banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A couple very old Zepplin TV recordings with amps I don't recognize, do you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple very old Zepplin TV recordings with amps I don't recognize, do you?

First up are these two from Danish TV in 1969. Black and white TV.

How Many More Times:
    TV performance recorded on Danmarks Radio / Danish TV in Copenhagen.► Listen to Mothership https://lnk.to/StreamMothership ♪ Watch all episodes of Led Zeppel...

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
    TV performance recorded on Danmarks Radio / Danish TV in Copenhagen.► Listen to Mothership https://lnk.to/StreamMothership ♪ Watch all episodes of Led Zeppel...

this looks to be only a little later in 1969 but they have geared up.

In they have a a lot of matched amps on stage, I assume, again the PA is just another part of the several stacks of components here.

Dazed and Confused.

I can't make out the brand / type in any of these, but I bet someone here can.

I like Led Zep, but that are not my favorite band, or even favorite of the era. (I had a room mate for a while whose favorite band was Zepplin, so I have heard it all many times.)

The first two cuts are pretty nice, the last one shows the part of Zep that bugs me, it's just self indulgent. Page kept doing that "play with violin bow" all the way through the bands existence.

"For old fashioned blues and rock, something about heavy tubes, heavy transformers, heavy speakers and heavy cabinets just works." PFDarkside

Re: A couple very old Zepplin TV recordings with amps I don't recognize, do you?

Man, Robert Plant is so young in those that he doesn't even look like Robert Plant...lol

Comment

Re: A couple very old Zepplin TV recordings with amps I don't recognize, do you?

Before the decadent coke and alcohol fueled lifestyle became an everyday life.

"For old fashioned blues and rock, something about heavy tubes, heavy transformers, heavy speakers and heavy cabinets just works." PFDarkside

Comment

I think I figured out what the amps in the second one are: WEM.
        I have never heard of them before. Reading the article it's interesting to think that as recently as 1970 even for huge events the sound systems were sort of lash-together affairs.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	WEM_PA.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	5805057

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	WEM-AMP.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	5805058
          Guitar Amp

Comment

Robert Plant is 20 in these videos. He didn’t turn 21 till August that year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wem were used extensively by Pink Floyd back then. They used Wem boxes with HiWatt Heads
              sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
              - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by dr0 View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]86668[/ATTACH]
                Guitar Amp
                The Wem Dominator was one of Noel Gallagher's studio secrets BITD.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dr0 View Post
                  First up are these two from Danish TV in 1969. Black and white TV.

How Many More Times:

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

this looks to be only a little later in 1969 but they have geared up.

In they have a a lot of matched amps on stage, I assume, again the PA is just another part of the several stacks of components here.

Dazed and Confused.

I can't make out the brand / type in any of these, but I bet someone here can.

I like Led Zep, but that are not my favorite band, or even favorite of the era. (I had a room mate for a while whose favorite band was Zepplin, so I have heard it all many times.)

The first two cuts are pretty nice, the last one shows the part of Zep that bugs me, it's just self indulgent. Page kept doing that "play with violin bow" all the way through the bands existence.
                  LedZep never used Wem that I know of, so my guess is that the backline was provided for the show. It's possible that their actual amps were hidden behind all of the Wems.

For Danmarks Radio, John Paul Jones is playing through a Marshall Superbass while Jimmy Page is playing through a Dallas Arbiter Power 100. I don't recognize the cab under the head, but the other one is a Rickenbacker Transonic.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Might be Sound City amps in Babe (?)

Comment

Wow, WEM/Watkins... I had one of their guitars when I was a teenager.
                      I remember their very famous 'Copycat' magnetic tape looper...

Comment

Working...
                      X