Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New amp day! 1956 Gibson GA20!

I love these amps. So does Ry Cooder.

I used to play through a pair of original 59 Tweed Deluxes.

When I discovered the Gibson GA20, and bought one.

Then I sold my Tweed Deluxes.

Today I bought another GA20.

All original, just like my other one, with the original Jensen P12R speaker.

I’ll take it to my brother Bruce at Mission Amps in Denver and he’ll go through it and tune it up.

I have lots of NOS RCA 6v6 and 12ax7 tubes too.

The secret to these amps is plugging 8nto the microphone input and just cranking them up.

Sounds mind blowingly awesome with my Klon. Super fat and smooth. Works better with the GA20 th@n any amp I own.

These amps are just killer for American Roots. Music, blues and slide guitar.

If you’re patient, you can find them for well under a grand...and I’m a patient guy.

Highly recommended.

Click image for larger version

Name:	138B0216-3941-4D63-B595-2E8743DB8F4E.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	5846859

Name:	26BC369F-A606-422B-880B-9F4D0B79619F.jpeg
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	5846860

Name:	EF09FB4A-3470-4F20-81EA-6BB8DB26094C.jpeg
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	5846861

Name:	FAB337DD-E286-47C4-8A99-FF4902BD8AA7.jpeg
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	5846862
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Re: New amp day! 1956 Gibson GA20!

Really? It ousted a pair of Tweed Deluxes?

My dad has an old Gibson amp kicking around his house. It's a head and 15" cabinet. I haven't looked at the thing in forever, but I remember the controls having ranges for guitar and bass. He claims it sounds like crap, but I suppose I should give it a whirl.

Congrats on the score!
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
      Really? It ousted a pair of Tweed Deluxes?

My dad has an old Gibson amp kicking around his house. It's a head and 15" cabinet. I haven't looked at the thing in forever, but I remember the controls having ranges for guitar and bass. He claims it sounds like crap, but I suppose I should give it a whirl.

Congrats on the score!
      The 50’s Gibson’s are a whole different beast from the later 60’s versions. So your dad’s might not get the tone these old GA20’s get.

And the way guys like Ry Cooder use it is to ignore the guitar channel and plug into the Microphone input.

Amazingly luscious, fat thick and honking overdrive.

The guitar channel is pretty tame and most guys miss out on the best tones these amps have...which is from the Microphone channel.

Comment

super cool.
        Ive always wanted an EH150, but that looks more functional without the speaker gizmo.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

very cool. never owned any of those old 50's gibsons but played through a bunch over the years. last ga20 i played had 6sj7 preamp tubes, not sure when they switched

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            very cool. never owned any of those old 50's gibsons but played through a bunch over the years. last ga20 i played had 6sj7 preamp tubes, not sure when they switched
            My 51 Super has those big bottle preamp tubes. 12ax7 seem to have more gain though.

Jeremy, you owe it to yourself to get one of these GA20’s.

A Roots player like you would just tear it up through one...but remember to use the microphone input. That’s where the best tones are.

When I hear those old 50’s Muddy Waters with Jimmy Rogers, or old Howlin Wolf records I picture them using this amp.

Don’t know if they did...but that’s the sound.

And crank it up all the way and it’s like a baby Marshall!

Comment

The earlier '55s had the 6SL7s. At least with the GA-6, maybe the GA 20s are the same. I know that the GA-6 uses the same PT as a GA20.

I definitely approve of this thread. I had a '55 GA-6 and the microphone input was great. I only really played with that and the 1st input. These are definitely a bit warmer than fenders. The 6SL7 GA 6 sounded a bit cleaner cranked too. I want to pick up a 2 12ax7 version.

Edit: if you switch out the filter caps, I really liked F&T. I know Jupiter and Sozo sell repro caps that sound like old Astrons if you decide to replace coupling caps. The amp looks sweet. I'm definitely having some old Gibson amp GAS now for sure haha.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
              Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 01-31-2018, 06:14 PM.

Comment

the 6sl7 version i tried was fat but cleaner sounding than the 12ax7 versions i tried, although i kinda assume they came with a 12ay7 like 50's fenders. its a great amp for sure and if i found one at a great price, id probably jump on it but i have so many amps and pretty much use my bf dr or a little custom 1x12 thing 95% of the time.

Comment

Cool amps!! VERY UNDERRATED and the tones are WICKED! Owned a 59 Gibsonette at one time and have a 53 BA-6 here now BADASS AMPS!! CONGRATS!!
                  Guitars
                  Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                  Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by YeRedHouseOverYonder View Post
                    The earlier '55s had the 6SL7s. At least with the GA-6, maybe the GA 20s are the same. I know that the GA-6 uses the same PT as a GA20.

I definitely approve of this thread. I had a '55 GA-6 and the microphone input was great. I only really played with that and the 1st input. These are definitely a bit warmer than fenders. The 6SL7 GA 6 sounded a bit cleaner cranked too. I want to pick up a 2 12ax7 version.

Edit: if you switch out the filter caps, I really liked F&T. I know Jupiter and Sozo sell repro caps that sound like old Astrons if you decide to replace coupling caps. The amp looks sweet. I'm definitely having some old Gibson amp GAS now for sure haha.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
                    They are a little warmer than 50’s Fenders and thicker sounding too.

The output Tranny is screwed to the speaker like they used to do.

I do prefer the sound to a Tweed Fender Deluxe...but I like those too of course!
                    Last edited by Lewguitar; 01-31-2018, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Way cool amp! Congrats. Was that a CL score - as I had seen a couple of 50's Gibson Amps that have been listed recently?
                      MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
                      1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
                      1988 Kramer Nightswan
                      1989 Charvel Sambora
                      2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
                      Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
                      Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                        And crank it up all the way and it’s like a baby Marshall!
                        Wait a minute, so you’re saying that cranking a tube amp to get the power section really hot results in a better sound?

(Kidding- joke from another thread)
                        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                          Wait a minute, so you’re saying that cranking a tube amp to get the power section really hot results in a better sound?

(Kidding- joke from another thread)
                          Yep. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n9ODNQPQo3A

Comment

Working...
                          X