Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on the Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue combo amps

Hi guys,

I have a small practice amp that I bought back in the year 2000. It has served me well at home, studio and garage practice. I thought about replacing it with something newer and with more tube(s), but since I like the way it sounds and plays I’ll keep it. However, I’m thinking about buying a second amp to have as backup and maybe for a slightly different sound.

I want to buy used and for about 100 bucks (or Swiss Francs). Locally I’ve been able to find a few H&K of the edition blue series in most of its variants, that is 15W and 30W, and also R and DFX. The R stands for Reverb and the amp has spring reverb (just like my Marshall), the DFX stands for Digital FX or Effects and it has built-in flanger, chorus, and phaser on the same knob. I’ll probably won’t use this, so it’s not a plus for me. I think this is a newer model, so it may mean that the amp is younger and/or has less mileage, but I don’t know if this is more prone to failure than the spring reverb.

I have not seen the 60W for sale, but that is too large for home practice anyway. The 15W that I have is enough and this one also has an 8” speaker, so I thought of going for the 30W with a 10 incher. All of these have two channels, which may come useful, as I usually control the gain with the volume knob of the guitar, but a button to go to Clean and then back to where I was may be handy. And only the 30W and 60W have the option for a footswitch to change the channel, which may also be handy.

What do you think? I’ve read many reviews and heard some on youtube and it seems like a great practice amp. It can be had from 70-200 bucks used, so it is within my budget. Any comments on this amp and your experience with them will be greatly appreciated. I’ve almost settled on a 30W R for 100 bucks, but I’d like to know what you think about the other options

Cheers!

Walter

P.S. If you live in Zürich and want to get together and jam, send me a PM!

EDIT 25.Jan.2018:

Due to an unexpected turn of events, I managed to buy an ENGL 315 head with an ENGL 110 cabinet for 150 bucks! I couldn't turn that deal down; therefore, I'm no longer looking at the H&K combos. Nevertheless, any coments on either of the amps are appreciated for discussion.
    Last edited by waltschwarzkopf; 01-25-2018, 09:00 AM.
    "I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me."

Re: Thoughts on the Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue combo amps

Originally posted by waltschwarzkopf View Post
    Hi guys,

I have a small practice amp that I bought back in the year 2000. It has served me well at home, studio and garage practice. I thought about replacing it with something newer and with more tube(s), but since I like the way it sounds and plays I’ll keep it. However, I’m thinking about buying a second amp to have as backup and maybe for a slightly different sound.

I want to buy used and for about 100 bucks (or Swiss Francs). Locally I’ve been able to find a few H&K of the edition blue series in most of its variants, that is 15W and 30W, and also R and DFX. The R stands for Reverb and the amp has spring reverb (just like my Marshall), the DFX stands for Digital FX or Effects and it has built-in flanger, chorus, and phaser on the same knob. I’ll probably won’t use this, so it’s not a plus for me. I think this is a newer model, so it may mean that the amp is younger and/or has less mileage, but I don’t know if this is more prone to failure than the spring reverb.

I have not seen the 60W for sale, but that is too large for home practice anyway. The 15W that I have is enough and this one also has an 8” speaker, so I thought of going for the 30W with a 10 incher. All of these have two channels, which may come useful, as I usually control the gain with the volume knob of the guitar, but a button to go to Clean and then back to where I was may be handy. And only the 30W and 60W have the option for a footswitch to change the channel, which may also be handy.

What do you think? I’ve read many reviews and heard some on youtube and it seems like a great practice amp. It can be had from 70-200 bucks used, so it is within my budget. Any comments on this amp and your experience with them will be greatly appreciated. I’ve almost settled on a 30W R for 100 bucks, but I’d like to know what you think about the other options

Cheers!

Walter

P.S. If you live in Zürich and want to get together and jam, send me a PM!
    I don't have personal experience with, but I've heard them to be not that good sounding. That they're very solid statey...

You should try it out if possible.

For a tube amp with that money, I'd be looking at Laney Cub, or perhaps Jet City amps.

Egnater Tweaker or Peaveys are probably over the budget? How much Francs are in euros?
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
      I don't have personal experience with, but I've heard them to be not that good sounding. That they're very solid statey...

You should try it out if possible.

For a tube amp with that money, I'd be looking at Laney Cub, or perhaps Jet City amps.

Egnater Tweaker or Peaveys are probably over the budget? How much Francs are in euros?
      Yes, they are solid state, like mine. But I’ve heard that they have a tube sound, for whatever that means. I will try them with my guitar and see if I like them. The exchange rate, to keep it simple, is 120CHF = 120USD = 100EUR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me."

Comment

Yes, they are solid state, like mine. But I’ve heard that they have a tube sound, for whatever that means. I will try them with my guitar and see if I like them. The exchange rate, to keep it simple, is 120CHF = 120USD = 100EUR

I don't know why I read you we're searching a tube amp... No wonder I recalled people to compare them to solid state amps then ...

You can't really have "too much" wattage in SS amps. It doesn't affect the tone whether you're using 50% or 5% of available power. So more the better.

Do you get distortion/OD from pedals, ie. does it need to have good OD on it's own?

If you have pedals for OD tones, (or are going to get) Fender Frontman 212 (100W) would be good for anything, from home practice to gigging. They may just be over your budget, but I've seen them on sale occasionally for less. And they're definitely worth the price.
        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Comment

My Edition Blue 60R has been my main amp for quite a few years. The 60 is definitely not too much, or big for home use. Beautiful cleans. Takes pedals well. The big advantage of the 60 is that it comes stock with a bonafide Celestion 12" speaker. I think the 12-incher is important to it's sound.

About a year ago, I slightly modded it by installing an external jack so that I could use it as an extension cab for my Bogner Alchemist. But the H&K does stand on it's own. Great little amp IMHO.

Comment

Thoughts on the Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue combo amps

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
            You can't really have "too much" wattage in SS amps. It doesn't affect the tone whether you're using 50% or 5% of available power. So more the better.

Do you get distortion/OD from pedals, ie. does it need to have good OD on it's own?
            I don’t use pedals if any kind, so a good OD is mandatory on an amp for me. My Marshall does everything I want, I’m hoping to get something similar on a backup amp.

Last edited by waltschwarzkopf; 01-23-2018, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Thoughts on the Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue combo amps

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
              My Edition Blue 60R has been my main amp for quite a few years. The 60 is definitely not too much, or big for home use. Beautiful cleans. Takes pedals well. The big advantage of the 60 is that it comes stock with a bonafide Celestion 12" speaker. I think the 12-incher is important to it's sound.

About a year ago, I slightly modded it by installing an external jack so that I could use it as an extension cab for my Bogner Alchemist. But the H&K does stand on it's own. Great little amp IMHO.
              I’ve not seen the 60W for sale, so I’d have to settle for a 30W. I want a larger speaker than my current 8” and the 30W comes with a 10” Jensen speaker.

I’ve seen other H&Ks for sale, but they are larger and also out of my budget.

Last edited by waltschwarzkopf; 01-23-2018, 08:45 AM.

Comment

I’ve not seen the 60W for sale, so I’d have to settle for a 30W. I want a larger speaker than my current 8” and the 30W comes with a 10” Jensen speaker.

I’ve seen other H&Ks for sale, but they are larger and also out of my budget.

Definitely go for 10". 8"s in cheap combos are very rarely good sounding.

Comment

I just saw a ENGL 315 with a 110 cabinet online, for 150! It’s a good deal, right? I will go see it tonight y most likely grab it. What do you think?

Comment

I just saw a ENGL 315 with a 110 cabinet online, for 150! It’s a good deal, right? I will go see it tonight y most likely grab it. What do you think?

Seems great! For that price I would grab it if it looks and sounds good.

Just note that if it's due to tube change, that might cost you extra 100.

Comment

I enjoyed the 18 and 20 watt heads a lot. I have not tried out the combos though. I would assume they are pretty close to the same tho.
                      "My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost" -Anonymous

Main Gear:
                      Orange Rockerverb MKIII 50w
                      Orange ppc212 open back cabinet
                      Jackson dx10d
                      DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
                      MXR Carbon Copy
                      MXR Phase 90 (EVH Version)

Comment

Yes, I’ll keep that in mind. I hope everything works, the new price for that would be about 700chf

Comment

I HAVE IT!

Top condition and sounds amazing! He told me that other 40 people called, and that he sold to me because I was the first. Lucky me! I give it a proper jam tomorrow afternoon, now I have to get it safely back home.

Comment

I HAVE IT!

Top condition and sounds amazing! He told me that other 40 people called, and that he sold to me because I was the first. Lucky me! I give it a proper jam tomorrow afternoon, now I have to get it safely back home.

Great! Have fun. And post how it is like once you get to properly play it

Comment

I bought a 15watt one many moons ago for a cheap/light amp to take to work for lunchtime practice. For the cost and being SS, I thought it sounded pretty good.. Not great, but good. Decent cleans, fun gain,verb and I could plug phones into it. I liked it enough to buy a 30 watter and give the smaller one to my daughter...
                              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                              X