This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny battery-powered amp advice please

I'm thinking about getting a small, battery powered amp. I want it to be small so I can leave it on the coffee table or a shelf in my front room, and it doesn't have to sound amazing, because I will probably be watching tv at the same time. Doesn't need a decent clean sound.
    A friend of mine has a Marshall DS-1 or whatever it's called, I want something about the same volume as that for giving him lessons.

The Boss Katana Mini looks very good, but it seems like more than I need, so I'm currently looking at:

The Orange Crush Mini- the tuner would save me going to get my Polytune when I wanted to play. The speaker out seems cool, but not sure if I would use it.

EVH 5150 Micro Stack- cheapest, seems to sound passable.

Blackstar Fly 3- 2 channels, which is a bonus. Only slightly more expensive than the Orange. More battery-intensive. Best tones of the three maybe?

Any thoughts on them?

Re: Tiny battery-powered amp advice please

Roland Microcube.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

The Blackstar Fly 3 is the only one I have any experience with and have no complaints for what it is.

-Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
      “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Marshall MS-4

Click image for larger version

Name:	11569789_800.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	5805128

...which reminds me - I gotta mic this little guy up and make some clips.

Comment

Another vote for the Blackstar Fly. I love mine!
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I use a VOX headphone amp and run it into computer or a Bluetooth speaker for that pourpose. It sounds amazing and is double duty when I want to use headphones.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post

The Orange Crush Mini- the tuner would save me going to get my Polytune when I wanted to play. The speaker out seems cool, but not sure if I would use it.

EVH 5150 Micro Stack- cheapest, seems to sound passable.

Blackstar Fly 3- 2 channels, which is a bonus. Only slightly more expensive than the Orange. More battery-intensive. Best tones of the three maybe?

Any thoughts on them?
              I have the Orange and the EVH. Orange has real weight to it since it is housed in real wood. Soundwise it has not got a lot of distortion and it is turned on by a button. It has good 70's rock tones in it. The tuner is not that great if you want really spot on tuning.

The EVH has really good range of tones from clean to heavy distortion. It is more versatile than the Orange. The Marshall MS-4 LLL suggested is similar to the EVH in its tone capabilities. The differrence is that the Marshall has two speakers in it.

Comment

The tuner in the Orange is tempting, but the Fly 3 seems to have much more flexibility; the Orange seems quite fuzzy, which I like, but it seems a bit limited.

Comment

Vote for Fly 3 too. It's really fun little amp.
                  "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                  Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Ok, as much as I want to know what the Orange sounds like with two Big Muffs in front of it, I think the Fly 3 is the best choice. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
                    X