NAD: JCM 900 2500 SL-X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD: JCM 900 2500 SL-X

Got the EL34 version. Sounds great through my mahogany 2x12 with WGS Veteran 30s.

A couple of mods/repairs done to the amp:

1. Tranny was "converted" from 110v to 220v. Seller said it was just a matter of tapping the 2x 110v wires. No rewinding.

2. All pots changed. Seller can't remember the brand but he assured me it's the same values. Channel A volume is scratchy.

Tubes are made in Germany, so probably NOS stuff. But I'm thinking of doing a full retube.

Any recommendations?

Sent from my FL02 using Tapatalk

Re: NAD: JCM 900 2500 SL-X

nice! always loved those heads. nothing to help ya other than rock that ****!

Comment

Congrats! I;m a fan of the SL-X myself. Some contact cleaner will most likely take care of the scratchy issue.
      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Congrats! I think they should reiussue the SL-X rather than the Dual Reverb. Much better version of the JCM900, IMO.

Comment

Love it!

Bill
          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
            Congrats! I;m a fan of the SL-X myself. Some contact cleaner will most likely take care of the scratchy issue.
            I actually liked it better than the dual rectifier that the seller had as well. Although, I only got to test the orange channel of the dual rectifier as the red channel wasn't working. Nothing like that "sizzle" of a Marshall. The dual rectifier sounded a lot darker in comparison.

I still need to experiment on the "sensitivity" vs "preamp volume" thing. Never had anything like it before. But I can pretty much dial in a good sound immediately with the amp.

Nwy... before I spray some contact cleaner, I need to remove the chassis right? Should I replace it with some Marshall genuine replacement or CTS pots?

Any suggestions for tubes?

I'm thinking of JJs like I did with my JCM800. A friend of mine retubed his Carvin Legacy 1 with Tung Sols.

Comment

The only recommendation I have is to mail that JCM800 to my home address!!

Congrats on the new amp. I ended up using the Groove Tubes EL34-M and I'm pretty happy with them. You can pick your hardness level from 1-10....the lower the number the easier the tubes will break up. That's a neat little way to customize your tone, based on your needs. I wanted to go with a hardness level of 4, but my choices were 3 or 7. I figured for my needs, 3 was as good as 4, since I need earlier breakup at the lower volumes I tend to play at.
              My Sound Clips

Comment

Haha! I'm not letting go of that JCM 800 combo. If ever I'm getting another amp, it's probably another head - an AFD100 or 2550 Silver Jubilee.

I'll read up on those Groove Tubes. Earlier on, I've been tempted on those JJ EL34 II. They say it's quite a different flavor of the EL34.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                  Congrats! I think they should reiussue the SL-X rather than the Dual Reverb. Much better version of the JCM900, IMO.
                  Yeah, that was a weird choice. Seems most everybody agrees that the SL-X was the superior amp.
                  --------------------------------------------------------
                  1973 Aria 551
                  1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                  1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                  1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                  1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                  1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                  2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                    Yeah, that was a weird choice. Seems most everybody agrees that the SL-X was the superior amp.
                    Perhaps it's the versatility that they want? But then again, there's the DSL100H

Comment

Originally posted by fretburner View Post

I'll read up on those Groove Tubes. Earlier on, I've been tempted on those JJ EL34 II. They say it's quite a different flavor of the EL34.
                      Wow, I nearly went with that new JJ as well. I was just a little worried it might stray a bit to far from the "normal" Marshall sound; if there is such a thing. My GT's are good, but I may just step out on a limb next time and try the new JJ's.

Good luck whatever you decide and enjoy that new amp.
                      My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by fretburner View Post
                        Nwy... before I spray some contact cleaner, I need to remove the chassis right? Should I replace it with some Marshall genuine replacement or CTS pots?
                        First try it with just taking the knob off and spray there, sometimes it's enough to get in there. If not then you will have to pull the chasis out to spray in the pot. Shouldn't need to replace it if it's only scratchy.
                        TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

That exact amp is among my 3 fav Marshalls ever. I've been (ab)using the very same EL34 model since the late '90s and I love it.

I use JJ electronic tubes with that and I'm really happy with them.
                          Wackor
                          Ørdøg
                          NecroPolo
                          Diabolus in Musica
                          SIDrip Alliance
                          Book of Shadows
                          RKH

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
                            First try it with just taking the knob off and spray there, sometimes it's enough to get in there. If not then you will have to pull the chasis out to spray in the pot. Shouldn't need to replace it if it's only scratchy.
                            I was thinking of replacing the pots because I don't know the brand they used when they repaired/restored it.

Comment

Originally posted by NecroPolo View Post
                              That exact amp is among my 3 fav Marshalls ever. I've been (ab)using the very same EL34 model since the late '90s and I love it.

I use JJ electronic tubes with that and I'm really happy with them.
                              Just the regular EL34 from JJ?

Comment

Working...
                              X