1X12 Amp Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1X12 Amp Suggestions

I may have to replace my amp at some point as I'm having some issues with mine currently and am gonna take it to a tech, but I have a feeling the cost is gonna be pretty high for what its worth. I really like the amp but the guy who owned it before me (I bought it a long time ago) decided he would mod it and did a really sloppy job. Its a Seymour Duncan 84-40.

So I'm looking for something in the 40-50w range with a 1x12 and an effects loop and takes pedals well.

I play all kinds of music from jazz and blues to metal so it needs to be an all rounder.

I'm not really look for a Marshall type sound for the dirty channel. In fact it really doesn't need a dirty channel as I use a lot of pedals for drive. I would like some nice clean tones, and a drive channel would be a nice bonus but like I said not necessary. And built in reverb would be nice but I can always get a pedal for that as well.

Some things I've looked into were the Egnater Tweaker, and the Fender Bassbreaker, which I think I would like both.

Just looking for some suggestions, I was thinking 300-500 used

Its not a huge rush I just need to know what I should keep an eye out for

Thanks,
    Ray
    sigpic
    Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
    Dunlop Crybaby
    MXR Custom Comp
    GFS Twin Overdrive
    Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
    Blackstar HT-DISTX
    Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Re: 1X12 Amp Suggestions

100 watt 1x12 Boss Katana and you are done. In your price range and is an amazing amp.
    Originally posted by Ball&Chain
    Orange beer just doesnt taste near as good as red. Im sure you will find that in the bible somewhere.

Comment

If all rounder is what you need:
      https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...5-New-Amp-Day!

30 watt version Rebel might be just what you're looking for.
      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Spudman View Post
        100 watt 1x12 Boss Katana and you are done. In your price range and is an amazing amp.
        I concur.

Comment

3rd vote for the Katana 100. In that price range, and for the sound & versatility it offers, it's going to be very hard to beat.

Comment

Katana is good, but you want marshall tone? Buy a marshall. The DSL 40C is pretty good. I personally would recommend the CR60 by Orange or the Fender bassbreaker. All fantastic amps you can't go wrong with.
            "My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost" -Anonymous

Main Gear:
            Orange Rockerverb MKIII 50w
            Orange ppc212 open back cabinet
            Jackson dx10d
            DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
            MXR Carbon Copy
            MXR Phase 90 (EVH Version)

Comment

Nevermind, I need to read better, he DOESN't want a Marshall.. lol, I take back the DSL40C recommendation
              "My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost" -Anonymous

Main Gear:
              Jackson dx10d
              DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
              MXR Carbon Copy

Comment

The Katana is a good amp that fits my requirements, but I really want to go with a valve amp, it seems like the Tweaker 40 can be had for around 450 used so I might end up going with that. But any other suggestions are appreciated
                sigpic
                Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
                Dunlop Crybaby
                MXR Custom Comp
                GFS Twin Overdrive
                Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
                Blackstar HT-DISTX
                Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

The orange rocker series is also really good, not quite 40-50 watts though. I can attest that they are plenty loud.

Main Gear:
                  Jackson dx10d
                  DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
                  MXR Carbon Copy

Comment

For a pedal platform you probably want Fender cleans with a loop. I believe the Bassbeaker 45 doesn't have a loop, and its only available as a 2x12 in combo form. It's really a Tweed/Marshall style sounding amp as well. A 40 watt+ 1x12 Fender with a loop in the budget range would probably be a used Hotrod Deluxe:

Discover the sound of Fender, the spirit of rock-n-roll since 1946. Shop Fender guitars, basses, amplifiers, audio equipment, accessories, apparel and more.

Comment

+1 on CR 60 Orange.
                      If learning isn't difficult at times you're not learning.

RocknRoll will never die ( I wont let it! )

Comment

For that price, if you're looking at tube amps, the most commonly available will be Fender Hot Rod/Blues Deluxe, Marshall DSL40C, and Blackstar HT40, none of which are bad amps nor is the Egnater. However, if you can put away a little extra for the budget, since you said it wasn't a rush, for a little more you could find some of the "lower end" Mesa's like the Rocket, F-Series, .50Cal, Heartbreakers, and even occasionally some MkIIA-B and MkIIIs
                        sigpic
                        Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

+2 on the Orange CR-60.

The clean channel will break up a bit when you turn it up and takes pedals nicely. The amp has an effects loop.
                          And swap out the stock speaker - if it is a News to the World!!!!
                          That is not dead which can eternal lie,
                          And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

Working...
                          X