All amp cabs are made the same, why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All amp cabs are made the same, why?

We Musicians are inherently conservative when it comes to how we like to see our instruments built.
    Example A: We are the last real holdout for using tubes in electronics (except apparently for the Russian Army, another group not known for embracing the future with both hands).

For many players those new-fangled solid-state amps are still looked at skeptically. (I'll include myself in that group.)
    Still, the manufacturers have continued to experiment and innovate and look for ways to improve them, and release models using the technology. The Class D power amps seems to have swept through the world of bass like a tsunami, so much so that the old-standby class AB solid-state amps are referred to as "Lead Sleds" and most companies have stopped manufacturing them.

I thought about this when looking at the Mesa web site and marveling at the incredible tiger-stripe maple cabinets that they offer. They are lovely, and I can see them appealing to the same sorts of players who love fancy maple capped PRS guitars. (Carlos Santana, I'm talkin' to you!)

Another thought I had looking at them was "wow, I wouldn't want to throw that in the back of a van at 2:00 AM and hope it gets home unscratched".

Anyway: it struck me that few manufacturers step outside the "marine grade plywood" era of amp construction. Why is this? Mesa are just doing the most possible with the material, cosmetically, which turns out to be quite a bit indeed, but reading through any "which 4x12 cabinet should I buy" thread over the last few years will show that "marine grade" "baltic" "Russian" "17 ply" "void free" PLYWOOD is not just King, but the Queen, Jack and Ace of amp construction still.

When I look at loudspeaker enclosures in other applications I see a lot of innovation and new materials being used.

The last pair of studio-monitors I bought are a very nice sounding set of self-powered JBL's and they are made from injection molded plastic, so that things like the carrying handle are moulded right in. They sound really fantastic, I used them for stereo speakers in my room dedicated to a home gym when they are not being pressed into service as PA monitors. The ability to build gently curving or tapered surfaces (loved by acoustic engineers - every go into a high end studio and notice the shapes of the rooms? They are not rectangles) - seems a very advantageous characteristic of plastic for amp enclosures.

A friend of mine is into really high-end audio. His speakers have gorgeous book-matched rosewood cabinets, but of course that is just a veneer. He explained that they were made of a "space age material" with almost no resonance. Apparently in high-end audio it's considered best to not have the cabinet vibrate (that's the speakers job) so acounstically "dead" materials are preferred over plywood.

Plywood has a lot of nice characteristics. Its strong, it's easy to cut, shape and join. It's easy to finish in a variety of ways. But it's also extremely heavy and pretty lively and reflective.. My 4x10 Orange cab weighs (per manual) 101 lbs. Bass players seem to have taken to the previously mentioned Class D amps largely because of the tremendous weight savings. The Ampeg SVT reissue is 86 lbs. The new Class D amps with similar output are 2 or 3 lbs. Still when it gets to the speakers, if they want the 8x10 sound they are still going to haul something like an 8x10 cab and it's going to weigh well over 100lbs.

When players want to downsize their speaker set up they typically go for fewer and smaller speakers. The 2x12 is the new 4x12, it seems. But they are made oversized to get the sound, and thus the weight is still up there on a lot of them. Mesa's 2x12 Vertical Slant Cab is still 75lbs.

The only lighter cabs out there are the cheaper entry-level ones which (apparently) use thinner woods and particle board to achieve some substantial weight savings. Of course thinner wood makes for less durable cabinets, so that's not really a great solution. Particle board is hated for both it's looks and it's tone, although whether vibration is really useful in an amp cabinet is still an open question. (Kustom Bass Amps, for instance, used heavy pleated vinyl to deaden their cabs). Certainly, as mentioned, the high end audio guys prefer deader materials like carbon fiber, aluminum honeycomb and even more exotics.

What would a carbon-fiber 4x12 cabinet sound like? How much weight savings could you achieve?

How about a JBL style plastic enclosure. Plastic, if properly formulated, can be far more abuse-proof than plywood, which is why all high-end instrument cases are made from it. It seems to be the preferred material for even pretty expensive monitors at this point. So, it's possible to build great sounding enclosures out of it? (and while you are at it speaker housing

Personally I like the presence of big 4x12 cabs, but wonder if the weight brought on by all those 17 layers of ply is really the best way to hold my drivers.

Illustrations:
    Classic "Lead Sled" Ampeg 450 Solid State class AB bass amp:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ampeg 450.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	5846754

Trace Elliot Class D "Elf" amp:

Name:	trace elliot elf.jpg
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	5846755

Orange 8x10 Bass Cab, 130 lbs!:

Name:	Orange-OBC810-2-1030x1030.jpg
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	5846756

JBL Eon 12, a 1000 Watt Powered PA Monitor, w/ 12" driver+horn: 33lbs

Name:	JBL EON=12.jpg
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	5846757

A.C.T 1 - a carbon fiber high-end audio speaker ($30,000 a pair)

Name:	A.C.T.P1__1.0.jpg
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	5846758

Classic Marshall 1960A 4x10 cab: 80lbs
    Lovely vintange look, Celestion G-12H 30's and pricey at $1500. Not sure what "hand-wired" means? Do monkeys wire the cheap ones?
    Someone told me they use thicker gauge wire. OK!

Name:	Marshall AHW.jpg
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	5846759

Somehow the Orange manages to weigh 20lbs more. Some of that is dimensional (it's bigger), but maybe the wood is thicker too?
    Sure feels that way. All other things being equal does heavier = better sound? Is 3/4" ply "better sounding" than 5/8"? Seems dubious.
    Celestion G12K 100 speakers, 102 lbs. $1100.

Name:	Orange PPC412-HP8_19873-1030x606.jpg
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	5846760

Finally, I noticed a while back that the cheap Marshalls weigh a lot less.

MG 412 ACF. This is the "Carbon Series" which has carbon fiber tolex, but is presumably built out of some lesser wood product than Russian 17-ply plywood.
    It has CELESTION G12-412MG speakers, and weighs 52 lbs. (About 1/2 the weight of the Orange 4x12 pictured above!)
    What would this sound like if you "hand wired" it with "fat wire" and the Celestion G-12H's used in the Handwired series? I doubt anyone has ever tried, but it might be interesting to try. (Again, assuming they are dimensionally the same)
    Amazingly this cabinet is sold new by Guitar Center for only $260.
    A single Celestion G=12H replacement speaker is $150 from the same source. Load the cab with them and the speakers would cost more than 2X the price of original cab! Looked at another way though: in the 1960 AHW you are paying about $600 for the speakers, and therefore about $900 for that nice plywood. Would $900 speakers in a $600 box sound better?

Name:	carbon.jpg
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	5846761

I Wonder what a real carbon fiber enclosure would sound like? Wonder what it would weigh?

Sorry - this is a scattershot Monday morning posting.
    Have at it! Have fun!
    Last edited by dr0; 01-22-2018, 11:34 AM.

"For old fashioned blues and rock, something about heavy tubes, heavy transformers, heavy speakers and heavy cabinets just works." PFDarkside

Re: All amp cabs are made the same, why?

Celestion G12-412 MG Speakers -- don't seem to be available new except as OEM equipment in amps, but they are plentiful on the used market, for as little as $12.95 !!!
    Warning: Do not put these in your Marshall 1960 AHW !!! May not be handwired !!!

Name:	Celestion MG.jpg
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	5804948

Celestion G12-H $149.

Name:	celestom G-12H.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	5804949
    Evokes the sounds of the classic 1960s and '70s rock bands.

The Celestion G12H is a reissue of their 12" guitar speaker that was re-released in 1994 for the Celestion 70th anniversary. Loud and proud thanks to its heavy magnet structure, the G12H provides a fusion of the Vintage 30 and the Greenback speaker characteristics, producing a thick, warm and syrupy sound while still retaining a tight and focused bottom end.

When played clean the G12H remains clear and musical without ever sounding harsh. In overdrive, pick attack is vividly articulated with sustained notes trailing off into warm harmonic tones.

"For old fashioned blues and rock, something about heavy tubes, heavy transformers, heavy speakers and heavy cabinets just works." PFDarkside

Comment

I didn't feel OK about putting these lovely high-end Mesa cabs with their exotic finishes in the same post as that faux-Carbon-fiber Marshall.

So: serious question. If amp cabs are better when they are more "live" and acting like the soundboard in a guitar why aren't they routinely manufactured this way? Why don't we tone-obsessed denizens of Seymour's Amp Den routinely strip the tolex off our old Fenders and Marshalls to liven up the response?
      Has anyone had a chance to play the same Mesa side-by-side, one tolex covered, one thier stained wood?
      But here they are, some are quite stunning. l own about a dozen electric guitars, not one has a finish as fancy and nice as these amps!

Name:	MarkV_AquaBlueAAAQuiltMaple_WickerGrille-HQ.jpg
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	5804950

Name:	MarkFive-CrimsonQuiltMaple-CreamBlack_G-Black_P-HQ.jpg
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	5804951

Comment

Bass players do everything wrong! While we are building highly resonant tiger striped cabinets from spaceship-grade Estonian 99 layer plywood
        They are wallowing in 1970s blue-sparkle vinyl covered upholstered Kustom amps.
        Maybe prolonged exposure to tones below 100Hz effects their sense of esthetics?
        (shamelessly nicked this photo off the web - Hey -that's a nice f-hole guitar.

Name:	kustom!.jpg
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	5804952

Comment

I'm puzzled by why you put in the title all cabs are made the same, then highlight the differences among several different cabs? Anyway good post.

I too wonder what a true carbon fiber cab would weigh and sound like in comparison.

Particle board produces a heavier cab than a equivalent ply cab. But they can sound good as well as different, probably because of the higher density and resulting less resonance, so it can be like a hi fi speaker cab in that regard.

Example A: We are the last real holdout for using tubes in electronics (except apparently for the Russian Army, another group not known for embracing the future with both hands).
          Well, actually vacuum tubes still power the best hi-fi systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
            I'm puzzled by why you put in the title all cabs are made the same, then highlight the differences among several different cabs? Anyway good post.
            Thanks! I'm happy to contribute here and hope a few people enjoy the topics I introduce.
            I had a much smaller post in mind when I titled it, and forgot to go back and rename it with something that better described the entire topic.

I too wonder what a true carbon fiber cab would weigh and sound like in comparison.

Particle board produces a heavier cab than a equivalent ply cab. But they can sound good as well as different, probably because of the higher density and resulting less resonance, so it can be like a hi fi speaker cab in that regard.
            Thanks. I really wondered about that. One assumes then that the lightweight Marshalls are not only using particle board of some sort, but also thin particle board, to get those low weights, so the resulting cabs might not be very strong.

Besides Carbon Fiber I wonder why someone like Marshall doesn't just build an injection-molded cab. They sell a lot of cheap cabs, I'm sure and it might result in a better cab at that price point than the thin particle board method they are using now. I mean JBL and others in that line have been doing that for years. And the cabs are noticeably lighter and better sounding than the wood enclosed cabs of a couple decades back.

Well, actually vacuum tubes still power the best hi-fi systems.
            Good point. A lot of very high end audio stuff does still use tubes. I think the tube vs. solid state war has been fought to a draw in their world, but I don't really keep up, just hear what my good friend who is really into hi-fi says. He's been talking about getting some tube stuff, which is funny because he current set up includes some extremely pricey solid-state gear.

Comment

KRK came to market as a price point leader, and one of the first companies to build small, powered near field monitors specifically for recording. They were early on the self-powered trend, and early on the plastic cab trend, maybe even starting the latter.

They have stuck with the injection moulded cabs, powered speakers and are now are a premium price point product. Those aspects of their products which at first seemed like "el cheapo cost cutting" compared to the passive Yamaha's with black wood cabinets are now seen as equivalent, or superior. In the near-field monitor market it's hard to find either new passive near-field monitors or wooden enclosures these days, no matter where you look for them.

Name:	KRK.jpg
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	5804953

Comment

Another thing that puzzles me about guitar cabs is how few use ports of any kind. Porting for enhanced bass is absolutely standard in almost every other type of cabinet design I can think of. These KRK's above, even the tiny ones have them. My friends five foot tall mondo hi-fi speakers have them (and he has two mondo sub-woffers, too, so it's not just for bass, I guess, as the subs were designed to go with the speakers.)

I know that Mesa does used them on their original small 1x12 cab that was designed as an extension for the original 1x12 Boogie combo.

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 11.38.06 AM.jpg
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	5804955

Part of all the original-thinking that Randall Smith did back in the day. As his company grew though, he had to start building 4x12 Marshall-style cabs, just like everyone else, to meet market demand. (The Mesa's undoubtably extremely well crafted, and possibly also available with incredible wood finishes, although all the ones I've seen are tolex, most frequently black.

The original little Boogie amp was based on a Princeton! The Princeton originally had a 10" speaker in it, so lots of power and a big speaker in a very small enclosure. That didn't seem to hurt the tone too much, people have always raved about them, and I notice that a lot of their amps are still made in the original small size 1x12 combo.

Here's the "Express Plus" line up. Both small cabs in front (I believe) have 12" speakers. (The smaller one is a 25 watt, the larger a 50 watt).

Name:	express-family-704x750.jpg
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	5804954

It's very cool how they have re-imagined the stack and 1/2 stack with these products, and I see a lot of others doing the same too.
                Last edited by dr0; 01-22-2018, 01:56 PM.

Comment

when i make cabs, either stand alone or for combos, i make them out of pine and just lacquer them. they sound great for the blues/rock music i play and are lighter than ply. they are also very soft and easily dented but that isnt a huge concern of mine. also saves a ton of time and effort putting tolex or tweed or whatever on the box

Comment

Real Baltic Birch ply is strong, consistent and most importantly void free. This makes it an excellent material for speaker enclosures that are constantly being banged around.

Most players are looking for a sound that is at least somewhat familiar to them, and manufacturers want to sell products. That is why you see so much commonality among speaker cabinets.

You can buy ported cabs or soundcwave cabs, or whatever. Just not many in the mainstream
                    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Then there's also those triangle 3-speaker cabs. I forget who makes them.

edit; seems there was another brand doing these first,,,,,but maybe I'm just getting old and having false memories.

Get the guaranteed best price on Guitar Amplifier Cabinets like the 3rd Power Amps HLH Series 312 180W Triangle Guitar Speaker Cabinet at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on...
                      Last edited by dave74; 01-22-2018, 06:48 PM.

Comment

I’ve gotta say, in the world of bass, Class D and Neodymium is pretty nice!

Dave, if you ran a cabinet, would you do Class D and Neodymium? I could see that in the forward looking music genres.

For old fashioned blues and rock, something about heavy tubes, heavy transformers, heavy speakers and heavy cabinets just works. It’s funny how heavy even my Princeton Reverb is with its slightly bigger OT and Eminence.
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                          For old fashioned blues and rock, something about heavy tubes, heavy transformers, heavy speakers and heavy cabinets just works. It’s funny how heavy even my Princeton Reverb is with its slightly bigger OT and Eminence.
                          Great observation, sounds like a new tag line. :-)
                          A loaded Princeton Reverb, like the original Boogie, *is* a small, dense piece. The 50 watt Mesa's 1x12 combos are about 45lbs in a much smaller package than my Fender Bassman which is also 45 lbs.
                          People see you moving a Bassman and offer to help, or hold doors. People see you with a Princeton and don't give it a second thought. I'd never try to carry a cased guitar and the Bassman at the same time, Bassman in one hand, but you see people do that will Boogies and other small but heavy / dense small amps all the time.

No wonder they feel heavy, they are! Even stock Princeton's are 35lbs or so! (and that's with the 10")

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                            Real Baltic Birch ply is strong, consistent and most importantly void free. This makes it an excellent material for speaker enclosures that are constantly being banged around.

Most players are looking for a sound that is at least somewhat familiar to them, and manufacturers want to sell products. That is why you see so much commonality among speaker cabinets.

You can buy ported cabs or soundcwave cabs, or whatever. Just not many in the mainstream
                            Ayrton nailed it.

I doubt you'll see many (if any) ported 4x12 cabinets because part of the classic 4x12 sound is having the speakers in the wrong spot in a cabinet that isn't the right size. If you mess with that formula too much, you end up with a cabinet that doesn't sound how most players expect it to.

I own ported 1x12 and 2x12 cabs as well as a Marshall 4x12 from 1978. As soon as I take the Marshall back out of storage I'm going to sell it since I've played it maybe 20 times in the last decade.

Regarding the weight difference between the handwired & MG cabs, look at the speakers. The MG speakers have magnets less than half the size of those G12Hs, and that saves a ton of weight. Many would argue that the MG speakers sound nowhere near as good, and they're definitely nowhere near as loud.
                            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Get the guaranteed best price on Guitar Amplifier Cabinets like the THD 2x12 Ported Extension Cabinet at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of items.

I really like this speaker cab design although it's no longer in production. It's still baltic birch, but it sounds pretty close to a traditional 4x12, while being significantly lighter weight and way easier to transport.

Comment

Working...
                              X