Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall DSL20CR vs Vox Custom AC15

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
    Obsolete thread now, but just for peoples information, I read on another forum a report by the owner of both the new DSL20HR and a older DSL15, that the channel voicing of the new DSL20 doesn't match up to the older 15.

According to the report, the Green channel can do both crunch and cleaner depending how you dial it in. It's also warmer and more organic.

The Red channel is closer to the lead 1 on the old JCM2000 DSLs according to the report.
    Man I need to start charging folks that post on my obsolete thread [emoji3].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Obsolete thread now, but just for peoples information, I read on another forum a report by the owner of both the new DSL20HR and a older DSL15, that the channel voicing of the new DSL20 doesn't match up to the older 15.

According to the report, the Green channel can do both crunch and cleaner depending how you dial it in. It's also warmer and more organic.

The Red channel is closer to the lead 1 on the old JCM2000 DSLs according to the report.
      This is good news. To be honest I would prefer this arrangement to the big DSL. Cuz really? A modern channel switching amp, with a Plexi-ish channel, but you can't footswitch between clean and gain modes in it. And a hot rodded 800 style channel, but you can't footswitch between crunch and lead. And at anything less than stage volume the channels have such different tones that almost no one I've heard from seems to like it as a channel switcher! Instead it's like having 4 really different amps in one box.

If the DSL20 cut that down to more like having two different amps in one box that are worthless to switch between I think that's a HUGE improvment

Comment

Originally posted by UTGrad View Post
        Man I need to start charging folks that post on my obsolete thread [emoji3].

Sorry about that. I thought you had ended your search.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
          This is good news. To be honest I would prefer this arrangement to the big DSL. Cuz really? A modern channel switching amp, with a Plexi-ish channel, but you can't footswitch between clean and gain modes in it. And a hot rodded 800 style channel, but you can't footswitch between crunch and lead. And at anything less than stage volume the channels have such different tones that almost no one I've heard from seems to like it as a channel switcher! Instead it's like having 4 really different amps in one box.

If the DSL20 cut that down to more like having two different amps in one box that are worthless to switch between I think that's a HUGE improvment
          Yup, most people, including myself, when playing the old DSLs tend to play them as single channel amps.

Comment

Sorry about that. I thought you had ended your search.
            Haha no problem. I’m waiting for my ship to roll in and then there will be a trip to Guitar Center.

I hate to ask another question but what pedal would y’all recommend if switching from green to red channels is not going to sound all that great.

Comment

Haha no problem. I’m waiting for my ship to roll in and then there will be a trip to Guitar Center.

I hate to ask another question but what pedal would y’all recommend if switching from green to red channels is not going to sound all that great.

The new ones might be better at it than the old ones.

Comment

I had a Boss BD-2 Blues Driver and a Danelecto Cool Cat OD (which is reportedly based off the fulltone OCD) and I liked them for classic rock sounds. I liked them for their flatter EQ with not a ton of gain, and just used the green channel mostly as it had the fuller sounding low end. If I was playing really loud, a tube screamer would work better as it rolls off some bass.

The red channel was cool but it had so much gain that I never used a drive pedal with it, just dial in a lead sound with the guitar volume on full and then lower the guitar volume for crunch.

Comment

vox all day long.
                  Ive never heard an axe that doesnt sound great through it.
                  "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

basically do you want to sound like ACDC/The Scorpions or The Stooges/Queen?
                    Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
                    http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

Working...
                    X