NAD #2 - Mesa Express 5:50 Plus Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD #2 - Mesa Express 5:50 Plus Head

I ran across a 1x12 Combo version of this at Guitar Center last Christmas and really liked it. Almost bought it but couldn't justify the price at the time. I had a meeting in downtown Denver yesterday and had been seeing this listed on CL for a few weeks now at what I considered a good price (below what I'm seeing on eBay or Reverb as well as comps on CL) so I stopped by the pawn shop that had it listed, plugged it into a Marshall Special Edition 4x12 and ran it through it's paces to make sure it didn't have any issues whatsoever. As it's a 2015 model it shouldn't/didn't and it looks brand new with nary a scuff or scratch on it. Missing the footswitch but that's already on order from Mesa. I will be removing the 5150 Combo from the top of the 80's Mesa Metal Mesh Grill Celestion Vertical 2x12 Cab tonight and replacing it with the 5:50 Plus!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 01-26-2018, 09:43 AM.
    MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
    1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
    1988 Kramer Nightswan
    1989 Charvel Sambora
    2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
    Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
    Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Re: NAD #2 - Mesa Express 5:50 Plus Head

It’s going to be a very enjoyable evening...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 01-30-2018, 10:21 AM.
    MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
    1988 Kramer Nightswan
    1989 Charvel Sambora
    2016 Warmoth Hellacaster

sigpic

Comment

Wow!!! The 5:50...so many tonal options. Spent a bit of the evening bouncing back and forth between the Mesa and the Rivera and damn...I am very pleased with both of them!!!
      MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
      1988 Kramer Nightswan
      1989 Charvel Sambora
      2016 Warmoth Hellacaster

sigpic

Comment

I really like the Express + amps. You may have gotten a better deal than you realize...apparently Mesa is discontinuing this line. Which means, prices on the used amps will probably go UP, at least for a while.

Bill
        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Must be something new coming out that’s the next version. Either way I’m glad I ran across it when I did and was in the position to pick it up.

Edit: Did some research and saw threads on GearPage and a Strat page about some place called Humbucker Music announcing the demise of the Express...text below...

Mesa Boogie Express Plus Amplifiers

If over the past few years you've asked us for the best bang for the buck amp we sell...

The Express series was our answer. Well, Mesa Boogie has announced that next year will be the last run of Express Series amps and then they'll be gone for good. The Express series has consistently been one of Mesa Boogie's most popular lines in their history, but rising production costs and other factors keep driving selling prices up for all-USA built amps like this, and the result is they get discontinued.

Folks, we sell a lot of amplifiers, and we hate to see this series go. They are solid as a rock, sound great, never returned, and carries one of the lowest failure rates we've ever seen.

If you're looking for a versatile, do just about all amp for a no-brainer price, here it is. Get them at these prices while you can. Once gone, they're gone for good.

I’ve liked the 5:50 since the first time I tried it...no qualms at all. Same with the Bogner Shiva. Now if I could just find a deal on a 20th Anniversary Shiva.
          Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 01-31-2018, 11:29 AM.
          MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
          1988 Kramer Nightswan
          1989 Charvel Sambora
          2016 Warmoth Hellacaster

sigpic

Comment

REALLY great amp. VERY underrated. Cleans are so beautiful. Lots of overdriven goodness. I used to have one with the contour knob before the + version came out with the slider EQs. It was great then, even better now.. You man have had a great new amp day. Congratulations.

Comment

Thank you. I'm feeling like I did alright on it and, more importantly, I like it.
              MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
              1988 Kramer Nightswan
              1989 Charvel Sambora
              2016 Warmoth Hellacaster

sigpic

Comment

Wow, nice amp!
                Do you know what tubes are in there?

I have a F50 which is its predecessor, but this seems like the ultimate incarnation with the EQ!
                Congrats on the score.

Comment

Thanks! Definitely pushes some air through the cabinet. I've played an F50 once briefly, nice amp and it was hooked up to a 15" Extension Cab so it was quite nice sounding overall.

Tubes are: Preamp Tubes 5x Mesa 12AX7 / Power Amp Tubes 2x Mesa 6L6.

Amplifier Features

Amp Type Tube
                  Chassis Material Aluminum
                  Rectifier Type Silicon Diodes
                  Rectifier Tubes n/a
                  Variac Power Switch n/a
                  Preamp Tubes 5x Mesa 12AX7
                  Power Amp Tubes 2x Mesa 6L6
                  Bias Switch for Alternate Power Tubes Types n/a
                  Maintenance Free Fixed Bias Yes
                  Wattage(s) Quick Reference 5, 25 or 50 Watts - Channel Assignable - See Power Amp Details for more information
                  Built-In Power Amp Attenuation n/a
                  Power Amp Details (Class & Wattage) Mesa's Patented Multi-Watt™ (Patent 7,602,927) Power Amp, featuring Duo-Class™ (Patent 7,173,488) technology, provides three power and two operating-class options that are channel assignable via two 5/25/50 Watt Power Switches: Choose 1 power tube operating in pure vintage Class A (single-ended), producing 5 Watts - 2 tubes running in pure Class A, Push-Pull, producing 25 Watts or 2 tubes operating in time honored Class A/B power, producing 50 Watts
                  Convection or Fan Cooling Convection
                  Number of Footswitchable Channels (or Modes) Two Channels
                  Number of Style Modes Four
                  Number of Style Modes Per Channel Two
                  Types of Style Modes Per Channel Ch. 1 = Clean or Crunch
                  Ch. 2 = Blues or Burn
                  Channel Controls Each Channel features Independent 2-Position Style Mode Switch, 5/25/50 Watt Multi-Watt™ Switch, Gain, Treble, Mid, Bass, Footswitchable Reverb, Master and Footswitchable or Auto-Assignable Contour Depth Control
                  Graphic EQ and/or Contour Selectable 5-Band Graphic EQ and Contour (Footswitchable, Channel Assignable or Off)
                  Reverb / Effects & Bypass Options Footswitchable, All-Tube, Long Spring Reverb with Independent Channel Controls
                  Effects Loop & Bypass Options Fully Buffered Series FX Loop
                  Global Output Level Control n/a
                  Global Solo Level Control & Bypassable Options Yes (Over each channel when activated)
                  True-Bypass Options n/a
                  Tuner Output n/a
                  External Switching Jack Options and/or Midi External Switching Jacks for Channel 1/2, Reverb, EQ & Solo
                  Speaker Outputs One 8 Ohm and Two 4 Ohm
                  Cabinet Simulation - Direct Live/Recording Output n/a
                  Headphone Output n/a
                  Slave Output n/a
                  MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
                  1988 Kramer Nightswan
                  1989 Charvel Sambora
                  2016 Warmoth Hellacaster