New Amp Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Amp Day!

So I found the amp I was looking in earlier thread. And finally got it (actually 2-3 days ago, but didn't have time or chance to play it thoroughly until now).

It's Egnater Rebel 20 mark I:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20180120_211410.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	5846730

First of all, it's really an amp you have to delve into to make it work, or understand the controls. I think that's the reason it seems to have somewhat mixed response. You can't just plug in and get a great tone.

It sounded really flat lifeless everything at noon where I started to dial it in. It took some learning period to figure it out. Gain and tone stack are very responsive. Gain knob keeps everything clean up to 12, between 12-3 you can go from clean to bluesy dirt to classic rock crunch with guitar volume, and over 3 it's well into hard rock/metal territory. I find it perfect around 3 to 4, but it'll go such high gain tones around 6 in dial, that "high gain" switch in mark II seems really pointless. Maybe it's just short cut?

Tone stack is brilliant. It consist 3 standard dials + Egnater "signature" tight and bright switches, which gives huge versatility. You can dial it once for your current setup and not touch it again. It's so responsive to controls in guitar, pedals and amp. If I go from something like ac/dc to Iron maiden tones, I just flip the bright switch to get that tighter grind. For cleans, the tight switch brings in the needed glassiness and loses the excess bass.

Tube mix works as expected, it brings in the slight favor of different power amp tubes. Honestly it seems rather pointless as amp sounds by far the best when it's in the middle, combining the best aspects of both.

Watts control is interesting aspect. I don't know what it does, but it doesn't seem to really change the wattage much in terms of loudness or headroom, you might get slightly more power amp distortion with it. What it definitely does, is to add compression. There it works perfectly: It's complete squish at 1 watt, and you get increasingly grittier and more aggressive tone as you turn it up.

Master volume in this amp has some engineering magic in it: It really works. Tone stays intact as you turn from very loud to "practice at apartment" levels. There's no need adjust anything else.

Effects loop also works as good as you would expect, levels are good for normal floor pedals and it doesn't affect tone. It did have weird steady hum on it at the apartment, completety independent of amp volume, so I could just turn the volume up and not hear it when playing. It disappeared when I moved my rig. I test if it's an issue with electricity or ground loop next week when i'm back there.

As final note: This amp is LOUD! I mean seriously; It's supposed to be 20 watts: Tiny Terror is 15W and this will drown it volume at 12, and it will get even louder up to 3 o'clock...
    Last edited by Jacew; 01-20-2018, 05:35 PM.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Re: New Amp Day!

It's always a great day when you get an amp that gives you a wide range of tones in a package you like. Hopefully this will be a keeper and may you get much enjoyment from it.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

Sounds like a fun little amp....enjoy
      "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Bravo for taking the time to "Learn to play the amp". I hate it when people give crap reviews just because they don't 'get' a piece of gear....

Sounds like an awesome bit-o-gear.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I had an Egnater Renegade. It was a really, really great head. It sounded amazing. There's really nothing you can fault on Egnater amps, especially at the price. As far as I know, though they're made in China, is that they're very dependable. The Tweaker 88 was on my radar a few years ago, then forgot about them until Sweetwater came out with a 45w Plexi head. It was a fairly good price for a while, but disappointing because you couldn't channel switch. You had to just choose an input. I think because of that limitation, it couldn't compete with amps like the Friedman Smallbox. I think it if had channel switching capability, it would still be out there. The audio I did hear of it sounded darned good, and the reviews also seemed pretty good. Anyway, enough of the long story. That's a great amp. Congratulations on your new acquisition.

Comment

Effects loop also works as good as you would expect, levels are good for normal floor pedals and it doesn't affect tone. It did have weird steady hum on it at the apartment, completety independent of amp volume, so I could just turn the volume up and not hear it when playing. It disappeared when I moved my rig. I test if it's an issue with electricity or ground loop next week when i'm back there.
            This hum apparently had something to do with plugging the amp and pedal in front of it (EHX Worm) into a different socket. Since I've plugged them into same extension cord, loop is dead silent without effects engaged. Weird...

Another notion about the amp:
            You know how tube amp turns livelier when turning up the volume? As you turn Master down, the feel of the amp stiffens a bit, dialing the Watts knob down brings back that liveliness.
            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Working...
            X