, and keep me playing.

Having said that, some of these gigs are in cramped quarters for the band or need a way to send signals to a mixer but mics aren't always easy to set up (choirs each have 20 minutes to setup and perform total). Looking into something like the cab clone for sending a signal directly to a mixer. Anyone got experience with some of these devices and have opinions on them?

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
    It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Re: Mesa Boogie Cab Clone and similar devices

I'll come out and say that I don't have any actual experience with them. That being said, the cab clone has sounded horrible in every demo I've heard, so I'd avoid that one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's someone who wasn't impressed. (The 3rd video is simply a satire of his first two.)

Well, shoot. The 'Tube videos aren't working again, so here's the links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGo9d2W7N-8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mhTdXCrhx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_bQvifIcw4

Comment

There's a great one called two notes torpedo live. It's a cool $1000 though.

Another one called blue box or something like that. From Germany. It's not a load box for tube amps though.

Last edited by esandes; 01-15-2018, 08:10 AM.

Comment

I have the built-in Cab-Clone in my Mark V amps. When I first got the V:25, I tried going directly from the CC into one of my Carvin LM-15A top boxes. It worked! Usable, but certainly different than what I was hearing out of the amp. I haven't tried it onto my mixer with the full PA, but I think the added EQ in the mixer would be a plus.

There are always devices like the Tech 21 Character boxes, or the Fly Rig.

Radial is another company that might have a suitable box. Their products are pretty good, IME.

There definitely is something to be said though, for a real speaker pushing air into a good mic. A short-base desk mic stand should be part of your kit. Or, look into getting one of the mic adaptor mounts specifically designed for a guitar amp. You should use an LO-2B adaptor (from On Stage Stands) with the mic clip, and I prefer the Shure SM-57 for micing a cab. Using the Shure windscreen for this mic isn't necessary, but it does provide some extra protection. Make sure you have high quality cables of adequate length(s). And a box or bag to keep everything together. Experiment and learn which mic placement works best for your amp and speaker. And I'd carry this, even if you find a DI.

And best of all, find a great roadie to set it up! A knowledgeable and trained friend can be a lifesaver when you have to do a fast set-up.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Bill
          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

The Cab Clone is alright. It gets a bad rap because Mesa was late to the party and there's now much better products available (Two Notes, etc). Had it been released earlier it would've been competing against products like the Palmer PDI and likely would've gained more acceptance.

It's basically meant to replicate a single SM57 on a speaker cab and is EQ'd to cut through a live mix, not make good YouTube demos. IMO, it's a bit of a right tool for the job thing.

The Two Notes by comparison uses a cabinet IR and is potentially emulating a multi-mic'd studio setup... so the results are obviously different than what you'd get out of a device that's attempting to emulate a single SM57.

And FWIW, the Cab Clone works best if you have a cab hooked up and the amp driving it. The speaker provides a dynamic load on the transformer, which changes the feel of the amp. The Cab Clone will sound/feel flat if you try to run it in silent mode.
            Last edited by some_dude; 01-15-2018, 01:16 AM.
            || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I have not tried myself but I read the AMT Pangea is good IR loader in a box, straightforward and in a good price range with . It does not have an XLR output so I guess you need an additional adapter from TRS to XLR.

HP42 made one of those long reviews.
              The AMT Pangaea is probably the smallest speaker sim box on the market and it is actually an impulse response loader with many presets... in a super tiny enc...
              Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                Here's someone who wasn't impressed. (The 3rd video is simply a satire of his first two.)

Well, shoot. The 'Tube videos aren't working again, so here's the links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGo9d2W7N-8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mhTdXCrhx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_bQvifIcw4
                They work, you just have to copy the whole string of letters and numbers at the end and put them in the right place. It's a massive PITA, but here's the format with brackets replaced with parenthesis:

(VIDEO=youtube;EGo9d2W7N-8)https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EGo9d2W7N-8(/VIDEO)

Basically you type =youtube; after VIDEO and then paste everything that follows the v=

Hope this helps.
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

There are analog devices that sound pretty cool out there.. they're typically a lot cheaper than the Two Notes/Impulse loader type devices.

I've got one of these (bought for $88)..it sounds killer.

These sound awesome as well..

Click image for larger version

Name:	GCS2%20Front[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	5804881

Also Mooer has a new one out that's an Impulse loader (Digital) for about $150 ..the "Mooer Radar". Heard nothing but great stuff about it..

And Digitech has one called the "Cab Dry Vr" for about the same price as well.. can't say what it sounds like though..the demo's seem fine.
                  "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                  If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

H&K Redbox?
                    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

I once played live with a Boss Blues Driver into a Line 6 Pocket POD into a Boss GE-7 straight into a mixer...

Granted, it was a tiny gig for 20 people maybe. I used the GE-7 for sculpting the resulting tone since you can't really adjust the Pocked POD live,
                      and the sound guy tweaked things further from the console and it was ugly, but OK.

Now, if you want to be serious, buy one of these:

I've never tried one but I heard a guy do a gig with one and it sounded excellent.
                      Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                      Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                      Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                      Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Bill, I definitely have all of those things! I don't have any control over the PA that is used for these choirs though and often they've got a pretty piss poor setup. Setting up even a desk mic stand is sometimes a little difficult. These show choir gigs are the most helter-skelter thing I've ever seen in my life. I'm just hoping to find something to put on my pedalboard or in the back of my amp to make this a little more seamless. I'm definitely spitballing ideas.

I could start carrying a microphone (God knows I've got a whole case full of various ones) to start micing it...

We'll see. Additionally, I'd like something that will give me something for direct recording purposes.

Biggest point in all this though, is I've got the itch to buy more gear and I think I'm just looking around at options

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                        I have the built-in Cab-Clone in my Mark V amps. When I first got the V:25, I tried going directly from the CC into one of my Carvin LM-15A top boxes. It worked! Usable, but certainly different than what I was hearing out of the amp. I haven't tried it onto my mixer with the full PA, but I think the added EQ in the mixer would be a plus.

There are always devices like the Tech 21 Character boxes, or the Fly Rig.

Radial is another company that might have a suitable box. Their products are pretty good, IME.

There definitely is something to be said though, for a real speaker pushing air into a good mic. A short-base desk mic stand should be part of your kit. Or, look into getting one of the mic adaptor mounts specifically designed for a guitar amp. You should use an LO-2B adaptor (from On Stage Stands) with the mic clip, and I prefer the Shure SM-57 for micing a cab. Using the Shure windscreen for this mic isn't necessary, but it does provide some extra protection. Make sure you have high quality cables of adequate length(s). And a box or bag to keep everything together. Experiment and learn which mic placement works best for your amp and speaker. And I'd carry this, even if you find a DI.

And best of all, find a great roadie to set it up! A knowledgeable and trained friend can be a lifesaver when you have to do a fast set-up.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Bill
                        Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
                        It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                          They work, you just have to copy the whole string of letters and numbers at the end and put them in the right place. It's a massive PITA, but here's the format with brackets replaced with parenthesis:

(VIDEO=youtube;EGo9d2W7N-8)https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EGo9d2W7N-8(/VIDEO)

Basically you type =youtube; after VIDEO and then paste everything that follows the v=

Hope this helps.
                          Thanks Chris. I'll try that out next time.

Comment

Originally posted by CapoFirstFret View Post
                            Bill, I definitely have all of those things! I don't have any control over the PA that is used for these choirs though and often they've got a pretty piss poor setup. Setting up even a desk mic stand is sometimes a little difficult. These show choir gigs are the most helter-skelter thing I've ever seen in my life. I'm just hoping to find something to put on my pedalboard or in the back of my amp to make this a little more seamless. I'm definitely spitballing ideas.

I could start carrying a microphone (God knows I've got a whole case full of various ones) to start micing it...

We'll see. Additionally, I'd like something that will give me something for direct recording purposes.

Biggest point in all this though, is I've got the itch to buy more gear and I think I'm just looking around at options
                            Got it! Nothing wrong with that! : )

I've done some gigs where you have five minutes to set up, so I know how hectic it can be. Very stressful!

Be sure to let us know what you finally choose. Good luck!

Bill
                            When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Not sure if anyone's posted it already, but the Digitech CabDryVR looks interesting:

Comment

Working...
                              X